G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Repo Lower Door Panels

5 posters

Go down

Repo Lower Door Panels Empty Repo Lower Door Panels

Post by Pontichev327 Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:08 am

I got a set of repro lower door panels and they look great to the average guy, but if you know what to look for, or if you hold them side by side to an original panel, there are differences! The most obvious is there is NO STITCHING! The channels are there, but no fake thread. The grain is slightly different too. Mine seem to be a shade smaller too, and because of that, they dont line up with the holes perfectly. Anyone else have this situation? It is one of the few things they actually make for us, and I wish it was a better repro!!
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Repo Lower Door Panels Empty Re: Repo Lower Door Panels

Post by Landonus Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:26 am

That's pretty sad. How hard could it really be for a company that does this as a business get something so simple so wrong? How much did you end up paying for them overall? You should post a side by side if you get a chance for other folks wanting to make the same purchase.
Landonus
Landonus
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:36 am

are you asking for a set of door panels or what? This is in the classifieds wanted section

Repo Lower Door Panels SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:43 am

Sorry, my mistake,.. i thought i was posting in the General section, my bad.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:45 am

Pontichev327 wrote:I got a set of repro lower door panels and they look great to the average guy, but if you know what to look for, or if you hold them side by side to an original panel, there are differences! The most obvious is there is NO STITCHING! The channels are there, but no fake thread. The grain is slightly different too. Mine seem to be a shade smaller too, and because of that, they dont line up with the holes perfectly. Anyone else have this situation? It is one of the few things they actually make for us, and I wish it was a better repro!!

i have lower panels.
Repo Lower Door Panels 08041210
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:47 am

I'm always afraid of the aftermarket with things like that. That stinks & I bet they were not cheap either.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Pontichev327 wrote: Sorry, my mistake,.. i thought i was posting in the General section, my bad.

No problem, Moved it for ya

Repo Lower Door Panels SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Ok, I got some pics of the SS door panels. You can see clearly there is no stitching in the channels around the edge. Also notice the rub marks from the old panel and where they were. The bottom left corner of the upper panel is not covered all the way, and notice how the edge of the bottom panel is much farther from the door edge than the top. I got them from NPD and the brand is DASHTOP like the dashcaps. I made this purchase over a year ago and it has taken this long to get things rolling. Yes, I also have some spare original panels NOW... but I don't like dying them too far from the molded color if I don't have to. The first two pics show the repro panel. The third is the product label, and he last three show original panels and the recovered seats, notice how the stitching looks and the fitment at the edge of the door. [img]Repo Lower Door Panels Interi10[/img][img]Repo Lower Door Panels Interi12[/img][img]Repo Lower Door Panels Interi13[/img][img]Repo Lower Door Panels Interi14[/img][img]Repo Lower Door Panels Interi15[/img][img]Repo Lower Door Panels Interi16[/img]
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:14 pm

I ended up only using the repro drivers door for now. My passenger side original was ok to use, but the drivers panel had a large crack near the bottom. I will probably change the drivers side back to an original, but I'm not in a hurry. The top of the upper original panel has a small slit at the lock hole, so if there is someone with a 73 Dark Saddle upper drivers panel let me know. Very Happy [img]Repo Lower Door Panels Interi17[/img]
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:31 pm

Going to all the trouble to make molds, you'd think they'd get it right.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down