G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacement Carpet

+5
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Iggy
Hawk03
fasrnur
76 Malibu
9 posters

Go down

Replacement Carpet Empty Replacement Carpet

Post by 76 Malibu Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:20 pm

My '76 Malibu needs a new carpet. It has a 64C Buckskin Cloth interior. Does anyone know what the correct replacement carpet for this interior would be? Any recommendations on brands? I assume ACC is the standard choice?

Also, do they make a two piece carpet like the factory, with the vinyl edging, or are all replacement carpets one piece?

Thanks!
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Replacement Carpet Empty Re: Replacement Carpet

Post by fasrnur Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:47 pm

I used ACC carpet in mine and it's a two piece carpet. Replacement Carpet 05121910
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:29 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I must have remembered wrong, I thought ACC only sold one piece carpets.

Yours looks great. What colour code is that? From looking at the ACC website, it looks like buckskin would be the closest to my interior but it looks darker and more brown than my OEM carpet. I am not sure if they would have am exact match.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:30 pm

I ordered mine from stockinteriors.com. It was a one piece molded carpet. I ordered a few samples so I could look at them before I bought. I think they were $1 each or something.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:29 pm

I may have to order samples to try and match it closely. I am just not sure what they will cost to send up to Canada. I was hoping someone had a same colour interior and had already got a carpet.

From Acc's website it only shows two browns, Carmel and buckskin for a 76 Malibu. Neither look to be a perfect match from the screen. Maybe its nor possible to match the original exactly?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:45 pm

Buckskin if I remember correctly sir. Mine was lighter in color and I didn't want the lighter color as I drive the crap out of mine and didn't want it to show as much dirt. lol
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:02 pm

I just ordered some samples from Stock Interiors for my 1978 C20, my interior is Buckskin but Saddle looked closer to what my carpeting is. I had samples of both and sure enough, my carpet and lower door panels are Saddle according to their chart. It is a good idea to get the samples and confirm.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:47 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd update. ACC sent me some colour samples (for free!) and none are a perfect match. The closest to my carpet appears to be the 830 Buckskin. It is slightly lighter than my OEM carpet but it matches the seats very nicely. Code 820 Saddle is pretty close too, but on the darkerside. I am probably going to order the 830 Buckskin.

Anyone order carpet from RockAuto? They seem to have the best prices with shipping on ACC carpet.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:31 pm

I bought carpet for my 1978 GMC K25 through Rock Auto - Despite all the disclaimers on back order and such, it arrived in less than 10 days!
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:31 am

I 2nd the Rock Auto choice. They were the least expensive I could find and it ships straight from the manufacturer which I think all the options are ACC brand. I bought a carpet for my 77 El Camino I restored 2 years back and it fit very well. Mine was a 1 piece carpet since it was for a 77 model year. I believe 73-76 carpets are all 2 piece sets?
Replacement Carpet 20190811
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 33

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:27 pm

g3chevy, did that carpet have to be trimmed at the back wall or did it somehow go up the back wall. I am considering buying new carpet and buying a roll at the same time to cover the back wall.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:05 pm

77camino wrote:g3chevy, did that carpet have to be trimmed at the back wall or did it somehow go up the back wall. I am considering buying new carpet and buying a roll at the same time to cover the back wall.

I had to cut it to fit. The back wall I trimmed to where it went up on the wall a couple inches. It covered the carpet for the back wall as seen in the pics below. This was a 77 El Camino with all the original interior so I used it as my template.

Replacement Carpet Floorb10Replacement Carpet Floorb11
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered from RockAuto tonight. My standard 5% discount actually worked out some how to be a fair bit more as it discounted the shipping too. So it was an even better deal yet.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:55 pm

I purchased one from Opgi for my 73 Monte fit terrible and it was one piece which it should of been 2. After 75 they were one piece. I ordered a new one 2 piece from ACC.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:09 pm

Reviving a an old thread.   For those who purchased the ACC carpet, did anyone choose the MASS BACKING?   Its a bit of an extra charge but ACC claims no need for sound deadener or heat sheild when using it.  The mass backing is already attached to the carpet and they also claim that it fits better.  Opinions?
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:43 pm

Joe, I spoke with an ACC rep via email before I bought carpet for my 87 El Camino to clarify what they were calling "mass backing". The carpet I pulled out had the mass backing on it which is a rubberized coating that is applied directly to the back of the carpet and then the jute backing is attached. I just went with the jute backing and used Dynamat on the floor pans. It's actually quieter and cooler inside the vehicle now. So I think the mass backing would be overkill if you use a sound deadener like Dynamat. Here's a pic of the carpet I pulled out for reference. Hope this helps.

Replacement Carpet 20190410
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 am

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:Joe, I spoke with an ACC rep via email before I bought carpet for my 87 El Camino to clarify what they were calling "mass backing". The carpet I pulled out had the mass backing on it which is a rubberized coating that is applied directly to the back of the carpet and then the jute backing is attached. I just went with the jute backing and used Dynamat on the floor pans. It's actually quieter and cooler inside the vehicle now. So I think the mass backing would be overkill if you use a sound deadener like Dynamat. Here's a pic of the carpet I pulled out for reference. Hope this helps.

Replacement Carpet 20190410

I have heard the same from the square body guys - pass on the "mass backing" and go with sound deadener.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:19 pm

Thank Iggy, good info. I was thinking of passing on the mass backing as well. I just requested two color samples to check out.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitchell Murphy Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:00 am

Yes, I agree with G3 Chevy, I always by the ACC carpet, always looks good and the Dynamat is the way to go. Mitch

Mitchell Murphy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down