G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some people are so very very mean...

+12
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
coreys73chevelle
McCauley5983
MichiganMuscle77
Malicruiser
lars
novaderrik
dragons_lair59
ant7377
HDHugger
Roadcaptain S3
bigredlaguna
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Some people are so very very mean... Empty Some people are so very very mean...

Post by lars Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:58 pm

These people have all joined together in this link to anialate the thought of my car. Believe me it is brutal...

Read At your own risk... lol

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/curbside-classic-gms-deadly-sin-76-1976-chevrolet-malibu-classic/
lars
lars
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Some people are so very very mean... Empty Re: Some people are so very very mean...

Post by HDHugger Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:41 am

I don't know what they are talking about, but I don't think they do, either. These cars have plenty of backseat room, we used to go upnorth (6 hours each way) with a family of 6 and had no problems. Also, the trunk was big enough to hold all our luggage. These cars are tanks, they go through almost anything. I am PROUD to have had a 75 as my first car purchase, and as my most recent purchase. I love the good reactions I get at car shows, gas stations, when people yell out "NICE!" as I drive down the road, or when they drive past my house and slow down to call out. I am THRILLED to have another of these, and I am so glad that they are not a "dime a dozen" like so many other classics. Okay, most other classics are more expensive than a dime a dozen, but I'm good with that too.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Some people are so very very mean... Empty Re: Some people are so very very mean...

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:48 am

lol the funny thing is they put a nice fixed up car next to a piece of whoa nelly 76 malibu that should be rotting in the junkyard(alright i over exaggerated) and talk down on it, ugh makes me sick
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:54 am

Yeah I noticed that too. Could they have found a more rusted car? Maybe they got drunk and ripped the roof off just to make their story better. Put a pic of a few of our cars next to that one, and it's an entirely different story. That's okay, I always did like things that weren't so "mainstream." I don't really want to be like everyone else. I never did. Just let me be happy with my car that I searched for for over 20 years, and they can take their horrid opinions and stick them in their Accord asses. Very Happy

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:09 am

I read the comments after the story and one fella in particular summed up what I think is the reason why this generation isn't as popular as the earlier and later models. I think it's funny how the author(of the article) couldn't help but give good ratings for the suspension design even as he tried to bash it.

Here is the comment

"I had one of these as company car in ‘76. It rode well, handled OK and was comfortable but it was slow, ugly and got bad gas mileage; basically a hunk of $hit on wheels.

I beat a$$ on that car for a year and it held up surprisingly well inspite of its poor workmanship; I managed to dent most of the sheet metal and lose all four doggie bowl hupcaps in the process. Never broke anything significant however.

I mark these as the beginning of the end for GM in spite of their brisk sales. It find it odd that Hemmings Muscle Machines have been attempting to sing the accolades of the more “sporting” models; their editors must truly be lost or not really old enough to remember how bad these crapsters were, comparatively speaking."

I worked for a Chevrolet dealer in ‘73 & ‘74 and found these collonades to be the bane of my existence.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:26 am

It looks like a lot of the criticism is aimed at GMs response to the imports of the era, and the way they ignored the gas crisis etc. As far as that goes, they are right. The 73-77 GMs weren't very good cars for the period. Bad gas mileage, etc. If you look at other cars of the era, they were big, bulky gas hogs. Think Vega, Chevette, mustang II, gremlin etc...Very few people think of those as classics now.
That being said, they still sold hundreds of thousands of Malibus, Montes, Cutlass' etc. So they must have done something right.
If you read about the origins of the site, it tells you that the guy that started it is British, and basically got kicked out of the UK magazine biz for being an A$$. It also seems to take great pride in bashing cars. "Our writers pull no punches in our descriptions".

Phooey, I say. Compare this hack job to all of the positives in PHR, Hemmings, ChevelleWorld and the other Real car mags, and that should put this morons view in perspective.

Besides, the "authors" name is Niedermeyer.......Didn't you guys see Animal House? Niedermeyer was the A$$hole.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:42 am

Reminds me of the people who bought a restored 59 Chevy and cut the frame and cowl in stratigic areas and then run a collision test aginst a new Malibu or Impala. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:54 am

Yeah they hammer it pretty good. Why not just ask where all those mid seventies Honda's are. I havent seen one in at least 10 years. How about mid 80's Accords?Havent seen one of those in a hell of a long time either. Rusty Jap junk ! Stupid non car people should stick to talking about wall paper.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:59 pm

ant7377 wrote:Yeah they hammer it pretty good. Why not just ask where all those mid seventies Honda's are. I havent seen one in at least 10 years. How about mid 80's Accords?Havent seen one of those in a hell of a long time either. Rusty Jap junk ! Stupid non car people should stick to talking about wall paper.

hahahaha! this comment made me lol! so hard!!!! i totally agree, but we can sit here and talk about hondas like a pice of whoa nelly and we wont get anywhere, i say let them enjoy there perfect honda life and let us enjoy the best cars that were ever made that people overlooked and next time your driving your car around town and you see a honda please do me a favor and whoop him in a race GoFast GoFast, ill sure as hell try in my 4100 pound el camino with a 350 lmfao wish me luck
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:33 pm

Awww... mine only weighs in at 3900 pounds. I feel so cheated! Sad

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:35 pm

lol i was joking and theres nothing good about a heavy car
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:54 pm

New Impala is 3649 .Thats a front drive unibody car. 3900-4100 isnt really heavy compared to what is available today.

http://www.chevrolet.com/impala/features-specs/

Honda Accord v6 is only a little lighter

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan/specifications.aspx
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:00 pm

damn thats weird
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:01 pm

hell the GVW of my geo storm is like 3400

Some people are so very very mean... SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:58 pm

geck G-bodys not much lighter but everybody likes them for racing
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:03 pm

BlackChevelleSS wrote:hell the GVW of my geo storm is like 3400

GVW is Gross Vehicle Weight- the maximum weight that it is rated to carry when full of gas, people, and luggage.
it's actual curb weight is probably closer to 2500 pounds.

but i will agree that a 76 Malibu is one fugly car. but it's what GM had to build thanks to the high speed crash, low speed impact, and emissions laws that came out of nowhere in the early 70's. the 73 (actually, 71 but they got pushed back a couple of years) A bodies were going to be some really awesome cars until the gas crunch, environmentalists, and insurance companies all worked together to effectively neuter them.
everyone always rags on car companies for not responding fast enough to new trends- but new trends come out of nowhere for various reasons. it took until '77 for GM to start downsizing their big cars- the 77 B body was 700 pounds lighter than the 76 B body- with the A body getting downsized the next year with a similar amount of weight shaved off the mid sized cars as the full size cars.

as for interior room- when i was a 4' tall 50 pound kid, my dad's 73 Monte Carlo seemed absolutely HUGE. as a 5'11" 225 pound adult 30 years later, a car ride in the back seat of my 74 Monte Carlo is almost torture unless the driver is short and can move that big bench seat forward about 4" from where i have it. my 84 Regal has more rear leg room than it does and it's easier to climb in and out.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:04 pm

as someone who is 6'5 and 220 pounds i have to say that i love driving my 74 elco on a daily basis rather than the 70 chevelle or my girlfriends dads 72 elco...one, the 74 is actually a way better engineered car, which the article failed to mention, yes, they were VERY underpowered, but, they have a lot more leg room, better forward visibility, and far less blind spots than any of the a bodies before them.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:06 pm

HDHugger wrote:I don't know what they are talking about, but I don't think they do, either. These cars have plenty of backseat room, we used to go upnorth (6 hours each way) with a family of 6 and had no problems. Also, the trunk was big enough to hold all our luggage. These cars are tanks, they go through almost anything. I am PROUD to have had a 75 as my first car purchase, and as my most recent purchase. I love the good reactions I get at car shows, gas stations, when people yell out "NICE!" as I drive down the road, or when they drive past my house and slow down to call out. I am THRILLED to have another of these, and I am so glad that they are not a "dime a dozen" like so many other classics. Okay, most other classics are more expensive than a dime a dozen, but I'm good with that too.

i hear you, its nice to get compliments on something like what we drive, because any swinging d*ck that has about 20-60 k to spare can buy a first gen camaro, which you pretty much cant screw up. it takes someone with taste to take the g3's and make them special to the average person.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:17 pm

HDHugger wrote:Yeah I noticed that too. Could they have found a more rusted car? Maybe they got drunk and ripped the roof off just to make their story better. Put a pic of a few of our cars next to that one, and it's an entirely different story. That's okay, I always did like things that weren't so "mainstream." I don't really want to be like everyone else. I never did. Just let me be happy with my car that I searched for for over 20 years, and they can take their horrid opinions and stick them in their Accord asses. Very Happy

seriously dude, how can they talk about a honda accord of all things to be an icon in automotive fashion, they were ugly then, and ugly now.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:20 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:I read the comments after the story and one fella in particular summed up what I think is the reason why this generation isn't as popular as the earlier and later models. I think it's funny how the author(of the article) couldn't help but give good ratings for the suspension design even as he tried to bash it.

Here is the comment

"I had one of these as company car in ‘76. It rode well, handled OK and was comfortable but it was slow, ugly and got bad gas mileage; basically a hunk of $hit on wheels.

I beat a$$ on that car for a year and it held up surprisingly well inspite of its poor workmanship; I managed to dent most of the sheet metal and lose all four doggie bowl hupcaps in the process. Never broke anything significant however.

I mark these as the beginning of the end for GM in spite of their brisk sales. It find it odd that Hemmings Muscle Machines have been attempting to sing the accolades of the more “sporting” models; their editors must truly be lost or not really old enough to remember how bad these crapsters were, comparatively speaking."

I worked for a Chevrolet dealer in ‘73 & ‘74 and found these collonades to be the bane of my existence.

its funny when people who think they know stuff about cars but really dont try to say that just because you have a v8 you get bad gas mileage...i get people all day like what does that piece of S*** get? about 4 mpgs? im like uhhh actually it betters better fuel economy than your 40 thousand dollar brand new f150 and its faster too.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:45 pm

novaderrik wrote:

GVW is Gross Vehicle Weight- the maximum weight that it is rated to carry when full of gas, people, and luggage.

hence why I put GVW

My car weighs in at 2000lbs, im hoping to get it down to 1800lbs without me in it, then 180-200hp probably looking at low 13s in a geo storm haha. My 70 chevelle weighed in 4000lbs with me in it.

Some people are so very very mean... SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:04 am

BlackChevelleSS wrote:
novaderrik wrote:

hence why I put GVW

My car weighs in at 2000lbs, im hoping to get it down to 1800lbs without me in it, then 180-200hp probably looking at low 13s in a geo storm haha. My 70 chevelle weighed in 4000lbs with me in it.
You should try to put a home fabbed turbo on and push for 12s or even 11s, just imagine the look on the peoples faces when you smoke a BB Camaro with your Geo! Lol.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by lars Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:22 am

They probably couuld of found a '76 Mallibu with better body panels and just better in general in a junk yard. (As long as their are any left after last year when scrap price was so high...) What is that like out West??? Up here in NH, most of these big heavy cars got scraped... Makes it impossible to find junkyard parts...

Last edited by lars on Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake)
lars
lars
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by lars Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:23 am

could of** (from the begginig of my sentance)
lars
lars
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:01 am

Well where I live all you can find at junk yards are old cop cars, pickups, and hondas. Almost anything 20 years old or older is beginning to be horded.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next