G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats it worth?

+3
IndyG3
The Dude
moneypit73
7 posters

Go down

Whats it worth? Empty Whats it worth?

Post by JB2wheeler Sun May 10, 2009 10:09 pm

Just curious, I have a 400 small block stored away and it is in excellant condition and has 43,000 original miles on it. Locally I am told that it is worth no more than one with 200,000 miles and from a junk yard. What do you thing this engine is worth? It had the fuel pump and distrubiter "stole" off it while sitting in the back of the speed shop after I had the 540 put in. Otherwise it is complete. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Whats it worth? Empty Re: Whats it worth?

Post by moneypit73 Sun May 10, 2009 10:29 pm

500.00 if 4-bolt main. if not what ever you can get.
moneypit73
moneypit73
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Sun May 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Mileage doesn't really matter if it's just an engine because it's too hard to prove. With that said, it isn't worth any more than your typical junkyard 400. Being able to turn the motor over & letting prospective buyers thoroughly inspect it may get you a higher price, but other than that expect no more than whatever other 400s are going for. If it's ever been bored over, better drop the price signifigantly because 400s have thin cylinder walls that can develop cracks easier than typical SBCs.

Got any casting #s or other info?
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon May 11, 2009 9:51 am

Its the matching #s engine for my 74 Elky and it has never been apart. My odometer is still at only about 48,000 miles. $500 is the estimated price I have been qouted locally, but cant believe its not worth more than that. My plans are to keep it to put back in my Elky if I ever need to. Trouble is my doctors want to write me off as a lost cause and I am running out of physical abilities. I need to get rid of a bunch of stuff and the 74 will be still here when I am gone. I am putting my 78 Elky up for sale. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon May 11, 2009 10:28 am

Since it's the #s matching engine & never been rebuilt, I say hold on to it. One day you might want to restore the Elky to its original form & it just became that much easier & cheaper. Just make sure to take care of that motor while it's sitting. Properly cover it up, change the oil every once in a while so the oil don't break down & start to corrode the motor, have someone spin the crank on occasion & squirt Marvel down in the cylinders. Some people say I go overboard, but trust me on the oil part. It may not happen immediately, but oil turns into something fierce when it gets too old.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon May 11, 2009 12:56 pm

JB even though it is the original motor to your car with the times were are in, 400 are bringing next to nothing in my neck of the woods. Right around $275 to $390 is what they have been bringing here. Being its complete minus the dist it may bring more and if it hasnt been decked yet to prove the vin to the car, IT MIGHT just MIGHT bring the 500 you were quoted. I am so sorry about the news from your doc's....................... JB i hope you prove them all wrong MY FRIEND YOU HAVE TO STICK AROUND TO KEEP US YOUNGER ONES IN LINE HERE !!! EITHER THAT OR WRITE A BOOK OF YOUR VAST KNOWLEDGE OF MOTORS AND SUCH AND LIFE EXPERIENCES

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon May 11, 2009 2:04 pm

One thing I can do is still shoot the crap on the computer. My Glaucoma is much worse, my knees and legs have went out on me to the point I am just one step away from a walker and sitting around on my butt is making me gain weight like crazy because I dont get out and have not worked on my cars since last fall when the alternator went out. The doctor does not want to operate on my knees because he says my heart wont take it. I need some cheering up! I think I'll go down to Hellen's house of ill repute today, oh, I forgot I am too old to do that too. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Mon May 11, 2009 2:08 pm

You know, orgasm-induced-heart-attack has been could be considered the best way to go! Just saying! Laughing
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon May 11, 2009 2:09 pm

well JB you will always be in my prayers my friend, wished my dad would have bought that land in KY like he wanted to. I would be able to come over and shoot the s**t with ya anytime LOL

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Wed May 13, 2009 9:19 pm

JB,
Enjoy yourself brother. Find something each day that will make you happy and do it. Stay active, keep smiling and let us know if there is something we can do.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed May 13, 2009 9:58 pm

Thanks Fellows. If I can talk the doctor into operating on my knee I will be able to crawl under the car and use that expensive chassis paint I bought from Eastwood. He does not want to operate on me because he says my heart wont take the strain from the anastesia. Hey, I used to be an athelete 50 years ago, I have nothing to worry about. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonZ Thu May 14, 2009 9:40 pm

JB2wheeler wrote:Just curious, I have a 400 small block stored away and it is in excellant condition and has 43,000 original miles on it. Locally I am told that it is worth no more than one with 200,000 miles and from a junk yard. What do you thing this engine is worth? It had the fuel pump and distrubiter "stole" off it while sitting in the back of the speed shop after I had the 540 put in. Otherwise it is complete. JB

511s 510s are the best blocks of 400s
JasonZ
JasonZ
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down