G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bumpers needed !!!

5 posters

Go down

Bumpers needed !!! Empty Bumpers needed !!!

Post by RossM Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:47 pm

Looking for frt and rear bumpers for my ‘73 Chevelle. No impact strip or bumpers with bumperetts, if I can help it. Will pay, for really nice ones.

RossM
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Bumpers needed !!! Empty Re: Bumpers needed !!!

Post by 73ss Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:41 pm

If yours are decent and straight, consider getting them re-chromed. Even the NOS ones that show up on e-bay are not that great, been laying around close to 50yrs at this point. I had my front one re-done years ago and it is still looking good. Was going to do the back, but never got around to it.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:48 pm

I was going to suggest the same thing. You'll never find a used one that doesn't have at least a few minor scuffs, scratches, dings, or dull/freckled chrome...and, you'll still probably be into each one for at least $300+ with shipping factored in. Guess it depends on what you're willing to live with.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:38 pm

also Check with Car-part.com you might get lucky for some nice straight ones and MOST not all do ship but be prepared to get lots of detailed pics and then sticker shock

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by RossM Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:53 pm

Thanks guys. I priced having mine redone. Mine are really straight, no freckles, two very slight dings. But there are scars that won’t polish out. Had the best chrome shop in the Midwest, my opinion, Advanced plating, in Nashville, price redoing, had used them before about 20 yrs ago. Bumpers looked like jewelry when I got them on my 65 SS. Beautiful !
Wanted them to do these , but fell over when I got the price. $1250.00, each, plus shipping. Now, ya get what you pay for and all, but DAMN !!!

RossM
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:38 pm

Damn is right!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:07 am

RossM wrote:Wanted them to do these , but fell over when I got the price. $1250.00, each, plus shipping. Now, ya get what you pay for and all, but DAMN !!!

Partly it is you-get-what-you-pay-for with a quality shop. There's a local place here in Niagara Falls that does awesome work, but it cost me $350.00 just for a few bracket pieces for my A/C compressor and alternator.

The other part, though, is that now there's a lot of regulatory overhead and expense put on chroming shops due to a lot of previous bad actors poisoning the environment (chromium is actually pretty nasty stuff if it gets into the water supply), and those expenses get passed on to the customer.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by RossM Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:42 pm

I get it, thx !

RossM
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:44 pm

See if there is a LKQ in your area. "Auto dismantlers" nowadays, not a junk yard. They were tied in with Keystone corporation, don't know if they still are. The same Keystone that made wheels. The one here in Akron was doing bumpers. My Dad had some Jaguar bumpers done there, They turned out nice. I got a quote from them to do the rear bumper on my 73, If i remember right it was around $450. I should have had it done then, but something else came up at the time. I don't know if they are still doing it or not. Google it and see if one is in your area. They did the actual work up in Cleveland.

There is a NOS front on e-bay now for $450. The backside looks rough. It still has the green wrap on it. Once that wrap is peeled away there will probably be some pitting.

Last edited by 73ss on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added something)
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by RossM Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:50 pm

Thank you very much for the information. We actually have an LKQ here local. As it happens, I know the general mgr personally. And, he is into hot rods too. Had no idea LKQ did this.

RossM
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:56 pm

Thats great you have a contact.. The one here in Akron is on Triplett Blvd if he needs the info. Companies are always buying & selling divisions nowadays so I really don't know if they are still together. The Keystone office here was in the LKQ building. It's been 4~5 years since I was last there.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by RossM Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:06 pm

Just talked to him. Said they used to, but not for a few yrs, oh well. Thanks though.

RossM
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:28 pm

Go figure...They had a killer used tire business also. People there all the time. Went down to get a tire for my kids beater and they quit doing that also.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:34 pm

The Only KEYSTONE that does Bumpers is in Minnesota Jeff Hossler aka FSRNUR knows them I believe he works for LKQ

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down