G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali

+40
pila
dynchel
Mcarlo77
Joe73
driveit
Hawk03
Fishgrinder
1973 454 MONTE
bracketchev1221
Limey SE
chevellelaguna
1973montec
Bruisr
bigredlaguna
jerry46765
BicknellWelding
geoff528
2fat2fly
Jim_Rockford
DiscoMalibu
Brainstain
Laguna Budman
Dubie
74MonteCarlo
JB2wheeler
WyldeBill66
Wallyuph
dragons_lair59
77ElClassic
Dead Man
Graham Perkins
jrb75
chromereverse
Checyxtc
74Guna
texan01
abajc3
JiMi_DRiX
orange Juiced
HDHugger
44 posters

Page 17 of 27 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next

Go down

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 17 Empty Re: 1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali

Post by 77mali Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:17 pm

I bought a new breather & another one w/ built in PCV. They were cheap enough. The covers on it now are new- just need final clean up & paint but thanks.

As far as the clearance goes, it'll be a while before it goes back in the car but I'll watch for it. Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll be ok, seem to remember there was enough room. The bottom half of the clamshell will be on the car & the top will be installed on the engine block...in theory I should be able to mate them & just put the big bolt in after it's set in place. I'm hoping to be able to have the trans on there also & get it in in one shot. I have an engine balancer I plan to use.

Found the old craigslist ad pics from b4 the car was bought today...lol
1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 17 3ma3oc10 1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 17 3n93kc10
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 17 Empty Re: 1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali

Post by 77mali Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Got the test stand almost done. If it wasn't for the mini blizzard it would have been. Will edit in pics tomorrow
( Didn't take any today geek )

Any way- still need to finish it off tomorrow & then hopefully by next weekend I'll be pretty much done with all the associated "little crap" & can fire it up.
bounce

The stand is more like a sled, LOL. I have the engine cradle fastened down with 1/2" x 3-1/2" coarse lag bolts. Using a combo of various length coarse screws & such, plus added some stud type reinforcing at stractegic points & some other bracing too. Should be fine- just got to remember to get a good sized extinguisher just to be safe.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:15 pm

Good luck! Drinking Party
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:21 pm

Be careful.....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:26 pm

I'll edit pics in previous post tomorrow. Thanks guys. Beer

Don't worry Bill- it's pretty darn solid. Has the lag bolts & almost an entire box of screws. It won't tip over ( & I'm adding heat shields too). Plus, I'm 99.2 % it won't leak anything either Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:14 pm

Paul,you should have contacted me about the valve covers,I had it out with mine, I ended up using one GM one and one china one . Painted them orange and done but yeah the gasket wouldnt stay on mine either. The breather hole is smaller on the GM one so I used the China one for that side since the breather with smaller hole was defective and caused me some greif and got tossed.I think it landed in the neighbors yard.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:23 pm

I like them, I just didn't check for the hole sizes Embarassed

I was no biggie- Spectrum makes the larger breathers & they have a breather w/ a built in PCV for the opposite side. They have an adapter kit also for the little plastic plugs they slide into on the covers. About $15-20 for everything at Autozone.

The stupid lip on the valve covers were a PITA w/ the gaskets sliding off but they met their match with the Ultra Black gasket sealant. Twisted Evil

I'll get you the P/N's if you want, they're in my workshop, if you're going to hop the fence to retrieve it...LOL
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:47 pm

You know the thing was actually defective.THe damn dipstick came up and i though I broke a ring or something with all the blowby but it was because air couldnt come up through it it was crimped wrong. Its fine the way I have it Im going to leave it.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:14 am

I have tried those PVC breathers from auto zone (two different times to be exact) and they didn't work well for me. The one time i was leaving for work and the engine started smoking, upon inspection i found oil was blowing right past the breather and pooling (and burning off the valve cover& exhaust). I installed a standard PVC right in the valve cover, the way Chevy did it, and never had another problem. I definitely looked better with the breather. Just my two cents. Smile
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:22 am

If that happens, I still have the regular style PCV. I'll be able to tell right away. They are not the best quality. A company on ebay sells billet style breathers & PCV's w/ housings you can take apart to clean the breather element & remove & replace the PCV unit for about $18 ea. I'm going that route once the motor is back in the car.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:28 am

THe other thing you can do instead of a breather is put a little tube to the bottom of the air cleaner assembly (stock style),there is usually a knockout on the base to install a barbed fitting. Then put a PCV on the other side of the motor to the carb.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:13 pm

Still have a few fasteners to install but this is pretty much it, less heat shields but I have to install exh manifolds 1st. I should add that as an extra measure of safety, the engine crane will also be thrown in the mix just in case. The cranes legs will also be used as a base for the radiator to sit on via 2 small self drilling screws.

4) 1/2" x 3-1/2" coarse lag bolts with lock washers are the primary point of attachment to the "stand/sled/whatever this is"
1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 17 P1050213

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 17 P1050214

The little "step shelf" in the middle here is for reinforcing as well as a place to secure the battery & tray
1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 17 P1050215

Rear view, center piece @ the bottom here will get 4 more screws to fasten to subfloor
1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 17 P1050216
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Well, I'm going to pass on heat shields. A bit unconventional but this way the heats not a problem on the wood. Laughing
I have some reducers for the collectors & will clamp on some pipe also in order for the exhaust to flow out of the workshop better.

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 17 P1050217

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:42 pm

i thought you were building a malibu. not a speed boat....
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:49 pm

LOL! That remains to be seen.

Mercruisers are Chevy's after all Very Happy

& That's totally where I got the idea.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:37 pm

Actually there were some years that Mercruiser used the blue oval small blocks too, like way back in the 70s or 80s.
My boat has a 327 Chevy, Flagship conversion.

So,.... you are just about ready to do the break-in ?? Not to insult you, but I suppose you know that you need at least a half hour break-in at 2000 + RPM, and ZERO idling......or do you have a roller cam ?? I don't remember, since I have CRS......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:07 am

I'm getting there & yes. Let's leave the blue oval out, hose were dark days for Mercruiser. Laughing

I just sprung for a new alternator yesterday it was difficult to find one with the correct clocking but NAPA came through for me. Need to get wiring, test gauges & tach wired up & maybe a new battery too but hopefully this weekend sometime.

By the way- I had idiot lights and there was a small brass manifold behind the intake that had a connector but I had him plug it as the car will now have a real pressure gauge. There is a hole on the block by the filter (not the one just above it on the housing but a little left of it). I'm assuming that this is a good spot to put the oil pressure sender as it was left uncovered by the builder. Is that the correct spot for it?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:41 am

I'm not sure about that particular hole. The one directly above the filter was used for oil pressure on the late 80s engines.

About the alternator, it can be clocked to where ever you want it, by removing the 4 case screws, loosen the case halves just slightly from each other, and turn the back half to where you need it to be. By splitting the case halves just about 1/16 ", the brushes wont slide off of the slip rings while the back half is turned. The core of the stator winding has to stay with the front half when splitting the case halves, since the internal wiring has to stay in position.
I have two alternators that I rebuilt as spares, the 63 amp type.

As far as idiot lights are concerned, I keep them hooked up even with gauges, since they do get more immediate attention, more than a gauge reading.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:04 am

you can clock your own alt.
all you need is time and a toothpick.

good luck with the fire up.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:16 pm

I got the Alt yesterday already, I'm not that patient. LOL

I'll call the builder regarding location of the pressure sensor. Makes sense to me that it would be above the filter. Maybe they just closed off the wrong hole?

Thanks fellas. (Fingers crossed) Smile
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:14 pm

Flat tappet or roller ?? If it's flat tappet, it's gonna be quite noisy in your garage for about half an hour !! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:26 pm

I have Comp Cams magnum "roller" tappets.  I have hearing protectors too.  Wink

This was last years head swap (with the old cam) before I pulled the motor after discovering the oil leak.  It's only about 15 seconds but it was loud as heck w/ no mufflers (Turn it up):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emp5DuaeDdw

Last edited by 77mali on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 17 Empty Fire not in the hole

Post by 77mali Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:32 pm

This weekend was a dud. Turns out I need to snag or fab a spacer for between the Alt & cylinder head on the back side where the long bolt goes- otherwise it'll be crooked. I should have caught that one. Also turns out I need a new battery too as the old one won't recharge past 40% & that won't give me enough to crank the motor. I think I need to recharge my-self & take a break from the car for a few days.
Give Me Beer
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Glad to hear you have roller tappets ! That spacer behind the alternator is one like I lost once, and had to make one !

And I know very well about needing a re-charge for yourself ! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:12 pm

Looky what I found with the steering pump stuff...I have no idea who put the spacer bracket with those items... Embarassed (Son of a *&^%!)
Man I really had a brain spasm. I new something was up...I'm looking at the Alt going...WTH is this Turd?? Laughing

1977 Chevelle Malibu Classic Progress Photo's aka Mali - Page 17 P1050218
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 27 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 27  Next