G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Th350 shifting problems

+3
thatfnthing
bracketchev1221
Trouble86
7 posters

Go down

Th350 shifting problems Empty Th350 shifting problems

Post by Trouble86 Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:01 pm

I have a 1986 Chevy k10 with a rebuilt th350 tranny. It was my main vehicle for two years and I got another vehicle to go to college in so the 86 has sat for 2 years. I get in to drive it and it has a hard time shifting from 1st -2nd and from 2nd -3rd but shifts from 3rd -4th just fine. When it shifts from 1st -2nd it shifts hard around 35 MPH and has a stutter shift from 2nd -3rd. Can anyone help me diagnose the issue? Thanks in Advance!

Trouble86
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Th350 shifting problems Empty Re: Th350 shifting problems

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:22 am

T-350 only has 3 gears.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:31 am

bracketchev1221 wrote:T-350 only has 3 gears.

Wasn't there a lockup version of the TH350 in later years?  TH350C, I think? The lockup tends to feel like another gear shift. Don't know what vehicles had it.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:34 pm

1980 and newer TH350's had the lock up converters. That would explain why it feels like another shift after the 2-3 shift.

Last edited by fasrnur on Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:56 pm

Sometimes the modulator can be the problem, or the vacuum line running to the modulator from the intake manifold..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:00 am

It is knows as a one year deal called a th350c. I have one in my chevelle right now. It was a 89 year thing and was used in everything from corvette to pickups. It is not wery strong and dont take much abuse. But it is the only trans that rumor says can be run without the lockup hooked up. I have driven mine 3 years now without the lockup and it works fine. Just like a normal 350. I would start with the filter and fluid, change it and make sure its the correct level. If it dosent work look at the vacum hose to the trans modulator. If fine it could be the orings inside thet is dried out or the govenor that sticks. That means pulling the trans.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by jaybee Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:04 pm

When you have the pan off. Check the s-link, that connects the external shift shaft to the internal shift valve on left side of valve body. To do so remove link, put shifter in neutral,  then manually  put trans in neutral  and check s-link. It may need a slight tweet to go in position without moving either item. Had a Trans years ago kick my azz and a local Trans guy told me of this. Easy to overlook and as I  understand is the result of reverse drops and harsh use in general.  Car had similar  shift issues  you describe. S-link is about mid way back on left side of Trans and easily accessible with pan off. Also, check govner on right side of trans. May need to lower trans to miss exhaust. Remove round cover on right side of trans just above pan and check for free movement, may be sticking and shifting under hi govner pressure. As mentioned above also check vacuum modulator valve for fluid, diaphram may be damaged. Good lluck
jaybee
jaybee
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down