G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1977 Can Ams !!!!!

+5
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
Mitchell Murphy
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
454fourspeedss
impalamonte
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

1977 Can Ams !!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: 1977 Can Ams !!!!!

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:32 pm

Thanks Impalamonte & Limey! Saturday can't come soon enough! Mitch, your guy Ron is awesome to work with. Got there on schedule and had great communication with Mark in PA that sold me the "twins". Here's a couple pics of them being loaded up this afternoon.

1977 Can Ams !!!!! - Page 2 Resize12
1977 Can Ams !!!!! - Page 2 Resize10
1977 Can Ams !!!!! - Page 2 Resize13
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:40 pm

Congrats Bill! That is going to be a fun project.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:27 pm

Dude! I’m back from the river! Where are those cars???
I want to be there when they open that trailer. I have Can Am fever!
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:31 pm

HELL YEAH!!! Thumbs up Clapp Beer Thumbs up Clapp Beer
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:36 pm

Hawk03 wrote:Congrats Bill! That is going to be a fun project.

Thanks Hawk! So looking forward to playing with these cars!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:40 pm

REVINKEVIN wrote:Dude!  I’m back from the river!  Where are those cars???
I want to be there when they open that trailer. I have Can Am fever!

Glad you are back for some serious fun. Not that vacation stuff! The transport guy says he should be here tomorrow afternoon/evening. He will update me in the morning. Make sure you bring your Pontiac expertise with you tomorrow and I promise to send you home covered in grease and rust.

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:42 pm

FumiyoG3 wrote:HELL YEAH!!! Thumbs up Clapp Beer Thumbs up Clapp Beer

Thanks Chris! I might be bugging you for some "Sky Roof" knowledge since I think this one is out of whack. I'll find out tomorrow for sure.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:26 pm

Well the twins arrived today right on schedule. Revin Kevin was on hand to help unload these beasts. We did a quick assessment of these and determined that the non-Sky Roof car is beyond saving. But the Sky Roof car was originally from Texas so the rust down low is minimal for a car that spent the last 25 years in the north. But from the door up has significant rust due to the roof was leaking for 15+ years and exposed to the elements. So all the condensation ate way at the inside of the roof and around the rear glass and trunk area. Lots of metal work to be done. But good ole Revin Kevin pushed us hard enough today to get it running. Big win there. Drivetrain is solid and it moves under its own power. Tomorrow will be list making day. Got to document all the things to be done starting with the mechanicals. Can't thank Kevin enough for his help today. He is the epitome of a true G3 gearhead. Salute!
1977 Can Ams !!!!! - Page 2 20210613
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:48 pm

Ole Revin Kevin is worn out. It was a lot of work, and the car is drinking from a gas can and not the fuel tank yet, but, it now cranks right up with no pumping of the gas pedal. We even got the car to move forward and backwards on it’s own. You will be driving this car around the parking lot real soon. Great day for sure. I definitely have the Can Am fever.
1977 Can Ams !!!!! - Page 2 B85ed710
1977 Can Ams !!!!! - Page 2 89740110
1977 Can Ams !!!!! - Page 2 3e136b10
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:33 am

Congrats on the score. It's a crime that people let stuff like this sit around and rot away with the intentions of "someday". Really cool cars you have there. Keeps the pics coming!! You are lucky to have the time & space.

If the shaker engine ID follows the Trans Am line the "T/A 6.6" indicated the HO 400. 220 horse? Hotter cam, more compression, special Q-jet, etc.
"6.6 litre" was the lower 400 found in Bonnevilles or the dreaded 403 olds, at least in the Trans Am/firebird line. It's neat that Pontiac found a way to install 400 engines well into the 70's.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:46 pm

73ss wrote:Congrats on the score. It's a crime that people let stuff like this sit around and rot away with the intentions of "someday". Really cool cars you have there. Keeps the pics coming!! You are lucky to have the time & space.

If the shaker engine ID follows the Trans Am line the "T/A 6.6" indicated the HO 400. 220 horse? Hotter cam, more compression, special Q-jet, etc.
"6.6 litre" was the lower 400 found in Bonnevilles or the dreaded 403 olds, at least in the Trans Am/firebird line. It's neat that Pontiac found a way to install 400 engines well into the 70's.

Thanks 73ss! Yes, this was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. Don't really have the space but I made some last minute to accommodate these cars. I felt a little bi-polar working on these yesterday. So thankful to have them but so frustrated that they got to this point of disrepair. Same with the 75 Hurst Olds I'm working on. Lots of rust from neglect but way better condition than the Cam Am. So I got spoiled a little there. Should have all the metal work done on it next month hopefully, then onto gutting the Can Am interior and getting a true assessment of the rust situation. So far Kevin and I figured out it will need floor pans, rear deck where the trunk lid attaches, the complete perimeter around the back glass and of course the roof. Biggest project challenge for me to date. But as long as Revin Kevin is willing to supervise me, I think I'll get through it. I'll start a build thread this week and upload more pics and video as I go. Oh, and for the engine, the research both Kevin and I did stated this was the "hot" W72 Pontiac 400 rated at 200 hp. So not the Olds 403. Still a chunk more horsepower than my sbc 400 in the Laguna rated at only 175 hp. Kevin has "plans" for the heads and intake on the Can Am. He figures with a little tweaking we can get well over 300 hp from this beast. Looking forward to that.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:26 pm

Hats off to you for having the metal working skills. I don't have them, Making a project like that for me costing more than the car would be worth. I can do the mechanical stuff, just not paint & body. If you & Revin would have made the road trip, you probably would have come through my area, (Crackron, Ohio) I'm just under 2 hours from P'burg. I was thinking of maybe tagging along or driving my 73 there for a meet & greet and to lend a hand.

Always cracks me up when you read about finds like this in a magazine, the owners are referred to as "caregivers". Really now.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:07 pm

“Caregivers” or “Gravediggers”?
It would have been neat to meet up with you. From what one of the transport guys told me, a mouse made it’s escape in a gas station parking lot in Ohio. We had another one escape when we were working on the car yesterday. When I get my Laguna running we might drive up and see you. We need to have a big G3 car show somewhere in the middle of the country. We have all been talking with each other for years but very few of us have ever met in person. The people on this site are so much better than the other forums that I subscribe to. All the rest of my project cars in the future will be G3’s. Can Am fever!
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:18 pm

Yeah it would have been neat to hang out for a day but you guys made the right move by letting a transport company do it. That would have taken you guys a week. Texas to PA is one hell of a long drive. Who knows, Maybe I'll get to come down there. My son is thinking of moving to Texas and going to school there when he graduates his army national guard AIT training in late August.

Yeah gravediggers is more like it. Sometimes I think these people let these cars rot away just because they can. Nothing is ever for sale until it's way too late.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:05 pm

Having a G3GM car show in a central location would be awesome. Maybe we could do one in Missouri/Arkansas/Tennessee next year? Or better yet, vote on a location and see what's best for everyone that plans to attend. I say Revin Kevin should put this together since he makes a great foreman when wrenching on cars lol.

Gravedigger is most accurate. It's SOOOO frustrating to see such cool cars rotting away and the owners never sell. At least all my projects are out of the weather. If I ever got in a position that I had to keep one outside I'd own up to the fact that it needs to be sold to someone who will actually work on it and get it done.

Not that great at metal work, but it's good enough to keep me from dragging my feet on the ground like Fred Flintstone. If I had to send this out to a body shop it, would be a deal breaker for sure. Just the body work alone before paint could add up to $15k-$20k. My body work will get me into a car show...if I bribe the attendant at the gate.

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:17 pm

1977 Can Ams !!!!! - Page 2 Copy_o10
1977 Can Ams !!!!! - Page 2 57908910

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:36 am

Now there's an idea!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:46 am

That’s not far from Paw Paw, IL.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:58 pm

REVINKEVIN wrote:That’s not far from Paw Paw, IL.

You are Absolutely right its only 77 miles from me !!! What you thinking on coming up ???

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:17 pm

You never know where I will show up. It would be fun.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:16 pm

REVINKEVIN wrote:You never know where I will show up. It would be fun.

heck yea It would be Ya just never know if the SE will Silver By then or Maybe a different Color HMMMM Whats going on Now

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2