G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges.

2 posters

Go down

Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges. Empty Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges.

Post by zucchi Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:47 am

The link that keeps the spring in place on the hinge strap broke off one of my hinges…

Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges. Img_2019
Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges. Img_2020

Found a pair of NOS A-body hinges, part number 9877650.
Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges. Img_2021
Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges. Img_2022

They were nowhere near as long as what's in the car. It turns out that Monte Carlo is special; P/N is 9877659. Wouldn't you know it.

If anyone has NOS 9877659 trunk lid hinges, I would like to offer a straight trade; you send me yours, I'll send you mine. Otherwise, my other option is to cut the links from the new hinges I have and install them into my old hinges with 1/4" clevis pins. I would then need to scrap the hinge straps since they're of no use to me.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges. Empty Re: Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges.

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:53 pm

Never knew there was a difference, good info. Also looks like the rest of us should lube the pivot points on these hinges before we end up in the same situation.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges. Empty Re: Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges.

Post by zucchi Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:15 pm

Me neither until I compared the new ones to the ones in the car… then checked my parts manual. These hinges are used in all A bodies except Monte Carlo. Should've checked the parts manual first; hind-sight is always 20/20.

Either way, still needed that pivoting spring mounting thingy (don't know what it's supposed to be called) so, since I got no response, I'll be doing surgery this weekend. AND, I'll be liberally greasing all pivoting metal-to-metal surfaces. In fact, I'll be including this in my regular chassis lubing regime.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges. Empty The deed is done; hinges no longer available.

Post by zucchi Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:53 am

Took the hinge out and compared to the new one…
Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges. Img_2023

The hinge strap is a completely different size but the spring-mount-pivot-thingy (SMPT) is practically the same so the new hinge strap assembly will serve as a donor for the SMPT.
Time for surgery.
Ground off the peened over end of the respective SMPT pins and removed them…
Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges. Img_2024

Used a new ΒΌ" stainless steel clevis pin to reassemble and liberally greased the assembly…
Trade NOS A-body trunk lid hinges for 1974 Monte Carlo trunk lid hinges. Img_2025

Technical note: The diameter of the hinge strap-to-body pin for the regular A body hinge is 5/16". For the Monte Carlo, the diameter is 11/32"; Really? Are you kidding me?! [SIGH] Shouldn't be too surprised; it is a Monte Carlo after all.
I couldn't find any clevis pins in that diameter so I had to take a ⅜" dia. pin and machine it down to size; an annoying inconvenience.

Now, with everything buttoned up and lubricated, the trunk lid functions perfectly.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:48 pm

Cool, sounds like you are going to make everything work. I'm wondering if using door hinge pin bushings would help as a long term fix?
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:05 pm

This failure occurred after nearly 50 years and more than 500k miles of average trunk use, and never lubricating the pivot pins and strap pins.

The trunk lid is the lightest "door" on the entire car. Keeping these pins lubricated moving forward should last until I die, at least. Just like keeping the hood hinge pins lubricated along with, of course, side door hinge pins so as to extend their service life.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down