G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting problems help

2 posters

Go down

Starting problems help Empty Starting problems help

Post by nowforever13 Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:37 pm

recently installed a new starter. and ive always hooked up the S lead for some reason now i can start the car at both the key cylinder AND the switch on the column but neither can kill spark to the car?
I recently bought a new IG switch because I thought that was the problem.. nope I can stick a screw driver through the rod hole move it and turn it on but when I move it the opposite way (what would be key off position) it doesn't kill the spark at all. but it does kill my electronics>? I tried this with both the old and new IG switches so its not the cylinder itself is it??? the only way it can be killed is by pushing the accelerator pump or by unplugging the distributor I am at a 100% loss never seen anything like that in my life
nowforever13
nowforever13
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Starting problems help Empty Re: Starting problems help

Post by bigredlaguna Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Check all the wires that are pink or pink/black. You may have a constant 12v wire crossed into the circuit or some other situation that is supplying constant voltage to the ignition circuit. If they are good, it almost has to be the switch again.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:20 pm

nowforever13 wrote: the only way it can be killed is by pushing the accelerator pump

Look here. Way up under the dash your accelerator arm is moving something that is removing the source of electricity.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by nowforever13 Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:59 am

bigredlaguna wrote:Check all the wires that are pink or pink/black. You may have a constant 12v wire crossed into the circuit or some other situation that is supplying constant voltage to the ignition circuit. If they are good, it almost has to be the switch again.
i MAY have found it when i unplugged the switch a single red wire came out. i put it back where i thought it went but perhaps not. it was one of the red wires to the far left closer to the firewall on the switch. there is almost only one place it could have went but the chances that both switches are bad? and when i put my starter back on i noticed that one of the wires that goes to the positive terminal was frayed and such.. so i replaced it and hooked up the solenoid wire to S terminal. which is where it always has gone if im correct
nowforever13
nowforever13
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down