G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help i am looking for a 96 impala ss

+7
IndyG3
74Malibu383
Roadcaptain S3
BlackChevelleSS
Mcarlo77
orange Juiced
74MonteCarlo
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

help i am looking for a 96 impala ss - Page 3 Empty Re: help i am looking for a 96 impala ss

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:09 pm

77malibu77 wrote:ight i can care less about how they eat through the tires i just want something i can save gas on, it wont matter if i have to change the tires a little faster than any other car

Seriously!?!?!? What do new tires cost? Will the savings you experience in fuel costs really offset the cost of new tires? You need to think this through. People here are giving you very good information.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

help i am looking for a 96 impala ss - Page 3 Empty Re: help i am looking for a 96 impala ss

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:37 pm

74Malibu383 wrote:
77malibu77 wrote:ight i can care less about how they eat through the tires i just want something i can save gas on, it wont matter if i have to change the tires a little faster than any other car

Seriously!?!?!? What do new tires cost? Will the savings you experience in fuel costs really offset the cost of new tires? You need to think this through. People here are giving you very good information.

lol we had a ranger here at my house and we had it for 3 years and still didnt need to change the tires, and my friend chris had one same year but in silver and he only changed his once out of the 6 years he owned it.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:46 pm

What year? 2wd or 4wd? This can make a difference in suspension design so I don't want to jump the gun & shoot down your thoughts. If it's a 98+ model, then you should be good to go since they replaced the TTB with a wishbone suspension. Also 4 or 6 cylder motors can have an impact on tire wear with the TTB due to weight differences not making the suspension move as much/often while driving down the road. Lowering is nearly impossible/bad idea & lifting requires dropping the pivot points to retain some of the camber. I guess I'm getting too far into this Found On Road Dead talk though.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:51 pm

Rago wrote:What year? 2wd or 4wd? This can make a difference in suspension design so I don't want to jump the gun & shoot down your thoughts. If it's a 98+ model, then you should be good to go since they replaced the TTB with a wishbone suspension. Also 4 or 6 cylder motors can have an impact on tire wear with the TTB due to weight differences not making the suspension move as much/often while driving down the road. Lowering is nearly impossible/bad idea & lifting requires dropping the pivot points to retain some of the camber. I guess I'm getting too far into this Found On Road Dead talk though.

yeah theres were at least 2000's. 2wd and i think its 6 cyl. but i was thinking about the extended cab so i can have somewhat of a backseat and its pretty decent on gas cuz there small trucks. and yeah id rather drive a chevy but whatever saves me gas money. plus they dont look to bad.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:08 pm

I knew there was a reason why your friend & family's Rangers didn't eat up tires. There's always a catch. Go with a newer one if you decide upon a Ranger, but a v6 truck isn't going to get any better mileage than a fuel injected v8 car..... food for thought.

I'm not a brand loyalist BTW. I only own one GM in my current fleet, one Furd, one Dodge, one import. I've had around 30 or so vehicles from a variety of manufacturers (admittedly more A Bodies & Eclipses though). I've owned FWD, RWD, AWD, 4WD 4, 6, & 8 cylinder cars & trucks ranging in weight from 1600lbs to 5000lbs. Motors from 1.3L to 455 cid & everything in between. I base my opinions on knowledge & NEVER brand loyalty.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:23 pm

you got 9 years on me lol almost ten. ive just always based my opinion on the anograms found on road dead and fix or repair daily. lol
and GMC is great mountain climbers

but they do run pretty strong
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:03 pm

i mean its your choice but i would pass on rangers not not due to brand heck i own an expidition but experience in the shops ive worked in. s-10's not bad but can be a pain to aligin. in 4x4's the vacuum/electric selinoid on axle are a job and should be replaced with maual cable. they both are prone to rust 2.8 are good s-10 motors in early ones then the 4.3 except late models (my opinion) you can not fool comp and adjust timing all done from electronically . also 4 banger s-10 rangers in my personal opinion are way too under powered
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:24 pm

wait so your saying s-10s arent good?? i was actually thinking one of those too or the ranger.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Having an S-10 as my first car, I would definitely recommend them for a cheap vehicle. Parts for them are ridiculously cheap, and they are easy to work on. As for the computer controlled stuff, that's not a big deal either. Their computers should still be working, but if it's not, ECU's for them are all over eBay.
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:39 pm

awesome thanks for the info indy!
maybe an s-10 is what i need, plus there chevy Smile
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:43 pm

I'll sell you my 78 Elky for a daily driver,cheap. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:37 pm

dragons_lair59 wrote:i mean its your choice but i would pass on rangers not not due to brand heck i own an expidition but experience in the shops ive worked in. s-10's not bad but can be a pain to aligin. in 4x4's the vacuum/electric selinoid on axle are a job and should be replaced with maual cable. they both are prone to rust 2.8 are good s-10 motors in early ones then the 4.3 except late models (my opinion) you can not fool comp and adjust timing all done from electronically . also 4 banger s-10 rangers in my personal opinion are way too under powered

I owned an 83 S15 Jimmy 4x4 with a CCC 2.8 & hated the lack of power.

I owned a 95 2wd S10 4cyl 5 speed & loved it - more usable power than the 2.8 by far.

My most recent one was a 93 4x4 with the CPI injected 4.3l. It flat hauled A$$ for what it was. Timing isn't hard to fool. you can unplug the connector & reset the base timing, shut it off, plug it back in & abracadabra timing is advanced. Mine also had Taylor plugs, K&N filter, EGR restrictor, Accel ignition, ported intake & runners, 2.5" exhaust with no cat, & some suspension mods all performed by yours truly. Running Interco tires, I still squeezed 22mpg & outran a Z71. My problem with them are the electric 4wd switch, but that can be resolved by cutting a hole in the floor & making a shifter out of a wrench Wink . Takes a whopping 5 minutes from start to finish. Broken actuator is also easy. Use a set of vise grips to lock it in place when you want 4wd. Most times it's just a vacuum line leak though.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:46 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:I'll sell you my 78 Elky for a daily driver,cheap. JB

sorry but shes wanting me to get a new car for a daily driver something later than 95 with low milage and i wont have to fix it all the time. plus not really into any of the box shaped malibus/el caminos thats why i sold my 81 elky
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:33 pm

rago the late ninety's till the end of them (with the the flat spider looking dist) are ones that are not adjustable no wire to unplug
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Gotcha, 96+ with OBD II. I know mine was OBD I & it was adjustable. I thought someone had mentioned the newer ones being a similar set up. Oh well, the newer ones had true Vortec heads so I would put up with no adjust-ability for that I guess.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:01 pm

danged computers
tell ya what had a 82 gp what had a 305 placed in after 3.8 was shelled and got 20 mpg and was still able to light them up
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3