G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LED bulbs!

+15
KC77Monte
fasrnur
dynchel
driveit
bitterfitter
McCauley5983
Limey SE
77malibu77
74MonteCarlo
JB2wheeler
The Dude
Roadcaptain S3
bigredlaguna
1973 454 MONTE
ant7377
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

LED bulbs! - Page 2 Empty Re: LED bulbs!

Post by thatfnthing Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:36 pm

I upgraded every light on my car to LED's except the headlights.  They work great, have better color, draw a lot less power, and last a lot longer, but they can be more expensive, especially tail/brake lamps and front directionals/markers.  Go take a gander at superbrightleds.com.

Oh, yeah, and they draw so little power that your directionals/hazards won't flash -- you will need to upgrade to electronic flashers.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:26 am

I have been thinking about purchasing a set of halo headlights anyone got those and do you like them. My headlights seem so dim.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:29 pm

driveit wrote:I have been thinking about purchasing a set of halo headlights anyone got those and do you like them.  My headlights seem so dim.
The lights I have have halos in them, as well as city lights.  I don't have the halos hooked up as I don't think the look is right for (my) '74.  The city lights are just a #194 bulb that I have wired as daytime running lights.  I like the lights themselves ($35.00 on eBay) a lot brighter than the OE sealed beams.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:42 pm

I changed over my tail lights to led and used the below flasher. Everything seems to work good, although I wish the turn signals were a little brighter when I have the lights on. I haven't tested it with brakes pressed so that might make a difference too.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/cf12anl-01-led-bulb-electronic-flasher/781/835/
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:04 am

Which actual lamps did you wind up using from them? Some are brighter than others, but the really good ones are fairly expensive.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:37 pm

thatfnthing wrote:Which actual lamps did you wind up using from them?  Some are brighter than others, but the really good ones are fairly expensive.

Cheap lamps are probably part of the issue. I bought some from Amazon a while ago and just installed them, I think a pack of 10 was pretty cheap. I was looking at Superbright LEDs more expense bulbs and I can't yet justify spending $15-$25 on one lamp. I did buy their dome light bulb, 1156 and reverse lights from them and seem work and look better than before.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:00 pm

For the tail lamps and front directionals, you need a really strong light.  I first started with these:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-function-19-led-forward-firing-cluster-bay15d-retrofit-car/156/

but discovered the light was not bright enough.  I later upgraded to the SMD versions, and they were a hell of a lot brighter:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-function-27-smd-led-tower-bay15d-retrofit/2625/

But obviously there's a big difference in price between them. FWIW, though, looking at them now, the prices are about half what they were when I did it.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:09 pm

How are they holding up thatfnthing?
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:42 pm

I want that Charger in my yard for Christmas.  Hey driveit, I have halo lights on my 2001 SS Camaro.  Look cool but don't seem bright at night unless you use high beams. When I get to lighting on the Laguna I will do some LED's and report back.

LED bulbs! - Page 2 26110
LED bulbs! - Page 2 26010

LED bulbs! - Page 2 26410
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:43 pm

Here's some
https://www.ebay.com/i/271391094653?chn=ps
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:08 am

fasrnur wrote:How are they holding up thatfnthing?

No complaints -- they still work great.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:34 am

I did the full LED swap in our Monte a couple years ago. Bought them from superbrightleds.com as well. As thatfnthing said, they work great. Did have a problem with the rear lamps not wanting to flash while the lights were on. They sent me a new pair and tested the ones I sent back, turns out there was something wrong with that batch of lamps. No problems since
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:08 am

REVINKEVIN wrote:Here's some

I thought about those, but I think they only work for small/multiple headlights. I try to picture large 7" ones on the Monte and I keep seeing Marty Feldman.

LED bulbs! - Page 2 Marty-10
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:01 pm

thatfnthing wrote:
REVINKEVIN wrote:Here's some

I thought about those, but I think they only work for small/multiple headlights.  I try to picture large 7" ones on the Monte and I keep seeing Marty Feldman.

I second that. I was thinking about installing them too but I don't think they go with the car. I'm thinking of somehow adding a DRL/LED's to the front turn signals, like the caddys used to have but I haven't researched it much to figure how I want to go about it.

thatfnthing wrote: I later upgraded to the SMD versions, and they were a hell of a lot brighter:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-function-27-smd-led-tower-bay15d-retrofit/2625/

I'll probably end up with some next time they run a sale. They had 15% off promotion for black Friday/cyber Monday.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:25 pm

back a few years ago I wanted to keep the stock look of the headlight, so I bought some euro clear headlights,and then took the lens off both the old and new sets.and glued the old style lens on the modern bucket and put an hid kit in it. looked and worked great but was very bright and blinding people so I went back to stock lol.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:43 pm

You just rocked the Marty reference.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:52 pm

This flasher works better and has the clicking sound. The other one didn't click and didn't work as well with the front turn signals when the lights were on.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXLH7CG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only issue is that the dash light only dims and doesn't flash like it should when the lights are on, its more of a constant light. When the lights are off it functions as it should. I have LEDs in the dash as well. It worked fine with the other flashers. Not a big deal since I won't be driving that much at night.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Interesting. My flasher works properly, but makes no noise, so I have to be vigilant that I'm not that guy driving for miles with my blinker on. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:53 pm

thatfnthing wrote:Interesting.  My flasher works properly, but makes no noise, so I have to be vigilant that I'm not that guy driving for miles with my blinker on. Smile

I always thought he noise was annoying until I didn't have it anymore and missed it. Does your flasher have a ground or no ground?
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:04 pm

No separate ground.  Just the two standard blades to plug in like the old can.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2