G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help i am looking for a 96 impala ss

+7
IndyG3
74Malibu383
Roadcaptain S3
BlackChevelleSS
Mcarlo77
orange Juiced
74MonteCarlo
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

help i am looking for a 96 impala ss - Page 2 Empty Re: help i am looking for a 96 impala ss

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:00 pm

Here is a Caprice 9C1 (Police Package) on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Caprice-9C1-police-package-LT1-/330461067690?pt=US_Cars_Trucks

The 94-96 Impala SS was the SAME car as this with the SS package that was mostly just appearance items. ALL impala SSs started at the factory as a Caprice 9C1

You can Get a good 9C1 Caprice for $1500 bucks easy. Add the grill and the wheels for 500 bucks and you more or less have an SS clone.

All of them have either OBD I or OBD II, which makes it easy to tweak the car for better gas mileage.
From the factory, these cars got 25+ MPG on the highway, 17 MPG in the city.

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

help i am looking for a 96 impala ss - Page 2 Empty Re: help i am looking for a 96 impala ss

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:05 pm

EVERYONE LOOK http://picasaweb.google.com/101977284162316221851/1996ChevroletImpalaSS#

i am 99% sure that this is the car that i am getting. my mom already said yes and it has 2150 miles on it. we are just trying to figure out why it only has that much miles i think it was a family members because she said "no re-sellers please". once we find that out then i might have this car by wednesday! cheers
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:06 pm

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/1900903568.html

Dark Green Gray Metallic Caprice (Same colr offered in Impala SS)
Cincy area, $1600 bucks.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:12 pm

77malibu77 wrote:EVERYONE LOOK http://picasaweb.google.com/101977284162316221851/1996ChevroletImpalaSS#

i am 99% sure that this is the car that i am getting. my mom already said yes and it has 2150 miles on it. we are just trying to figure out why it only has that much miles i think it was a family members because she said "no re-sellers please". once we find that out then i might have this car by wednesday! cheers

Be very careful, a lot of these cars are cloned from Caprices and sold as the SS.
Lots of scammers. Make sure you know what you are getting, don't pay 3000 for a 1500 dollar car. With mileage that low, that car should book for 15,000-25,000 bucks.

Go Here:
http://www.impalaforums.com/

And here: http://issca.org/

Do your homework before you buy.

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:20 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:EVERYONE LOOK http://picasaweb.google.com/101977284162316221851/1996ChevroletImpalaSS#

Be very careful, a lot of these cars are cloned from Caprices and sold as the SS.
Lots of scammers. Make sure you know what you are getting, don't pay 3000 for a 1500 dollar car. With mileage that low, that car should book for 15,000-25,000 bucks.

Go Here:
http://www.impalaforums.com/

And here: http://issca.org/

Do your homework before you buy.

alright but the vin number should tell me if its a caprice or impala ss right?
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:38 pm

NO!!

The Impala SS VIN will show up as a Caprice in some databases.
There are differences, but all Impalas are Caprices with the Impala SS package!!
(You would go to the Chevy dealer, order a Caprice and check off the Impala SS package when the cars were new) The VIN should be unique to the SS, but some databases don't catch it.
There should be a tag on the trunklid and on the door with the Imp SS codes-Don't remember what they are off the top of my head

Go to one of the above websites-They have great resources for telling the difference

Also go to NADA or Kelley blue book and punch in Imp SS with that mileage and you will see that the car is selling WWAAYY under value.

Go to Ebay and search 94-96 SS and you will get a general idea of what the prices should be for a documented SS.

As I said, Caprices cloned to SSs are EVERYWHERE, very easy to pass one off as an SS to someone who doesn't know the differences.

Last edited by Roadcaptain S3 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:58 pm

IMHO, an Impala SS is more for collectors that hoard their rides, not for the guy that plans to get one cheap. In this market, you can score a fourth gen Z28 for less than half the price of a comparable shape Imp SS. Unless you score a deal like RoadCaptain did, I'd look for some of the 9C1 cars out there first. OTOH, even if that was a faked SS, $3,000 for something that cheap is probably still worth the price. It's hard to fake something being that clean. Just saying.....
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Rago wrote:IMHO, an Impala SS is more for collectors that hoard their rides, not for the guy that plans to get one cheap. In this market, you can score a fourth gen Z28 for less than half the price of a comparable shape Imp SS. Unless you score a deal like RoadCaptain did, I'd look for some of the 9C1 cars out there first. OTOH, even if that was a faked SS, $3,000 for something that cheap is probably still worth the price. It's hard to fake something being that clean. Just saying.....

You is co-rrect as usual. I would have the 9C1 if this hadn't been a steal. Same car, half the price.

the ad doesn't say what he wants for it, but I smell a rat with that mileage.
Could be a misprint and he means 215,000 miles, but even then 3000 would be a good deal for a car in that kind of shape.

Brandon's problem will be taxes and insurance for that car at his age.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:
Rago wrote:IMHO, an Impala SS is more for collectors that hoard their rides, not for the guy that plans to get one cheap. In this market, you can score a fourth gen Z28 for less than half the price of a comparable shape Imp SS. Unless you score a deal like RoadCaptain did, I'd look for some of the 9C1 cars out there first. OTOH, even if that was a faked SS, $3,000 for something that cheap is probably still worth the price. It's hard to fake something being that clean. Just saying.....

You is co-rrect as usual. I would have the 9C1 if this hadn't been a steal. Same car, half the price.

the ad doesn't say what he wants for it, but I smell a rat with that mileage.
Could be a misprint and he means 215,000 miles, but even then 3000 would be a good deal for a car in that kind of shape.

Brandon's problem will be taxes and insurance for that car at his age.

alright to clear up your problems. SHE sent me an email.

Hi,

My 1996 Chevrolet Impala SS with 2,150 miles on it is still available, it's in good working condition .This car is excellent in every way, has no accidents reports,with no need for additional repairs, no scratches ,clear title and the price is only $3,595.The interior looks great (NO SMOKING). All documents, including owner's manual, clear title and a bill of sale on your name will be provided along with the car .
We will use eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection Program so we can both be protected.I just need your full name, full shipping address and phone # so I can open a case (with no further obligation or fees). I will provide you also an inspection period of 10 days so you can decide if you will buy the car or not.
For more pictures here is a link to the car photo gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/101977284162316221851/1996ChevroletImpalaSS#

Thank you,
Margareth Roberts

so what more you got to say she definately didnt misprint the milage because something that kleen would have to be factory or taken care of.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:12 pm

sounds like a scam, the 1st thing on ebay's Vehicle Purchase Protection site

Important security reminders:

* Vehicle Purchase Protection is only offered on transactions that are completed on eBay.
* eBay discourages the use of offline transactions, including payments made via Moneygram or Western Union. These types of payments are often associated with fraudulent transactions.
* Transactions that take place on eBay can be confirmed by seeing the item listed in the "Won" section on your My eBay summary page.

http://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/purchase-protection/
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:24 pm

This is definitely a scam! I answered a similar ad here in Mpls. for a '69 Camaro about 6 wks ago. Same story line...same proposed pay arrangement. I smelled a rat, too, and played the person for a couple of days to build her hopes of making a deal. In fact, I think I was being set up for a scam like this on a pair of swivel bucket seats I have listed on craigslist right now. Some person said he definitely wanted to buy them, but he was out of the country on business and would need to send me a money order. He wanted my name, phone number, address, etc...presumably so he could arrange a deal through e-Bay? A person really has to have his guard up; especially when things look too good to be true.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:18 am

for real but i was going to ask them if i can drive the car first. wouldnt that be a reasonable way to find out if its a scam?
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:06 am

Find a 94-96 Roadmaster Wagon.... same thing as the impala SS but so much cooler cause its a wagon

help i am looking for a 96 impala ss - Page 2 SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:35 am

I agree with BlackChevelle...wagons are VERY cool! Ask me how I know...
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:56 am

The email came from "Margareth Roberts" the picasweb page belongs to
Gregoria Matos-----Red Flag

Clean retail value for a 96 Imp SS via NADA= $11,225, asking price of
$3,595------Red Flag

Kelley blue book value for an Imp SS in excellent condition $15,300---Red Flag

Asking for your name address etc----Red Flag

Didn't provide a phone number----Red Flag

She's going to "open a case"??, call and set up an appointment to see the car, see if she asks fro ANY money...

Scam bro'

Check out the 9C1 Caprices or a wagon.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:30 am

ight i wont get it, honestly i want something small at this point but not too small because im like 6'4. something with a v6 but still looks sweet.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:35 am

I agree with everyone else. Flag that post so no one gets scammed. I had a similar story as Mcarlo77 when I was selling my Cutlass. The guy was out of the states on a business trip & wanted to have his secretary come look at the car. He offered to pay me with a money order but needed my info. When I asked why the secretary couldn't just bring cash, the emails stopped.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:40 am

77malibu77 wrote:ight i wont get it, honestly i want something small at this point but not too small because im like 6'4. something with a v6 but still looks sweet.

Eclipse with a 2.0L 4cyl turbo, my 6'7" 380 lb cousin fit fine in the driver seat. Stay away from 1.8 SOHC cars though unless you like being passed by Geos. For the money you are looking to spend, why not get a fourth gen Camaro though? I find 6 cyl versions for $1,000-$3,000 all day. 93-97 Z28s usually only run $2500-$5000 & if you get real lucky you can find a well used 98+ for cheap too.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:32 pm

ill sell my 91 caprice for $2k runns like raped ape and gets 18-20 around town
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:54 pm

im good im getting a small Furd ranger, plus i would never even be able to get to bristol wherever that is.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:56 pm

north of you in virginia
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:28 am

Furd Ranger? Suspect
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:07 pm

kinda my thoughts fyi ive been replacing lots of parts on those. depending on year trannies suck and the dont like to hold an alignment or suspention bushings
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:09 pm

If they have the twin beam suspension like their full size counterparts, they eat through tires just because of their design. This would back up the not holding alignment theory. Look at this diagram & you can see why their inferior design changes camber with every bump. How do I know they eat up tires? I owned an 83 Bronco that chewed through fronts on a regular basis.

help i am looking for a 96 impala ss - Page 2 Stock-ttb
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:36 pm

ight i can care less about how they eat through the tires i just want something i can save gas on, it wont matter if i have to change the tires a little faster than any other car
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next