G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with ash tray light

2 posters

Go down

Help with ash tray light Empty Help with ash tray light

Post by bitterfitter Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 pm

Now that my front suspension is finished up, I am trying to button up the dash. While pokeing around under the dash I ran into, what looked like a dangeling wire. Following it, I found it went to the back of the ash tray. When I looked at the front of the ash tray, I found that this thick wire just stuck through a hole into the ash tray area and stopped. I wondered if this had something to do with the missing ash tray light and then I realized; This is fiber optics. I put my LED flashlight up to the loose end and sure enough the end in the ash tray lit up! So all I need to know is where is the loose end supposed to go to feed light to the ash tray?

I am also finishing putting all LED bulbs in my dash. I have got to tell you this is so much better to see the gauges with in the dark!

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Help with ash tray light Empty Re: Help with ash tray light

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:10 pm

That loose end of the fiber optic should have a clip on it that holds it to a bulb socket. That bulb socket is inserted into the back of the instrument cluster...at the furthest opening on the right side. In my case, between the clock and Volt gauge.

Help with ash tray light Ashtra10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:09 am

Thanks for the input. I will have to look behind the dash for where this is supposed to be connected to. Does this get its light from a dedicated bulb? or does this bulb also light up another area of the dash? (like the clock and volt gauge)

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 am

No dedicated bulb. Just utilizes an existing bulb/socket. However, what I didn't notice until now is that, upon closer inspection, the back end of the socket is molded slightly different in order to retain the fiber optic retaining clip.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:03 pm

I will look for that. It might make it easier to find.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:19 pm

So I was out in the garage and decided to look into this.  The bulb socket behind my amp/clock was a normal one.  Figures it got rearranged or changed years ago.  I went to my bins of small parts, where I keep all these sockets.  After pulling them out and looking at them, I noticed a white one among all the black ones.  It was the one I needed.  It had the metal holder and the hole for the fiber optics.  I changed it out and now everything is good again.  Thanks for all the help!!

Beer

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:53 pm

Don't you wish everything went this easy?!!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:22 pm

If everything went this easy; I would have finished this car years ago... Laughing 

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down