G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil light?

+3
bracketchev1221
Joe73
77mali
7 posters

Go down

Oil light? Empty Oil light?

Post by lownslow75 Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Anyone know why my oil light stays on with the ignition turned off, in the lock position with the keys out?
lownslow75
lownslow75
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Oil light? Empty Re: Oil light?

Post by 77mali Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:16 am

That's pretty strange. Have you checked the electrical connection at the oil pressure sensor? It's a pretty thin gauge wire maybe it's faulty? I don't know why it would stay lit though as even if it has failed removing the key should shut it down. scratch 
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by lownslow75 Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:27 am

Yea it's weird, I also found out that my fuel gauge also stays on, so it's most likely a wiring harness problem?Question 
lownslow75
lownslow75
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:25 am

I'd lean more towards a faulty ignition switch or the harness that runs down the column. Sounds like the switch is leaving power "on". Pretty easy fix inside the column.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:14 am

Joe73 wrote:I'd lean more towards a faulty ignition switch or the harness that runs down the column.  Sounds like the switch is leaving power "on".  Pretty easy fix inside the column.  
I would agree with this. My Nova sorta kinda does it occasionally. But if I see it, I jiggle the key switch and it goes out.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:50 pm

X3 on the ignition switch, or maybe the rod from the lock that runs down to the switch etc.
Switch has slots for the mounting screws, for adjustment. SO maybe it's not releasing the switch to the OFF position for some reason, like a bad switch....

I usually drop the column down from the mount on the bottom of the dash, and let the column down for better access to the switch, after removing the steering wheel. I just changed on on my old Caddy beater.

One caution there: The little cable that moves the needle for the gear selector display, has to be un-hooked from the sleeve that the shift lever is mounted on, before dropping the column down. Those little cables are hard to find.....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by lownslow75 Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Alright thanks everyone! I'll check it out today as soon as the frost melts.
lownslow75
lownslow75
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by lownslow75 Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:13 pm

Is it possible that I have a bad switch and it just crapped out on me all of a sudden? It seems like the ignition switch has no stopping points from the lock position to the start position?
lownslow75
lownslow75
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by lownslow75 Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:24 pm

Well turns out my curiosity got the best of me and I just broke my switch. Had it out and ready to put back in until I found out I can take the metal cover off, out flys the spring, breaks the blue housing and all the copper pieces come flying out :evil:learned my lesson with that! Time to get a new switch.
lownslow75
lownslow75
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:53 pm

lownslow75 wrote:Well turns out my curiosity got the best of me and I just broke my switch. Had it out and ready to put back in until I found out I can take the metal cover off, out flys the spring, breaks the blue housing and all the copper pieces come flying out :evil:learned my lesson with that! Time to get a new switch.
It was probably for the best. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:48 pm

pila wrote:

One caution there:  The little cable that moves the needle for the gear selector display, has to be un-hooked from the sleeve that the shift lever is mounted on, before dropping the column down.  Those little cables are hard to find.....
yes they are.. the gauge cluster swap I did, the cable was broken long before I got my hands on it. I wound up using braided fishing line to make mine work. It seems the gauge clusters have the broken cable, but the sweep cluster doesn't have the issue on the Chevy

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by lownslow75 Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:59 am

Yea, I "fixed" it. Turned out that my accessory wire to my fuse box wasn't in all the way that's what kept the constant power to my dash.
lownslow75
lownslow75
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down