G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Radio/stereo options?

+5
Redsway76
IndyG3
BlackChevelleSS
ant7377
Roadcaptain S3
9 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Audio

Go down

Radio/stereo options? Empty Radio/stereo options?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:27 am

Hey all, Don't wanna cut the dash. The only "shaft" radios I can find are the custom auto sound usa2s. The cheapest version of these things is $150 for what looks like it should be a forty dollar radio. Some of the others with more features are in the $500
range. WTF. I'm sure ya'll already know all this. Crutchfield has a P.O.S radio for like fifty bucks that you have to add the Amp/equalizer to. Don't really want to glove box or console mount. Ebay had some old pioneer radios that had been rebuilt that MIGHT fit, but those were priced $150 bucks for a twenty year old used radio.

Any suggestions?
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Radio/stereo options? Empty Re: Radio/stereo options?

Post by ant7377 Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:10 pm

I just bought a retrosound for my 77 Monte. The thing is cool but its 259 bucks. I was think of the custom autosound but it looks like a POS.Jegs has the retrosound for that price but the knobs are 15 bucks extra because they give you a few choices. The chrome knobs are metal too. I havent installed it yet but I will get to it .

Heres the link and some video's

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/video
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:26 pm

I was reading up on the custom autosound radio on a chevelle site, and all the guys who had one said they sounded pretty bad (tinny) and there wasn't anyway to adjust it. Sounds like you made a good move. All i'm lookin for is a radio and a way to plug in my mp3 in the front, don't need cd
sirius or so much power i can shake the neighbors house from 2 blocks away. Been looking around today and it looks like you made the best choice.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:08 pm

I tried bidding on a NOS Kenwood that was about 10 years old on ebay but it went for 127 bucks! No freakin way was I paying that much for that.Im just putting 2 6X9's to this thing so I (actually my wife since I dont listen that much) can listen to the radio on a road trip.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:46 pm

found this one, its a Dual brand with a AUX IN on the front. $49.99

Radio/stereo options? H070XC4100-f_dgp

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XC4100/Dual-XC4100.html?tp=5684
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:18 pm

Im running the KENWOOD like mentioned, it has the input as well but is in the back, they make adapters for it for IPODs and CD changers, it also has the built in CD changer controls. I love it but being made in 1992 and so was the CD changer it skips ALOT over bumps. Looking to get the adapter for the MP3 player and get me one of those now.

Radio/stereo options? SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:02 pm

Does anyone have any ideas on where to find something that looks factory, but has AM/FM? The eBay specials won't cut it, cause I've had some bad problems with them before...
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Redsway76 Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:28 pm

i like that dual tape deck i believe i just might buy it one of these days
does the cover over the buttons come off it looks like it might ???
Redsway76
Redsway76
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:34 pm

i am getting rid of the JVC AM/FM cassette tape stereo i have ..... its the one made by ken harrison for our cars but never installed going a different route with stereo so this is for sale 100 bucks will take it

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:21 pm

orange Juiced wrote:found this one, its a Dual brand with a AUX IN on the front. $49.99

Radio/stereo options? H070XC4100-f_dgp

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XC4100/Dual-XC4100.html?tp=5684

this radio must be fairly popular- i saw it installed in Chevelle and Mustang project cars in last months PHR and Super Chevy...

i've got a pretty bitchin factory am/fm/8 track/cb radio out of a 76 FURD ( I AM A TURD) LTD that might bolt into a mid 70's GM, but the wiring would definitely be different. i've even got the matching power antenna to go along with it....
it's not for sale, i'm just bragging..

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:52 pm

found mp3 player, says it will play in your cassette deck.

Radio/stereo options? MP3-cassette

http://www.chinavasion.com/product_info.php/pName/cassette-mp3-player-stand-alone-or-car-cassette-player/
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:38 am

Remember guys, you can put whatever looks good in the dash and still have amazing sound if you are only concerned with listening to an ipod. Originally I was going to run rca from an ipod to a 4 channel amp... piece of cake, but then I found this! Stolen from another site:

Exclamation HOW TO: ipod into hotrod without a radio
look, the ipod hook up is EASY. it takes up less space, it's easier to hide, and you don't have to store all your cd's someplace.

here's what ya do.....

get an ipod.

go to your local stereo shop or shop online, but beware that alot of these products do not carry a warranty if purchased online.

the first thing you need is a PAC a/v output adapter. this will provide an audio signal output and charge your ipod while driving.
Photobucket

next you'll need a PAC lc-1 volume control. this will allow you to control the volume. most shops use these for subwoofer control, but it's really just a potientometer. should be easy to disguise it with a dashknob. you need this, because when use the ipod output instead of the headphone jack, you will not have volume capability on the ipod itself.
Photobucket

these 2 parts should run around 50 bucks^^^^^^^^^

next you'll need an amplifier. any amp with rca inputs will do. for a small, clean, and cool running amp, i suggest the alpine PDX series. they're digital so you can stash them anywhere and not worry about them running hot. and they are pretty small for a powerful amp. not the cheapest, but very good.

of course you'll need speakers too.

mount your amplifier wherever you choose. be sure to put an inline fuse at least 12" from the battery. next hook up your speakers to the amplifier. speaker placement will depend on type of car etc.., so i won't go into that.

mount your LC-1 behind the dash, or inder or wherever. the knob just pulls off a splined shaft, and a small 8mm nut holds it in the mount. i usually remove it from the mounting box for more custom installations.

run an rca from the output side of the LC-1 to the input side of your amplifier.

next choose a spot you want your ipod. you'll need to run an rca from the a/v adapter cable to the input side of the LC-1. you'll also need a 12+ and ground wire run to the a/v cable to charge your ipod while driving.

ok, after all this is done, plug in your ipod to the a/v cable. make sure the gain control on the amplifier is all the way down. turn the LC-1 all the way up. choose a song and play it on the ipod. while the song is playing, adjust the amplifiers gain control up until the music starts to distort. now back off a bit and you've set your volume at max and should help your equipment live a long full life. ( if you amp has a crossover network, i usually set the x-over point at around 120hz highpass. it eliminates alot of distortion and will allow higher volumes. it's not the the most accurate for fine tuning, but in a car with loud exhaust, squeaks, etc...volume is a bit more important!)

so there ya go, everything you need to use an ipod in your car without the use of a headunit, or cheesy ipod speakers.
i would do a step by step tech, but i'm sitting at the airport waiting to ship-out, so i don't have access to a camera, or hot rod for that manner!! i'll do a complete one when i get back!

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down