G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

best method of 73 big-quarter window trim re-install?

2 posters

Go down

best method of 73 big-quarter window trim re-install? Empty best method of 73 big-quarter window trim re-install?

Post by clanceman427 Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:40 pm

Just wondering if anyone who's re-installed (at least a couple times) the rear quarter window interior trim on big quarter window cars (like 73 Chevelle SS), what is your preferred method?  I've tried to reinstall this trim, either with the "triangle" pre-assembled to themselves, or individually.  Also do you wrap the B pillar first on the vertical piece or pull that into place last?  I'd hate to break one of these pieces due to incorrect technique.

Just would like to hear any tricks that you might have.  The funny thing is- this all started one night when I figured I'd remove the vinyl top chrome trim from my car to see if I could take out some dents in it, and just assumed that I needed to pull the interior panels in the rear seat area in order to access trim nuts (wrong!  they are fixed with the exterior studs accessed from the outside!)  except of course for the couple nuts that you access from inside the trunk.  But it was a good learning experience nonetheless, as now I know how all the pieces attach, and I was also able to troubleshoot (and fix) my non-working dome light.  Did not find the build sheet though, as that was also one other reason I wanted to pull those interior panels.

I must say, it is useful to learn how to re-assemble your car as practice BEFORE it's restored and all done, so that you are not struggling with pretty pieces at the re-assembly phase.  Also found it interesting that there is no trim below the rear window at the bottom on the interior side, the factory simply painted the metal to match.  Right?  I didn't see any fasteners, and a magnet stuck to it.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

best method of 73 big-quarter window trim re-install? Empty Re: best method of 73 big-quarter window trim re-install?

Post by Joe73 Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:20 pm

Yes, the trim below the rear window is just painted. I bought a can of Krylon that is an exact match and I messed it up right before I painted my car in October. As for the triangle trim. Looking at the driver side trim I put it in in two pieces. First the big piece top left corner lower left corner than the right side hooked end-all in place then the top piece of trim connecting the two ends
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

best method of 73 big-quarter window trim re-install? Empty Re: best method of 73 big-quarter window trim re-install?

Post by clanceman427 Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:49 pm

Joe, superb advice as usual, thanks! Got the whole side in tonight.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down