G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hurst Hatches "Recall" T-Tops

2 posters

Go down

Hurst Hatches "Recall" T-Tops  Empty Hurst Hatches "Recall" T-Tops

Post by 76GP50thGA Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:40 am

Hello All .... I recently scored an NOS set of second design Hurst Hatches for my 76 GP 50th Golden Anniversary. My first design tops\seals are in fair shape yet but as you know seals are unavailable and I'd like to replace the headliner someday but cant do that without those old seals disintegrating. The kit looks complete although I'm not sure whether its supposed to include the "C-Shaped" spacers that are referenced in the Pontiac Hatch Roof Service Information guide. Are these already installed in my roof as part of the first design or are they missing from my kit? Has anyone done this swap-over that could provide tips? Thanks in advance for ANY information!
76GP50thGA
76GP50thGA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Hurst Hatches "Recall" T-Tops  Empty Re: Hurst Hatches "Recall" T-Tops

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:02 pm

I've done a lot of research on these Hurst Hatch T-Tops from the mid 70's as my 75 Hurst Olds came with the "first design" t-tops. From what I've read, they had a lot of issues with leaks with the first design which have slots in the t-top frames to align with the tabs protruding from the t-top frames. The 2nd design is the reverse of this a the t-top glass has no frame but tabs mounted on them to insert into the t-top frames that have the slots for alignment. Several discussions I've read online mention the t-tops are not interchangeable for obvious reasons as well as not so obvious things like the size of the glass is different. I have not confirmed all this other than what I've observed with the 3 sets of tops I have for mine. And I also have searched for new weatherstrip for the 1st design but have found nothing. Just for the 2nd design. But I'm wondering if modifications can be made to the weatherstripping or tops to update these. Hope someone else chimes in with more experience with these. There are quite a few people out there looking for solutions.

FIRST DESIGN
Hurst Hatches "Recall" T-Tops  20200810

SECOND DESIGN
Hurst Hatches "Recall" T-Tops  Gen3_h10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by 76GP50thGA Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:29 pm

Neither the frames, seals or tops interchange between the 1st and 2nd design sets as they are significantly different in design. Sorry to to be the bearer of bad news .....
76GP50thGA
76GP50thGA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:09 pm

Yeah, thats why I was hoping someone else would chime in that has worked with both these designs. The last set of t-tops I pulled out of a 76 Cutlass had the C shaped spacers you were talking about. I can only guess that the 2nd design would have something similar.

Hurst Hatches "Recall" T-Tops  20201210
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down