G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steering wheel install

2 posters

Go down

Steering wheel install Empty Steering wheel install

Post by ant7377 Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:23 pm

I'm trying to put my stock steering wheel back on after replacing the little spring for turn signal switch. Is there a trick to this or do I just crank on the big nut in the middle to get it to seat? It's only got to go probably 1/8 more maybe less. Thanks Thumbs up
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Steering wheel install Empty Re: Steering wheel install

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:35 am

Did you remove the lock plate to get to the turn signal switch? I've had an issues recently with the turn signal cancelling cam being a slightly different design that kept the lock plate from compressing down far enough to seat the lock ring in place.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:47 am

g3chevy wrote:Did you remove the lock plate to get to the turn signal switch? I've had an issues recently with the turn signal cancelling cam being a slightly different design that kept the lock plate from compressing down far enough to seat the lock ring in place.

Yup. I did but that is all back together and good. I just don't want to damage the column by using too much force on it,since it is a collapsible column and a bearing or something can be damaged.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:22 pm

You can pull the steering wheel into position by tightening the securing nut which I think is 3/4"? Factory GM manual says to torque steering wheel securing nut to 30 ft lbs. Hope this helps.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:28 pm

g3chevy wrote:You can pull the steering wheel into position by tightening the securing nut which I think is 3/4"? Factory GM manual says to torque steering wheel securing nut to 30 ft lbs. Hope this helps.

Ok great. Thank you.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down