G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

milestone today

+2
bigredlaguna
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
6 posters

Go down

milestone today Empty milestone today

Post by pila Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:54 pm

Today I bolted the Elco body back on the frame........big day in the restoration I think. I believe it was early June last year when I removed it and bolted it on the rotisserie. I mounted the engine and TH400 a few weeks ago.
Some interference issues that I knew I would have to deal with. The left rocker cover on the Caddy 500 is quite close, like maybe 5/8", to the brake booster, and the AC box with the evap core may have to be modified somewhat to get it mounted back on the firewall, since it looks like it will need room for the other (right) rocker cover.
I never thought it would be easy!! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

milestone today Empty Re: milestone today

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:18 pm

i have been interested in a caddy swap for a long time, so please share as much are your willing to post while you continue your restoration.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:39 pm

its been a year since my buddy almost finished his 73 monte.
milestone today 71109_10

we finally put on the door window trim and weather strip and wheel well moldings that we got from a guy for 150.
milestone today Monte_10

boy what a difference a little trim makes.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:51 pm

pila wrote:Today I bolted the Elco body back on the frame........big day in the restoration I think. I believe it was early June last year when I removed it and bolted it on the rotisserie. I mounted the engine and TH400 a few weeks ago.
Some interference issues that I knew I would have to deal with. The left rocker cover on the Caddy 500 is quite close, like maybe 5/8", to the brake booster, and the AC box with the evap core may have to be modified somewhat to get it mounted back on the firewall, since it looks like it will need room for the other (right) rocker cover.

Is the booster the original style? I think there are some later model boosters that are a smaller diameter that may work and give you better room.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 74chick Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:42 am

Good to hear. Sounds like it is going easier then you thoght it would.
74chick
74chick
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:02 am

bigredlaguna wrote:
pila wrote:Today I bolted the Elco body back on the frame........big day in the restoration I think. I believe it was early June last year when I removed it and bolted it on the rotisserie. I mounted the engine and TH400 a few weeks ago.

Is the booster the original style? I think there are some later model boosters that are a smaller diameter that may work and give you better room.

early 73 had thinner boosters,not as thick as the late 73-77. they do make smaller diameter after markets.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:51 pm

I think I saw somewhere that there is a 9" diameter booster available, but I'll have to research it to know it it will work on a '75. I didn't measure mine yet, but I believe it's the standard 11".

Lots of other things can get put back together, now that the body is back on. And there is still some body work on the numerous dings it had etc. At least there's no rust!! Smile

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:08 pm

I found out today that I can actually roll the rocker cover off of the head and get it off past the booster. It didn't look like I could until I fooled with it.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:47 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:

wouldnt one off of an 80s camaro work?
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:44 pm

Looks like I can stick with the 11 inch booster, which I would rather do.
Currently I'm sorting out the wiring, putting the harness back together. I'm actually using the harness from the '77 which I had to scrap last year. It had cruise etc, and the '75 harness was in tough shape. I replaced all the sockets in the harness for the lights, to preclude problems later with corrosion etc.
I have to get quite a few new parts yet, like a steering box, radiator, gas tank etc, and I'm just plugging along on other things, like putting the new windshield and rear window in . I wont be running out of things to do for quite a while Smile

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down