G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aftermarket Air Conditioning for LS swap

+2
thatfnthing
73GA
6 posters

Go down

Aftermarket Air Conditioning for LS swap Empty Aftermarket Air Conditioning for LS swap

Post by 73GA Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of a body-off-frame restomod on my 73 Grand Am. Body is back on frame, but while I have the dash completely disassembled it dawned on me that now is the time to install an aftermarket AC system, if I finally decide to go that way. The drivetrain consists of a new GM crate LS3 and Magnum 6-speed manual trans. The car had OEM AC but that is long gone, however, the dash controls remain and in a perfect world it would be ideal if I could integrate any aftermarket system into those controls.

Obviously, there are no bolt in systems for this application, but I have looked at Vintage Air systems and also a company called Restomod Air, whom I did email to see if they'd be interested in helping out. A friend in California spoke to a Restomod rep at a show down there and was impressed by the products and customer support, therefore my call. As for the VA kits, I've seen some mixed reviews but also know that they seem to be the go-to company for many hot rodders and overall those buyers seem happy.

Anyway, my question to everyone is, has anyone here installed an aftermarket AC setup into a 73-77 A-body that has had an LS swap, and if so, what was your experience and what are your recommendations? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Gavin.

73GA
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Air Conditioning for LS swap Empty Re: Aftermarket Air Conditioning for LS swap

Post by thatfnthing Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:11 am

Here's some light reading:

https://www.g3gm.com/t5428-vintage-air-retrofit

I installed the VA Gen IV system a bunch of years back.  I don't have an LS motor, but other than that difference, I think you'll find a bunch of things in there will still be relevant for you.

Now it was a bunch of years ago, so things may have changed, but I did a LOT of legwork at the time.  VA had the most comprehensive lineup of equipment and options.  Restomod, Southern, and all the others (at the time) only had straight up kits that were designed to fit only a few specific vehicles, and IIRC they were not even large units (VA equivalent of Gen II).  Nothing generic that could be adapted.  I can guarantee that you will be customizing and making up a fair amount as you go.  Therefore you need maximum flexibility and a la carte shopping from whoever you go with.  You will also be on the phone with them bouncing ideas around and looking for parts they don't normally list.

Also, FWIW: if you are looking to keep your stock controls, VA was also the only one that had the sliding pots that would allow you to make the stock controls work with the new unit.  Everyone else, you had to buy their controls.

As for the LS, maybe someone else has mounted the typical Sanden compressor to it and can chime in.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Air Conditioning for LS swap Empty Re: Aftermarket Air Conditioning for LS swap

Post by tropdeprojet Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:25 pm

Not aftermarket kit but this is my custom A/C system.

On my car, i have a 5.3l engin. Keep factory controls with a sanden compressor. I found an aftermarket sanden ls bracket.

Both rad and resitor came from S10. Only add 1/2 inch lenght with a custom cover on the factory firewall box.

The project not finish, i have to make hoses.
Aftermarket Air Conditioning for LS swap 20200414
Aftermarket Air Conditioning for LS swap 20200413
Aftermarket Air Conditioning for LS swap 20200415
tropdeprojet
tropdeprojet
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by 73GA Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:35 am

Wow, thanks so much guys! Special thanks thatfnthing for the link to your installation. I've just started reading and it's filled with excellent info. I also got in touch with Jeff Schwartz of Schwartz Performance because I recalled that his shop had done work on a pro touring 73 Olds 442 that was running an LS and 6-speed. Jeff gave a fast and helpful reply as well, which I'll post up tomorrow. Thanks again guys!

73GA
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:41 pm

Tropdeprojet .... I want to know about these Valve Covers Myself, Is that another custom job by you ??

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by tropdeprojet Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:03 pm

Limey SE wrote: Tropdeprojet ....   I want to know about these Valve Covers Myself, Is that another custom job  by you ??

This is Holley plastic LS valve cover. I will keep the cover in black and paint in orange , like the engin, the GMC laser cut parts.
tropdeprojet
tropdeprojet
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:43 pm

73GA wrote:Wow, thanks so much guys!  Special thanks thatfnthing for the link to your installation.  I've just started reading and it's filled with excellent info. I also got in touch with Jeff Schwartz of Schwartz Performance because I recalled that his shop had done work on a pro touring 73 Olds 442 that was running an LS and 6-speed. Jeff gave a fast and helpful reply as well, which I'll post up tomorrow.  Thanks again guys!

Always happy to help. I would be very interested in seeing your build thread when you do it. Wink
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by 73GA Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:27 am

Thanks again for your help, andapolgies for rage late response. I'm continuing with my research and will post up when I have made a decision. At this point I'm just emailing a bit and figuring things out. As for posting up in a build thread, I'll certainly give it consideration, but thanks for the encouragement. Back soon... I hope.
Aftermarket Air Conditioning for LS swap Img_6610
Aftermarket Air Conditioning for LS swap Img_6710

73GA
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by 73GA Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:31 am

HA! Nice spelling! It's supposed to read, "and apologies for the late response"! No "rage" here! Sorry 'bout dat! ;-)

73GA
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by tropdeprojet Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:08 am

Nice car! Like the wheels and paint color.

tropdeprojet
tropdeprojet
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:03 pm

Have you already put the LS3 and t56 into the car?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73GA Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:37 pm

I'll just admit up front that I am not an internet guy, so my apologies for the late, late update here. Yes, the LS3 is installed along with the T56. Just finished bleeding the kore3 C5/6, four wheel discs yesterday. Due to upcoming life changes, I'm on a tight schedule now to get as much done on the car in the shortest period possible before I'll will be committed to something else that will take me away from my car for a while. Naturally, I'm feeling some stress over this but I'm dedicated to doing everything I can in the time I have. Back to the air condithing, the dash is completely out of the car and the front clip is off, so now is the time to make the move on the AC. I've read of varying output performance on some VA units as well as concerns about the quality of the offshore components. That said, I think the price point of the VA units, along with the flexibility of fit they offer may be better than that offered by other suppliers. This is all based in what I've read and no personal experience so I still feel I don't have as much info as I need before pulling the cash trigger. The next step is to call VA and see what they suggest and how soon I can get something. I'll try to do a better job of keeping you informed. As always, your comments, experiences, and tips are welcomed. Cheers!

73GA
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Nice job. If you want to get crazy with your AC system, I have the complete under dash unit, controller, and front accessories from a Corvette Z06. I was going to install everything in my 1970 Camaro, along with the LS7, but I sold that car. I have the complete wiring harness and gauges as well. I just finished putting the LS7 into my 2001 SS Camaro and I don’t need any of this stuff now. Your car is going to be awesome! I put a TREMEC T56 Magnum in my 1976 Laguna with a 496 BBC. I know how much effort that takes. Good luck.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by 73GA Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:17 pm

Thanks RevinKevin for the comments and offer. If I was an AC expert I might take you up on the offer, but I'm trying to make my first entry into AC installation as painless and well documented as possible. Ive had a couple of conversations with a rep at VA and I'm close to going forward on either the Gen IV Magnum or Gen II Super. It's all about what can be stuffed under the dash. A bit more research and I'll be back.

73GA
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down