G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cluster metal trim

4 posters

Go down

cluster metal trim Empty cluster metal trim

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:43 pm

The bright metal trim that snakes around the instrument cluster was faded and missing almost all silver color in sections. Also the trim around the dash air vent was corroded in sections for some unknown reason. I looked around to try and find something to spruce it back to some approximation of its former glory. Smile

So I tried the Creative Inspirations Metallic Silver Paint which comes in a generous bottle for $20

cluster metal trim Metall10

This worked out well as the paint clings nicely to the trim and has held up through the winter. It is no problem to clean up stray excess paint or mistakes with a little alcohol wipe. Obviously this is not going to work on larger areas of chrome but the narrow edge trim doesn't have that problem. Although the photos display some trim color variability, actually the silver color of the trim is continuous and even

cluster metal trim Cluste10
cluster metal trim Cluste11
cluster metal trim Vented10
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

cluster metal trim Empty Re: cluster metal trim

Post by 77camino Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:56 pm

Is that just crafting paint. I have an extra dash bezel and I have thought about buying one of the trim paint pens and trying it out
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:02 pm

77camino wrote:Is that just crafting paint. I have an extra dash bezel and I have thought about buying one of the trim paint pens and trying it out

I was just remarking that it looks quite bright on the car and seems to be holding up well for the interior. I didn't see any threads on the topic so I am just mentioning it if people didn't notice the fading cluster trim on their cars. I'm sure there are alternatives. Just IMO the coloring pens work better with flat colors rather than the metallics.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:58 am

77camino wrote:Is that just crafting paint. I have an extra dash bezel and I have thought about buying one of the trim paint pens and trying it out

thats what I did to mine is the Argent silver touch up paint marker pen it worked great

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:23 am

I did a bunch of searching on this topic and went the recommendations for liquid "chrome" . This is what I went with and I have to say its excellent!!! Hobby Lobby was the cheapest when I got it but its on amazon as well as other places. There isnt too much in the marker itself but its enough to do the dash bezel, center dash vent trim and the perimeter of the 73 right side dash emblem. Id does actually produce a reflection like chrome.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Paint-Brushes/Silver-Molotow-Liquid-Chrome-Marker---1mm/p/80858457
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down