G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carburater cleaning

+4
JB2wheeler
novaderrik
coreys73chevelle
badbiscayne66
8 posters

Go down

Carburater cleaning Empty Carburater cleaning

Post by wokrdan AKA BU Balls Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:38 pm

So, I'm trying to clean up my carb, and wanted to find out, is there any problem with dunking it in a bucket of warm soapy water? I mean, do i have to worry about the internals rusting out, or can I simply blow it dry with an air hose?
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Carburater cleaning Empty Re: Carburater cleaning

Post by badbiscayne66 Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:39 pm

It may not hurt but i dont think it will help!!! Use carb cleaner it works very well......
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:42 pm

if it is on a running engine just let the engine run and get a few sprays into it with carb and choke cleaner, have someone slowly hit the gas a give some more sprays with secondaries open.

if its off the car use the same carb and choke cleaner just get a old toothbrush and a rag and get it as clean as possible then dry it off and put it in a ziplock bag.
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Fri May 07, 2010 6:39 pm

i used to always use "the Works" drain opener as a carb dip. but kids started making pop bottle bombs out of it (which now gets you labeled as a terrorist) so it's hard to find the good stuff any more.
the active ingredient in that particular drain opener is hydrochloric acid, which will eat the aluminum casting of the carb, so i never left the parts in there for more than a few minutes,which was just enough to break up all the deposits. then i'd rinse it off in the kitchen sink and use about a full can of carb cleaner to blow out all the passages.
then it was just a matter of putting it back together. the only real drawback to using the drain opener is that it eats away the coating on the carb.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Fri May 07, 2010 8:52 pm

You wont catch me cleaning my carb with drain cleaner! Too much risk in too many ways. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat May 08, 2010 12:03 am

Try using Pinesol. It works well for that just pour it in a tub or something and
soak the carb. It works well but you have to get the name brand Pinesol.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by wokrdan AKA BU Balls Sat May 22, 2010 10:34 pm

So I can just dunk it in pinesol and rinse? What about the internals? Do I have to worry about rust at all? It's a 4-barrel Edelbrock.
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat May 22, 2010 11:43 pm

I would take it apart first so you can make sure all the idle passages get cleaned good. Get a rebuild kit for it so it can be put back together with new gaskets and stuff. If you just want to clean up the out side use some gumout and a few little nylon brushes and start scrubbing. Some compressed air for this job is good too to dry and blow out any crud that may come loose.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Sat May 22, 2010 11:44 pm

ant7377 wrote:I would take it apart first so you can make sure all the idle passages get cleaned good. Get a rebuild kit for it so it can be put back together with new gaskets and stuff. If you just want to clean up the out side use some gumout and a few little nylon brushes and start scrubbing. Some compressed air for this job is good too to dry and blow out any crud that may come loose.
I agree with this. But if it were me, any time a carb needs to be cleaned, it should be checked to see if it's time for a rebuild too.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Sat May 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Unless you know it's been rebuilt recently, of course...
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Sat May 22, 2010 11:59 pm

dont get rid of the dirt it adds patina Razz
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast