G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil leak

5 posters

Go down

Oil leak  Empty Oil leak

Post by JF74chevelle Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:51 pm

Hey guys, I have a massive oil leak on my Chevy 350. I can't find where it's coming from but it's on the front passanger control arm and engine cross member. I don't think it's from the timing chain or the pan, but where else on the from of the block?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Oil leak  Empty Re: Oil leak

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:34 pm

There is a bolt that is supposed to be in the front of the block near the timing cover that seals off a threaded hole going into the fuel pump push rod inside the block. I've seen these loosen up and leak. Also check the fuel pump and fuel pump mounting plate gaskets. Good luck.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:11 am

This oil leak came after I got on the motor pretty hard, what could've caused that?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:23 am

That sounds exactly like a pan gasket leak. Try to clean everything up as much as possible. Scrape, then brush with hot Dawn soap solution. After that dries off spray everything down with a couple cans of brake cleaner.

That will give you as dry of a surface as possible to verify where the leak is actually coming from. Good luck!
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:18 am

JF74chevelle wrote:This oil leak came after I got on the motor pretty hard, what could've caused that?

Possibly pressurizing the crankcase with blow by?
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:06 am

Pam gasket, valve cover, is there a breather on that side valve cover? Any senders on that side that could have blown out?

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:03 pm

On the passanger side the valve cover only Has the oil add hole with no breather, driver side has the breather. My motor definitely burns a little oil and I know it has some blow-by. I'm going to take a look today, I was so tired getting home last night I didn't even take a look. But I think it's is the pan gasket.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down