G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie from Europe here

+4
BlackChevelleSS
yogreasygramma
coreys73chevelle
Hydro King
8 posters

Go down

Newbie from Europe here Empty Newbie from Europe here

Post by the Baron Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:14 am

Hi Guys ,

My first name is Laurent ( Larry ) , nickname "the Baron" , I'm from Liège , Belgium , just near the German border

I do own since april 2008 a plain stock 1975 "Malibu" Sedan , good shape but the interior which has to be redone , it has the six 250ci engine in it

I had a 1985 Chevy Van I wanted to get rid off , too much work on it to keep it street legal , I saw this "Bu" for sale , I contacted the seller , who was ready to trade his "Bu" for the Van .

I have had 6 US cars till now , but I have to say that this 73-77 is the best car I ever have had ...

the pics :

http://picasaweb.google.fr/rmslusitania/Chevelle1975

the paint code was originally 24 ( Medium Blue ) , my intentions are to put it back in the original colour

I'm just disappointed to se that all the Chevelle parts sellers just stop their OEM or repro stock range at the year 72 , there is nothing to be found for our cars , kind of annoying

Regards ,

Laurent

the Baron
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Newbie from Europe here Empty Re: Newbie from Europe here

Post by Hydro King Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:04 am

Good to see you here bro, yeah they leave our years alone but I have come along way and have found some parts interchangable.
Hydro King
Hydro King
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:25 am

Welcome aboard. Nice car. Looks like its in good shape considering the age. There are others from your neck of the woods who have mid 70s Chevelles. One fellow has a dark orange metalic 2 door which is a great car. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:05 pm

Cool welcome I am kinda new myself!!! Is that running on propane??
Hows that working for ya??
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:07 pm

welcome. i like the 4 door 75-77s good luck
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by the Baron Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:21 pm

Hi ,

thanks for your inputs .

Yeah , I'm driving on LPG ( mix of propane & butane gasses ) , it costs about one third of regular gasoline , so there is no other bearable option to run a daily driver here ...

It costs me about 16 € to drive 100 miles

those US engines were made to run on unleaded fuel , so LPG is not a problem , it is very clean , no problem at all with the valves , no mix of gasoline in the oil sump during the winter ...

The only thing that has to be checked regularly is the quantity of water in the cooling system , as the pressure reducer , which converts liquid gas to vaporous gas is heated by the cooling water ...

no water --> no gas ...

as a matter of facts , the system I have in this car comes from the USA , it is made by IMPCO and is mainly used in your country to be used on industrial engines , fork lifts , etc ...

I'm really surprized to see that there are very few cars in the States that run on LPG ...

About my Bu's shape , yes , I also really was surprized to see that this car was in a very good shape . I bought this car from a guy who bought it one year earlier from a funeral & limo business , this car always has slept in a garage , it only had 76,000 miles when I got it ...

All the other 73-77 cars I once saw , were eaten by rust ...

Regards ,

Laurent

the Baron
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:42 pm

You really lucked out when you bought that car. With the LPG cocoction, does it run better with a low compression engine or a high compression engine? In other words, how is the octane rating compared to gasoline? JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by yogreasygramma Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:55 am

A warm welcome to you, Laurent. It's good to see you on this site. My grandmother had a nice red metallic 4 door Malibu Classic, but it passed to my cousin when she died. It still had dealer-installed plastic seat covers on it! Anyway, I agree that these cars are of fantastic quality. I bought a 73 Monte Carlo when I was in college, and drove it all over the US, for many years until it was stolen in 1994. It was the best car I've ever owned, extremely comfortable, fast, reliable, etc. Now I live in Warsaw, and had to get another 73 Monte.

Anyway, from what I read in the description of your car in the link you provided, your car was produced in Belgium. I didn't know GM assembled American cars in Europe. Of course I know that GM owns Opel and their plants in Europe provide cars for the European market (and sometimes for the US market), but I didn't realize there was a plant in Belgium producing American cars for the European market. I have a friend in Warsaw who owns a 73 Belair and it has a homologation plate which states it comes from GM Europe/Belgium, but I thought it was simply imported to Belgium, not produced there. Can you provide some more light on this issue? Is the plant still in operation? Thanks a lot and again, welcome.
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:36 pm

Welcome to G3GM and good luck with your car!

Newbie from Europe here SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by the Baron Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:23 pm

@ JB ,

LPG allows your compression ratio to be hightened , to 14/1 to 15/1 , but the engine still runs with a lower compression ratio . There are some WW2 GMC & Dodges here that are equipped with a LPG installation , and they run good ...

@ yogreasymamma ,

I was wrong when I depicted the car in my album , this car is an import , it came to Belgium in 1975 . it's my parts dealer here in Belgium who told me I was wrong ... silent

as a matter of facts , I had , back in 1998 , bought a 1966 Buick Skylark which was well assembled in Belgium , at the Opel plant in Antwerp . Those cars came in wooden crates and were assembled on a special line at the plant , just near the lines where the Opel were assembled . the assembly of american cars began back in the 1920's till the end of the 1960's .

hereby a link to a in BE assembled Pontiac :
http://www.ritzsite.net/Pontiac66/Pontiac_1966_04.htm

When the taxation system changed in Belgium and the taxes paid for a foreign car or for a in Belgium assembled car raised to the same level , assembling US cars in Europe became less interesting , so US cars were imported , mainly built in the canadian plants for the GM cars bound for Europe ( speedometer in KPH ) .

Our taxation system here kills us : a V8 powered US car with let's say a 350ci , younger than 25 years old , costs YEARLY about 2400 € ( more than 3,250 US$ ) in taxes . Suspect

When this car gets the age of 25 , the tax drops to 27 € a year ...

This is why you'll meet here a lot of sixes on the roads here , not a lot of 350ci were imported here , forget about the 400 or 454 ...

Some Pontiac Bonnevilles assembled here at the Antwerp plant were even available with a OPEL six , 2.8 litres , the one that was available on the OPEL "Admiral" , just to avoid the heavy taxes ...

Regards ,

laurent

the Baron
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:40 pm

Thats very interesting!! Smile
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66