G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

76 laguna trunk seal

+2
76Chevelle2Tone
jpowen49
6 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

76 laguna trunk seal Empty 76 laguna trunk seal

Post by jpowen49 Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:18 pm

Trying to replace my trunk seal. I bought a seal from Metroe and it fit but my trunk lid won`t close. Thankfully I did a dry fit.I didn`t do much research on trunk seals before I bought it, I know better now. I would like to buy a seal that works and fits like it should. I did a search on site but would like to hear  a recombination from someone that bought a seal they liked.76 laguna trunk seal Thumbn93
76 laguna trunk seal Thumbn92
76 laguna trunk seal Thumbn91
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

76 laguna trunk seal Empty Re: 76 laguna trunk seal

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:31 am

Metro is no good. I went through a variety of aftermarket trunk seals that all leaked. I finally got one that said low profile modeled after NOS. This was some years ago so I will have to dig around my files. But surprisingly enough the low profile works better than puffier seals. I'll get back if I find the vendor .

Update: I think it was this one at the link but the description isn't how I remember it. I could be mistaken in my memory but it's also possible the wording changed over the years.  I'm sorry that I'm not positive but I don't see any later purchases of trunk weatherstripping. The price has gone up dramatically as in tripled over the past price I paid some years ago, Don't know why unless this is the only one that works haha and they have a monopoly. You might inquire about the profile of the weatherstrip. Look around to see if you can get it for less.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372404018770

Update 2 : I found another listing with a price around what I paid. The wording is closer too.

https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/MM-TK46E16.html
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:26 am

I did a video on this last year:

I used SoffSeal part № 5010 which has since been consolidated into № SS-2003. At time 6:17, you get a clear view of the profile.

Last edited by zucchi on Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:37 am

zucchi wrote:I did a video on this last year:

I used SoffSeal part № 5010 which has since been consolidated into № SS-2003. At time 6:17, you get a clear view of the profile.

Thank you for posting and doing the video.

It's something I need to do that I have been putting off. I'll move it up on the list.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

zucchi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jpowen49 Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:47 pm

Thank you Zucchi for the video. Your video should be made a Stiky . I just ordered a SS-2003 from Summit.
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:15 pm

jpowen49 wrote:Thank you Zucchi for the video. Your video should be made a Stiky.
I'm glad you found it useful. Beer
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by jpowen49 Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:18 pm

Just to follow up on the trunk seal ,
I received and installed the soffseal 2003 from Summit. It fit good and when I close the trunk I can tell it has a new seal. With the Metroe about 3 " is as close as it would get to closing. Here is a picture of the difference in the profile of the seals. If your thinking of replacing your trunk seal , go with the soffseal. Thanks again zucchi76 laguna trunk seal Thumbn95
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

zucchi likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:15 pm

Great info! Revin Kevin replaced his trunk weather-strip recently and we had a very hard time getting the trunk lid closed. Not sure what brand he used but maybe he'll chime in to verify. All I know is we tried to open the trunk a couple weeks back and it would not open. I suspect that the seal is putting so much upward pressure on the trunk lid that the latch won't release. Hopefully we'll be able to take a closer look this next week.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

76 laguna trunk seal Empty weather strip seals

Post by jaybee Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:44 pm

Hay guys n gals. I know this is an older thread but just wanted to chime in. After buying 2 sets of door seals that didn't fit right, I bought a set from Steel Rubber Products.  Fit n finish was great and no more water leaks. I looked at there web site today and for example. They show a couple different part numbers for a trunk seal, both being different in height measurement. And also 1 version of the 2 was a simple self adhesive design, So 3 total options. The more expensive one was only $62.   Just FYI
jaybee
jaybee
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down