G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brakebooster issues

+2
Hs1973
relic7680
6 posters

Go down

Brakebooster issues Empty Brakebooster issues

Post by Hs1973 Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:28 am

Hi guys.

Im having problems with my brakebooster on my 1975 chevelle ( again). I was wondering if anybody has any advise on retrofitting something from another year or modern car. I know about the hydroboost upgrade. But im in Europe and i cant legally do that. I have had bad luck finding a booster that fits and works proberly. Either they dont work at all or dont fit. Im currently on my 3rd booster that only lasted 3 months and is now defective.
All advise on where to find a good product or retrofitting from another year or model is welcome. Thankmyou in advance Henrik copenhagen
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Brakebooster issues Empty Re: Brakebooster issues

Post by relic7680 Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:20 pm

I was able to send my booster off to Cardone (large reman company here in the states) through Rock Auto and they rebuilt it. You may look into specialty/vintage rebuilders there in Europe....good luck.
relic7680
relic7680
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:34 am

From the last time you posted about your brake issues in regards to re-bleeding the front brakes…
Hs1973 wrote:I will Update back to you when im done…
I suppose it worked out ok?

As for your booster…
Hs1973 wrote:Im having problems with my brakebooster on my 1975 chevelle ( again). I was wondering if anybody has any advise on retrofitting something from another year or modern car. I have had bad luck finding a booster that fits and works proberly. Either they dont work at all or dont fit. Im currently on my 3rd booster that only lasted 3 months and is now defective.
All advise on where to find a good product or retrofitting from another year or model is welcome. Thankmyou in advance Henrik copenhagen

I'm curious to learn what's causing your boosters to fail. Other than each one being defective — the odds of that are pretty high — something must be causing them to fail. I replaced the booster in my '74 Monte Carlo some 20 years ago and it's still working fine. The booster in my '68 Cadillac failed after about 45 years, I had it rebuilt by Power Brake Exchange about 9 years ago and it's still working fine.

As I mentioned in your earlier post about brake problems, I suggested you rebuild the booster yourself. If you don't have the service and overhaul manuals, I'll offer to scan the relevant pages for you. I'll also check my parts manual and Hollander interchange manual to get you the part number for your booster and which other cars it interchanges with. However, in order for me to help you, I need to know if you have a Delco-Morane or a Bendix brake system.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:00 am

All my problems Came Down to a number of different issues. I had air in the rear Lines, and a a leaking seal that bleed into the rear brake in one side. But also my booster is not Holding wacum more than a few minutes. The first one i bought through a parts dealer here, claiming it was rebuild. However it did not work at all. Second one i bought was from summit for a camaro. However i Got the angel on the pushing from the pedal a little off. So it apparently made it leak somewhere inside.

So by the time i figured all the other problems out the new booster Got more and more faulty creating more problems. So by now me and a friend has finally sorts some of the other stuff out, i only need a new booster again.
But instead of trying to make a booster from a camaro fit, ( which i did not do wery Well last time) i was more interested in finding one that will fit and work as intended.

I am not mechanic enough to try and rebuild it nor would i know where to get the parts. there is none in this country that rebuild boosters for classic cars. So im stuck trying to find a new one that will work.

But i was wondering if anyone has tried something from another year model or make that works.

I have had some family issues that made itches car go on the backburner. But now im ready to try and get it right this time.

How do you see the difference in bendix or delco brake system? Maybe if i could get the parts for it i could find someone that could rebuild it. Regards henrik
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:33 am

The biggest problem i have here, is the lack off parts availeble. It is far to expensive to buy parts myself and having them shipped. Many times the cost of shipping and the taxes involved is far more than the cost of the part itself. Im cursed for Living in a small country that hates cars.

So im forced to buy from One of the few parts pushers here. They in turn only buy parts from Big vendors like summit. So my options are limited more or less to what summit offers. Or pay 3-4 times the Price of the part to buy myself from another vendor.

My next problem in Living in this small country and small town, is the lack of people with skills in repairing classic cars. They are few and far between here. So im stuck in trying to locate a solution myself, learning along the Way, and im a slow learner apperantly.

In case i could find someone willing to try and rebuild, where can i buy the parts needed for a rebuild. And how do you disasemble the booster without destroying it? Im unsure how it comes apart.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:38 am

Hs1973 wrote:I am not mechanic enough to try and rebuild it nor would i know where to get the parts.
If you know how to use tools then you have the skills to rebuild the booster. All you need is guidance which I'll help you with.

This is the Delco-Morane unit
Brakebooster issues Delcom10
According to RockAuto, it fits these cars…
BUICK CENTURY 1973-1977
BUICK REGAL 1973-1977
CHEVROLET CHEVELLE 1973
CHEVROLET EL CAMINO 1973-1977
CHEVROLET LAGUNA 1973-1976
CHEVROLET MALIBU 1973-1977
CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO 1973-1977
GMC SPRINT 1973-1977
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS 1973-1977
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SALON 1975-1977
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME 1973-1977
OLDSMOBILE VISTA CRUISER 1973-1975
PONTIAC GRAND AM 1973-1975
PONTIAC GRAND LEMANS 1975-1977
PONTIAC GRAND PRIX 1973-1977
PONTIAC GTO 1973
PONTIAC LEMANS 1973-1977

This is the Bendix unit
Brakebooster issues Bendix10
According to RockAuto, it fits these cars…
BUICK CENTURY 1973-1977
BUICK REGAL 1973-1977
CHEVROLET CHEVELLE 1973
CHEVROLET EL CAMINO 1973-1977
CHEVROLET LAGUNA 1973-1976
CHEVROLET MALIBU 1973-1977
CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO 1973-1977
GMC SPRINT 1973-1977
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS 1973-1977
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SALON 1975-1977
OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME 1973-1977
OLDSMOBILE VISTA CRUISER 1973-1975
PONTIAC GRAND AM 1973-1975
PONTIAC GRAND LEMANS 1975-1977
PONTIAC GRAND PRIX 1973-1977
PONTIAC GTO 1973
PONTIAC LEMANS 1973-1977

I'm at work now (08:20) and I'll be leaving for home at around 16:15. We have a holiday this coming Monday so I won't be back to work until Tuesday morning. So, during the weekend, I'll look up the info for you have it ready for you on Tuesday.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:44 am

Hs1973 wrote:So im stuck in trying to locate a solution myself…
Believe me when I say I feel your pain.

Try and turn that despair into determination. If you decide to rebuild the original booster that came with the car yourself (knowing that you will be meticulous and it will work correctly), you will be Denmark's expert. All your classic car friends will turn to you to rebuild their boosters.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:01 pm

According to gmpartswiki, the part number for your booster is 2620600 (superseded by 18000982), which appears to be the Delco-Moraine unit.

I just completed a cursory look around for Delco-Moraine booster rebuild kits. Original Parts Group Inc. (OPGI) has a kit for $200 — ouch.

I looked around to see what parts stores have them… looks they're all out of stock and even RockAuto needs the core to be sent in to rebuild it. Wow! Yet another part made of unobtanium.

The place I had my Cadillac booster rebuilt has both a Delco Moraine and a Bendix booster in stock.

Try not to feel defeated yet. I'll scan the service manual information regarding boosters for you. For all you know, once you get it appart and examine it, it may only be something simple to repair it. Here's an exploded view of a Delco Moraine booster with master cylinder…
Brakebooster issues ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.caddydaddy.com%2Fmedia%2Fwysiwyg%2FInstructions%2FBrake_Booster_Repair_Instructions%2F823_Kit_has_more_instructions_

As you can see, there's not much to it.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

bucket likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:46 pm

The marvels of the internet  Brakebooster issues 1f44d

Archive.org has the 1974 Cadillac service manual wherein is a detailed procedure to disassemble and reassemble the brake booster starting on 5-25 (chapter 5 – page 25). study
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:02 am

Thank you wery much for all the time and effort you put in to help me. I will try and take it appart when i have the time. As you say it May wery Well be something simpel. I Got it working with a borowed 9 inch unit from a friends project. So now i can at least drive it while i get the time and parts together.

Kind regards Henrik.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:37 am

Oh and i am learning new things every time. Seems like i screwed up in thinking i could use a booster from a camaro. Although i made it fit the firewall, it sat to High wich in turn made me angel it downwards.
That was stupid, because the angel of the pushpin was off, that was why it worked ok as long as you only was on the brake only a little.

When you then would try and brake hard the angel would try and push the pin off upwards. instead of straight in, making it jackknife and loosing effect. ( and also making it leak apperantly ) i need to say the pushpin was wery slim and long Being an aftermarket part, compared to the original.

But again i learned that small stuff matters, and things are not always ok ven if they look so at first glance. I also have learned that my sometimes bad idle with foot on the brake, Came from the leaking booster. She has Nice Steady idle now.

Im getting to the end of a long journy in brakes 1-1. But i could not have done it without you guys in here, that is always so helpfull.
Im going to try and take the original booster appart some day and see what is going on in there.

It feels like it works but has wery little boostereffect. The pedal drops when you start the engine, but it does not give much assistence when you brake. So maybe it is a small thing.

Sorry for the long story regards Henrik.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Brakebooster issues Empty summit has booster/master cyl for 75

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:00 am

Henrik,

You said above that your parts dealers can get parts from Summit. If so there seems to be a combo for booster and master cylinder that the website says fits the 75 chevelle with either engine. SSBC-USA Master Cylinder and Booster Assemblies A28152. The price here in the US is $218 which I guess would be about the same in Euros these days. What would it cost from your supplier who gets Summit parts? Also are the duties and fees the same for used and new parts or different?
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:23 am

I took photos (don't have a scanner) of the booster rebuild section in the 1974 Chevrolet Overhaul Manual. Hope you'll find it useful.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:14 pm

Ran into the same issues when searching for a brake booster a couple years back. This is the solution I came up with and its all new parts, not rebuilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHZ1IGySsQc&t=8s

Brakebooster issues Cpp_ma10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:34 pm

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:Ran into the same issues when searching for a brake booster a couple years back. This is the solution I came up with and its all new parts, not rebuilt.
From looking at their catalog, it appears the part number would be 7377B-MC
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:01 pm

zucchi wrote:
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:Ran into the same issues when searching for a brake booster a couple years back. This is the solution I came up with and its all new parts, not rebuilt.
From looking at their catalog, it appears the part number would be 7377B-MC

That sounds correct. I ordered mine through OPGI when they had a sale and got it for under $200 with the master cylinder. Their part number is LBS7377. It shows they have a low inventory at the moment so at least they are in stock. Last time I checked a couple months back they showed to be backordered until October.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Brakebooster issues Empty import fees

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:40 pm

Upthread Henrik noted the prohibitive import fees from the US for auto parts so I am not sure that OPG or other suppliers are going to be feasible. I recommended the Summit parts because he stated that there is a Euro supplier that gets parts direct from Summit. I think we need to hear from the OP on this.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Zed06 Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:09 pm

Henrik, in all the conversation I have not heard one thing. If you "T" in a vacuum gauge at the booster, what is the reading at warm engine idle? Then after you shut off the engine, how many times can you press the brake pedal down before you run out of power assist?
Is it possible that the booster is not the real cause of the problem?

Zed06
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:18 am

So long overdue Update
I finally Got things working right. I had help from a guy that deamed to know alot more than i did. Most of the original brake issues, was not booster related but more a carb issue.
My problem was finding someone the knows and not just Think they do. The first brake problem was a combination of poor carb tune and mis adjusted rear brakes and a brake Line that was dented.

after getting all the little issues and a new carb with the right tune and timing gone trough, i put the original booster back on. And wouldent you know it we now have brakes as good as a new car would have.

Best part is i have learned alot from this due to working along side with my new mechanic. Needles to say my previus mechanic dont get to tuch my car again. I have no words for how much money i have used on parts and his assistence, without the car working much better from that. But now i have a guy that seams to know what he is doing. And i myself know alot more.

Thank you for all your help and patience with my questions. Regards Henrik.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:36 am

Oh and yeah it is correct that summit is tha main supply here. I can order parts directly from other vendors. However the import taxes and shipping usually makes it almost makes it stupid expensive to do so. This makes it a wery expensive hobby keeping a rare classic running.
Even the ordinary mainstream cars like camaro and mustang is relativlly expensive to keep running here.
And that is not all, even fuel here is crazy money now. A gallon is something like 11 or 12 dollars. After russia went to war in ukrain, we are at 15 some days. Happy days ??? Regards henrik
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down