G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Window Switch.

5 posters

Go down

Power Window Switch. Empty Power Window Switch.

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon May 31, 2010 1:59 pm

I'll start off by saying, I really hope you all don't mind me posting about my 98 Monte Carlo...no other forum is helpful enough. Anywho, I need a driver's door window switch. The passenger button works, and "UP" for the driver's window works(I can hear the click) but "DOWN" will not. As I said before, I originally went to the junkyard last week to find that and ended up getting a bumper. LOL. If the chance arises, I would like to put on an automatic driver's window roll down switch. Not all had it, it was optional. My question is, is the only difference in the switch, or is there something different with the regulator/motor between auto and non auto roll down? I'll keep looking at the junkyard, and if I can't find one in a few weeks, I'll bite the bullet and go to the auto parts store or dealer and get some prices on new ones. I just wanted to know if I could put an auto roll switch on a window that was non auto...thanks guys!

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Power Window Switch. Empty Re: Power Window Switch.

Post by ant7377 Mon May 31, 2010 7:03 pm

Its probably the same internally. If you are going to go through the trouble to install it get a new one. You know it will be good for a long time.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Mon May 31, 2010 7:25 pm

i think the motor is different. call the chevy dealer and ask a technican
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by jrsixx Mon May 31, 2010 9:01 pm

It's all in the switch assembly, on MOST cars, some have a seperate relay, but if memory serves, it's in the switch assembly. Definetly not a different motor/regulator.

jrsixx
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Mon May 31, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks!

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:47 am

No problem on the posting, but since it's not pertaining to a 73-77 post it in "Off topic" so someone doesn't try to find info for power window switch problems & find this.

It does sound like your switch is bad & yes most of the auto down switches will interchange with the non-autos. I don't see anything wrong with grabbing one from a junkyard though. Price a new switch to weigh your options, but all it required in my Taurus was a flathead screwdriver, $5 to the junkyard, & maybe 1 or 2 minutes for the swap. Easy & cheap fix!
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:54 am

Rago wrote:No problem on the posting, but since it's not pertaining to a 73-77 post it in "Off topic" so someone doesn't try to find info for power window switch problems & find this.

Will do!!

Went to the junkyard...no luck. 5 Luminas...1 Monte. The switch in the Monte was gone, and Lumina switches were not the same. Just for S's&G's, I went to the Chevy dealer...$122...! And he said it looks different than the original ones, that you have to move some terminals around(wtf?). There's a ton on eBay...they're all $35, free shipping(all auto roll down too). Think I'll just go that route. Pay the $35 and know it will last. Would I rather spend $5 for one at the junkyard? Hell yeah I would. But the Montes are scarce and 9 times out of 10, the switch is already gone. I had to replace the passenger switch last summer(from the junkyard), and those are same as Lumina...but driver's side is not. I had picked up two, "just in case".

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down