G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horn Location - 77 El Camino

5 posters

Go down

Horn Location - 77 El Camino Empty Horn Location - 77 El Camino

Post by KMac Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:13 pm

Hi folks. New to the forum and to the Gen 3 G-body.

A friend bought back his late grandfather's last new car - '77 El Camino. Shop that was working on getting it fixed up into a decent driver got it about 70% done and gave up on it. I am helping him out by getting the car back together and fixing things the shop "overlooked."

This is a simple question but need some help. When I got it, the dual horns were laying inside the car, I assume they are correct horns for the car. I have them cleaned up and painted but cannot figure out where they mount. One has a bracket with a 90 degree bend on the end and about a 5/16" mounting hole, the other has an offset in the bracket but no 90 degree bend and a similar size mounting hole. Based on the length of the wiring harness and typical horn mounting, I expect they mount forward of the AC condenser and between the LH headlamps and hood latch bracket. This is not a restoration but still like to put things back as factory correct as possible. A description or picture would be great.

Thanks in advance.

KMac
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Horn Location - 77 El Camino Empty Re: Horn Location - 77 El Camino

Post by 77camino Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:33 pm

Welcome! My El Camino is tucked away for the winter, cannot get a picture. Both horns point down and are located inside the LF fender, in front of the inner wheel well.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:58 am

My Laguna has dual horns. The one with the 90 degree bracket mounts inside the core support hidden in front of the charcoal canister. The other mounts inside the front fender to the immediate left of the canister. Hope this helps.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by KMac Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:19 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously I was looking in the wrong area after incorrectly assuming from a volume standpoint the horns would be behind the grille. Will head out to the shop this evening and sort this out. Thanks again for the quick replies.

KMac
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:28 pm

Sun was at a weird angle, but here you go. I'm pretty sure my front end was rebuilt at some point. The horn under the left fender looks like the stock position but not sure about the one in front of the core support. I tried to get a pic of where it might be mounted on the inside--the hole through which the green wire goes may be the mounting hole, or there is another one further left.
Horn Location - 77 El Camino 77elky11
Horn Location - 77 El Camino 77elky10
Horn Location - 77 El Camino 77elky12Horn Location - 77 El Camino 77elky13

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:14 pm

I’m now thinking that my horns are not stock! My two horns are attached together with a bracket and both are mounted inside the fender hole. My previous owner did some dumb changes here and there for no reason. Why would he change the horns on a 20k mile car?? I guess I will  go with young and stupid, it was his dad’s car and he was making a “show car”. I’m just glad that he did not change anything major!
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:56 pm

Looks like my Laguna has the high note horn in front of the core support and the low note horn next to the charcoal canister. I believe on the 77 El Camino I just sold the low note was mounted in the same locatation as crice63's horn.

High Note Horn Location
Horn Location - 77 El Camino 75_lag13

Low Note Horn Location
Horn Location - 77 El Camino 75_lag15

Low Note Horn Location - Alternate
Horn Location - 77 El Camino 75_lag14
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:52 pm

Went out and uncovered the El Camino and got a picture. Ignore the dust! This is my horn setup, that I now believe is not stock. Anyone else have a setup like this?

Horn Location - 77 El Camino 86b0b310
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 am

That set up is not stock. Did anyone ever put some Caddy horns in their car? Loud! Where did you mount them ? I have a good working set from a seville I was thinking about putting in one of my cars but wanted to hide them.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down