G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SBC Timing Cover for 400 Larger Harmonic Balancer

4 posters

Go down

SBC Timing Cover for 400 Larger Harmonic Balancer Empty SBC Timing Cover for 400 Larger Harmonic Balancer

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Building the 383 for the new '76 Laguna S3 I picked up, going to use the original 350 block, have a 400 SBC crank, flexplate, and harmonic balancer, going to get a 383 piston/rod kit but noticed that the harmonic balancer on the 350 block is the smaller one so the timing tab on the timing cover will not work with the larger harmonic balancer for the 400.

Anyone have a undented SBC 400 timing cover with good timing tab? don't care if it is dirty, greasy, just needs to be undented with good timing tab.

Let me know what you have!
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

SBC Timing Cover for 400 Larger Harmonic Balancer Empty Re: SBC Timing Cover for 400 Larger Harmonic Balancer

Post by pila Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:02 pm

I assume you mean using the 400 crank ? Or is it a 383 crank ? The 400 crank has larger main journals than the 350 crank & block..no fit..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

SBC Timing Cover for 400 Larger Harmonic Balancer Empty Re: SBC Timing Cover for 400 Larger Harmonic Balancer

Post by Joe73 Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:11 pm

Not to get off topic but just to put it out there in case anyone isnt familiar. The 400 is the only Chevy small block that is externally balanced. All the other chevy small blocks are internally balanced.

So the balancer and flexplate/flywheel for a 400 are different and have extra weights on them.

Just for people that are not familiar with the 400 small block.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

TW Monte likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 pm

pila wrote:I assume you mean using the 400 crank ? Or is it a 383 crank ? The 400 crank has larger main journals than the 350 crank & block..no fit..

Yup, did not get into the machine work that has to be done, have to have the mains cut down to go into the 350 block.

My thought is that it will be cool to have the original 350 block in the car, same stamping with the original VIN on it!
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 pm

Joe73 wrote:Not to get off topic but just to put it out there in case anyone isnt familiar.  The 400 is the only Chevy small block that is externally balanced.  All the other chevy small blocks are internally balanced.  

So the balancer and flexplate/flywheel for a 400 are different and have extra weights on them.  

Just for people that are not familiar with the 400 small block.

You are correct, the flexplate, crank, and harmonic balancer are all specific to the 400 SBC's (454's BBC are the same way) for the externally balanced rotating assemblies!
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:15 pm

a pointer setup for an 8” balancer is all you need. There were lots of 350’s that had them too.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down