G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Air conditioning service

4 posters

Go down

Air conditioning service Empty Air conditioning service

Post by ant7377 Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:14 pm

Anyone ever replace the compressor on their car? Whats involved ? I know you you have to evacuate the system properly and all that but what parts other than the compressor have to be replaced? Is it a pain in the A$$? Mine was converted already how much 134 do I put in? I need some tips here.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Air conditioning service Empty Re: Air conditioning service

Post by lagunainnewark Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:07 am

After the system is recovered, you can remove the compressor. Replace the seals for the hoses, the instructions with the compressor will tell you how much oil you'll need to add to the compressor. Normally it's about 2 ounces. The instructions will also tell you what has to be replaced to cover the warranty requirements. Your MC should have what is called a VIR, valve in reciever, I would also replace it as well. It's basically the control unit for the system, and contains the descicant for water vapor removal. Now you'll need to place the system under a vacuum before charging. There should be a sticker with the charging weight and oil used when it was converted. If not I start with 50% of the original charge and add small amounts unit the system produces cold air. Try not to exceed 80% of the original charge. Hope this helps, If you don't feel comfortable doing the job, take it to a professional. You should be able to handle the parts hanging, just be sure to replace all seals. Good luck, Ron
lagunainnewark
lagunainnewark
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:15 pm

My 73 Monte, the one that needs the service uses what is called a POA valve.THis was the last year this was used,anyhow they have an update for this - http://www.opgi.com/p/cooling/23902/11/C241175.html has anyone ever used this before ? They say it must be used when converting to 134a which my car was. Thanks for the help !
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by lagunainnewark Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:40 pm

I instaled a couple of these kits. It converts your system to a CCOT(cycling clutch orifice tube) system. It's a better system, less moving parts.
lagunainnewark
lagunainnewark
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:09 am

I think Im going to have to give it a try.Not much choice ,but it dosent look original. Will the POA valve going bad make the compressor noisey? It says so in the shop manual but not what kind of noise.I get sort of a groan.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by lagunainnewark Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:36 am

It is the pressure control unit, it can cause the compressor to be noisey. So can low oil balance in the system.
lagunainnewark
lagunainnewark
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:41 pm

I added some oil it didnt help. I think Im just gonna go for boththe new compressor and the POA valve upgrade
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by lagunainnewark Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:47 am

I was just on "classicautoair.com" and they off a restorartiion and recalibration to r1324a for the POA valve. just another option, depending how original you want to keep your MC.
lagunainnewark
lagunainnewark
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:50 am

I just bought a receiver-dryer kit from Advance auto, which includes various pipes bent to fit most GM applications. It was about 50 bucks, and it's for my Elco project. Haven't decided on which compressor to use yet.
Ran across a place called Nostalgic air parts, online, which has a variety of compressors, including the Sanden, the "Sanden style" (knock-off) etc, and they have an A-6 GM style, built from aluminum, which weighs half of what the original does, which is heavy as hell.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:28 pm

Ive actually finally gotten around to working on this! After all the other BS,anyhow Im going to install the new compressor,this only takes 2 ounces? Ive seen other places where it says six ounces and a delco document saying add an ounce or so in different components of the system,whats the deal and how do I add the oil to the system from the little can just pour it in a port ?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:52 am

The info I have says to drain the oil from the old compressor, weigh it, and add that much oil to the new compressor.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Anthony- take some notes for me Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:11 pm

MMMM,I drained it already but didnt weigh it,in all the info ive found ive never seen that method but it makes sense,I dont want to over fill it, and it seems everywhere I look its something different. On another note Pila,are you really 81 years old? If you are thats great you are still messing with cars,I hope if I make it that long Im able to still do it too. And use a computer no less,you should be really proud of yourself!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Yeah, I'm 81 ! The trick is, to keep moving & busy ! I have a lot of projects besides fooling with cars. I also build tube-type guitar amps and restore old 30s lap-steel guitars, between working on airplanes Very Happy
My Elco project kinda suffers due to other things I'm into, but it's coming along.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 pm

Good for you ! Keep it up,I'll remember to keep busy and moving as a I close in on it! Laughing
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down