G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'76 Laguna S3 emblems

5 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

'76 Laguna S3 emblems Empty '76 Laguna S3 emblems

Post by BAS-Sr Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:48 am

When I got this '76 S3 went through all the stuff in the car, found 2 of the tags that go on the emblems (see picture).

As far as I can tell there should only be 3 S3 emblems on these, one on the grill and one on each fender?

So I see how these tags go on the emblems, the 2 I have need some work, the clear covering on mine have differing issues. One has some type of black on it, maybe spray paint? They both have a rough exterior finish which could be from time or maybe some sort of caustic such as lacquer thinner? Any ideas on how to refurb the exterior?

Anyone know if anyone repro's these? I still need another one, or maybe 3 to replace all of them.

'76 Laguna S3 emblems Grill_10
'76 Laguna S3 emblems 18021310
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

'76 Laguna S3 emblems Empty Re: '76 Laguna S3 emblems

Post by Joe73 Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:12 pm

For the black stuff definitely try a "clay bar". Walmart usually has a deal on Mequiars 2 pack. Stuff works great on anything!! Great on overspray and even glass.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:20 pm

Joe73 wrote:For the black stuff definitely try a "clay bar".  Walmart usually has a deal on Mequiars 2 pack.  Stuff works great on anything!!  Great on overspray and even glass.

Wondering how to polish up the finish to look like the original and have it clear?
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:48 pm

Actually, you should have a fourth emblem that goes on the tail panel.  Along with the grill emblem, this one is also hard to find (although a person can modify a much more common '74 grill emblem to fit a '75/'76).  Just FYI...it's been stated on this site by those who have bought the repros from The Parts Place that the colored center decal will sun fade in short order.

I don't know what that black stuff is on the one center decal...but, the rough, cloudy finish is simply due to aging of plastic.  As for restoring those you have...I've done a number of them and have had pretty good results restoring to a very presentable degree of clarity.  It's basically hand polishing plastic by wet sanding starting with say 600-800 grit and working your way up to 2000 grit.  Finish with a plastic polish.  They'll never look brand new...but, you'll be surprised at how well they turn out.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:Actually, you should have a fourth emblem that goes on the tail panel.  Along with the grill emblem, this one is also hard to find (although a person can modify a much more common '74 grill emblem to fit a '75/'76).  Just FYI...it's been stated on this site by those who have bought the repros from The Parts Place that the colored center decal will sun fade in short order.

I don't know what that black stuff is on the one center decal...but, the rough, cloudy finish is simply due to aging of plastic.  As for restoring those you have...I've done a number of them and have had pretty good results restoring to a very presentable degree of clarity.  It's basically hand polishing plastic by wet sanding starting with say 600-800 grit and working your way up to 2000 grit.  Finish with a plastic polish.  They'll never look brand new...but, you'll be surprised at how well they turn out.

Thanks!

That's what I was thinking about restoring these, hand/wet sand them to a point them polish them with the same type stuff you use on the newer vehicle headlight plastic to make them clear (or as well as that works).

I have to look at the rear panel again, don't think there is an emblem there? Always challenged when I go to do anything on this S3, always COLD here when I get time to do anything, so always in a rush to get it done and close up the S3, can't wait for some warmer days so I can putz around with the stuff that needs to get addressed! :-)
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Mother's aluminum mag polish is excellent on plastic.  Especially headlights.  Theres youtube vidoes using it.

If I remember correctly, theres a guy on facebook reproducing the "type" bar of the laguna emblem.

I have a '74 grill emblem if you want to mod it for the rear of your car.   https://www.g3gm.com/t11488-items-for-sale-laguna-s3-emblem
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:28 pm

The rear panel emblem is maybe 20-25% larger than the grill emblems. There should have been three mtg holes between your right tail light and the license plate.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:08 pm

'76 Laguna S3 emblems 30839510

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:07 pm

Here's a side to side comparison of the fender emblem with the rear panel emblem. You'll notice that the rear emblem on the right is slightly larger but thinner than the fender emblem. It also has 3 mounting studs where the fender emblem only has 2 which are longer. Hope this helps.

'76 Laguna S3 emblems 20180225

'76 Laguna S3 emblems 20180222
'76 Laguna S3 emblems 20180223
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Had some time today, took one of the emblems and polished it, the one without the black stuff on it, started with 400 grit, then 600, then 800, then used Mother Plastic Polish, turned out great. Picture does not do it justice, only aspect is the backer and the clear cover has a few spots along the edge that are separating, you can see along the lower right edge....still have the other one to do, still looking for 2 of these if any one has extras!

'76 Laguna S3 emblems S3_emb10
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down