G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Axle info

4 posters

Go down

Axle info Empty Axle info

Post by mrkrause Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:05 pm

I have a 2011 Silverado 3500 single wheel 4WD 3.73 gear ratio rear axle that is going out. I’ve been looking around for a used one, but I seem to need more specific information. Ring size? Slip/limited slip? It looks like a 2500 would work, and it appears that this axle has been used in trucks as far back in the 90’s.....

I found some numbers on the 14 bolt cover.......27410 87967 AAM.

I’d like to have as much information as possible about this axle to assure a good fit/purchase.

Any help or guidance will be appreciated!

Ken Krause

mrkrause
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Axle info Empty Re: Axle info

Post by Joe73 Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:26 pm

If you have the diesel you most probably have the 11.5 ring gear. Thats what I have. I would go to gmpartsdirect.com, enter your vin number in the lower right and search for your rear axle parts. That should tell you what you have.

Another thing would be to go to rpocodes.com and there should be a decal in your glove box with all the codes and options for your vehicle. Go through them and it could come up with whats inside your rear axle.

But I'd bet 11.5 ring gear. Good luck with it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkrause Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks Joe. I checked out both of those places. Yup, I’ve got a 11.5. The search is on.

mrkrause
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:06 pm

car-parts.com put in your year make and model and allow interchange. Then put in your zip code. it will show you all the junk yards around you. Good Luck
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkrause Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:38 pm

Wow ! Ok, I found one !
Thanks Joe !

mrkrause
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Also in your glove box will give you a code that you'll need for finding a rear diff. GU something is what you're looking for.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Thats correct. Those are RPO codes and rpocodes.com will break it down.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:39 am

If you have the RPO code of G80 you have what GM calls a GovLoc. Ram uses the same axle on their diesels, but they use an actual Limited Slip diff. If you want a real Limited Slip which is stronger than the GM GovLoc you may want to search for the carrier from a Ram with the LS option.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:48 am

GM uses an eaton locker since the body style change in 2000. Gov lock is the last of the gm "posi". GM still uses the G80 code but he has a locker. I had a gov lock in my 96 tahoe. My 07.5 2500hd diesel has a locker as well. GMs locker are actually real good. If theres an rpm difference greater than 100 between the wheels it locks. Some people say you can sometimes hear it lock with the windows open but I've never heard it even on my buddies 04 suburban.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down