G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

winter storage time

+6
JB2wheeler
MichiganMuscle77
lars
HDHugger
IndyG3
The Dude
10 posters

Go down

winter storage time Empty winter storage time

Post by pila Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:36 pm

I washed the Malibu today, to get it clean for the car cover. It's stored in my partner's hangar at the local airport. The Malibu didn't even get on the road this past summer. I did run down the runways with it every few weeks, just so it was warmed up etc. Too much going on this summer to drive it. Last summer it got only about 800 miles on it. Kind of expensive by the mile that way, so this year, it "rested" Smile most of the time. Probably have snow here in another month......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

winter storage time Empty Re: winter storage time

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:44 pm

Same story on my end. Probably only put 200 miles on my Monte Carlo this summer. Now, with winter looming on the horizon, it will soon be time to "winterize" it and put it under wraps to end another season of cruisin'. You guys living in the South have no idea how lucky you are to be able to drive all year 'round!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:33 am

Sad I let mine sit in the garage all Summer while I put priorities ahead of finishing it. Now that it's cooler & mowing season is over I can get back to work.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by MichiganMuscle77 Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:30 pm

Get out and drive them, guys!!!!

I've probably put almost 10,000 miles on my Cutlass this summer.

Drove it every single dry day, got caught in the rain once. Still driving it right now, will put it up next month.

Cars are for driving, not for sitting! Enjoy them while they last fellas, life is short!

MichiganMuscle77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:55 pm

Good point, Michigan Muscle! I tend to drive my car until it starts snowing. In Indiana, that normally means I get to enjoy it until January or so. Then it sits in a garage and I start it every couple of days (I don't get out much in the snow...)
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:18 pm

I agree whole-heartedly! I wait all winter long for the chance to get the Monte back out of storage and on the road...and, every Fall, I sit back and wonder where the summer went and why I didn't take the time to drive it more often. In good 'ol Minnesota, the typical driving season for classics is pretty much May 1 - Oct. 31. I've occasionally driven mine into the middle of November...but, that is rare. We've usually had snow by that time and the "salt shakers" have been out in force with their road chemicals. Likewise, in the Spring, everyone waits until we've had a few good rains to wash the chemicals off the roads.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:07 am

I got mine almost ready for storage also. We pulled the dash, so between getting that restored and finding all the other parts I need for the interior, we have enough work to last us through the winter. Come spring, we'll have our hands full putting at all back together again. I have to take the car out one more time to wash it, then put it back in the locker, put the cover on and pull the battery. I'll miss the car a lot, but it has to be done. These Wisconsin winters are brutal.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by lars Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:58 am

I also will agree once i can drive, These NewHampshire winters are also very bad, and yes the "Salt" or salt/dirt/sand is dropped and i will not drive my car
lars
lars
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MichiganMuscle77 Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:54 am

Michigan winters are bad, too. I don't drive in the snow or the rain. After winter, I wait until one good rain before I bring my car out, that way all the salt is washed off the roads.

But during the summer... any nice day, I'm driving it.

MichiganMuscle77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:12 pm

Okay...for the benefit of all us Northerners...maybe some members can their routine for putting their cars away for the season. In other words, what do you do to prep them for storage?

I used to be very anal about washing, waxing, wiping down the interior with conditioner, vacuuming, changing oil, greasing the joints, flushing the radiator, filling the tank and adding SeaFoam and laying a plastic tarp on the garage floor to prevent moisture from leeching up from the concrete and rusting the undercarriage. Now, I've gotten much lazier and basically wash the car, maybe change the oil, fill the tank and add the SeaFoam. Speaking of filling the tank, up here in the Land of Ethanol gas, I only use the Non-oxygenated Premium that is availabe at certain gas stations. It doesn't absorb moisture over the winter months like ethanol does. Makes for better starting in the Spring.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MichiganMuscle77 Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Wash, squeegee (look up California Water Blade, best $8 you'll ever spend - I PROMISE), chamois, wax, let fully dry. If you have an air compressor, use it to blow water out of cracks and seams.

Armor-all interior, use leather treatment on the leather.

Dryer sheets all over the interior, pick your favorite scent - they keep mice away AND your car smells great when you pull it back out in spring. Smell lasts maybe a month more after coming out.

Inflate tires to max pressure if they're going to be on the ground, use some sort of rubber conditioner on them if it's going to be extended storage. Same goes for weather stripping. Silicone spray works, spray it onto a shop rag and wipe weather stripping down really good. Also works on your DD so the doors don't ever freeze shut.

Fill gas tank so there is less area for condensation to form on the inside. Use dry-gas after filling the tank.

Get a carburetor cap. Drain fuel bowls. Remove battery, I store mine in my bedroom closet - 3 years on now and has never needed a charge when I go to get the car back out.

Here's a video of me starting my car up after storage this previous winter.. it was January 31st and somewhat warm, roads were dry, so I gave into temptation and took her out.

Had not been started since late November, so about 2 full months of storage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14qtJ_5FC4

DON'T change the oil. I usually get about 2000 miles or so on my oil before storage. The big time car collectors say that when you store a car, used oil won't be quite as thick as brand new oil when you go to start it - that way it'll flow through the motor better.

Change the oil after you've started and driven your car for a considerable amount.

After starting, don't just let it run for a few minutes and shut it off - condensation will form in your exhaust from the change in temperature, and if you don't let it heat all the way up, it'll sit there and start rusting.

Take it out for a long drive after bringing it out for the first time. Start off at cruising RPM's, don't beat on it... once the engine has been at operating temp for a little bit, then stretch the RPM's out a bit to help clear out old gas and carbon build up.

A little spray of WD40 in each cylinder before storage will keep the rings from sticking.

MichiganMuscle77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:06 pm

very good advise brother well put ...............

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Some great advise here, I have just one thing to add. I put moth balls in the trunk and in the floorboards and under the hood near the top of the cowl and on intake manifold. I use empty cereal boxes to protect floor mats and carpet. Trouble is them moths really scream when you...oh, did I mention that I put the car on jackstands? JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:35 pm

I put 100 octane Avgas in mine, which doesn't leave the crappy residue from ethanol. Of course the additive Sta-bil works good too, and I use it i my lawn tractor and emergency generator.
The battery died in the Malibu a moth ago, so it will get a new one in spring. It's five years old, so it did good!

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:40 am

I haven't put my MCs away for the winter yet, but probably soon. I usually wait until the snow and salt fly....

I've put ~900 miles on each of them, not sure if I'll make it to 1,000 miles on each of them like I did last year or not..... We'll see in a few weeks...lol.

Cort | 37.m.IL.pigValve.pacemaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic |* Chicagoland Meets, 2011?
MCs.CC + CHD.models.HO.legos.RadioShows + RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"This is not where you belong" ... Restless Heart ... 'Why Does It Have To Be (Wrong or Right)?'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:24 am

My Malibu came from Georgia, and has never seen a salty winter drive, or even been outside in winter. So I really don't want to break that streak ! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:07 pm

Well...took advantage of the nice weather yesterday (and, some of the advise on this thread) and got the Monte just about ready for bedtime for the winter season. Highlight of the afternoon was when I drove it up to the gas station to top off the tank and two separate guys came over to ask about it and share their stories and love of the "A" bodies! Goes to show there is a following for these cars...so, keep the faith whenever someone makes a disparaging remark about how these cars are just lumbering muscle car wannabes.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:46 pm

me still a little warm with no clouds today gonna install the trans cooler I got today one more step closer brake lines are next but will wait for the heater to get here for that part

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down