G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

question on control arm bolts

5 posters

Go down

question on control arm bolts Empty question on control arm bolts

Post by riddick75 Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:47 am

ok for my 75 el camino, im getting ready to mount all my control arms to the frame and realized that I need bolts to do so...go figure. lol
so does anyone know of a place to get a set of all the bolts for our generation and a good price, Original parts group has them for 15.99 each, thats a little steep. thanks in advance for the feed back.
I found some on ebay but its for the generation before ours not sure of the compatibility.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-69-70-71-72-EL-CAMINO-OE-STYLE-REAR-UPPER-AND-LOWER-CONTROL-ARM-BOLTS-/290732029777?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b0fab751&vxp=mtr
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

question on control arm bolts Empty Re: question on control arm bolts

Post by brownbomber77 Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:55 am

A little way late...I hope you have the car together...but I just ran to lowes and got some grade 8 stuff and that's what's holding my suspension together at all 4 corners. Grade 8 bolts with washers on either said and steel locking nuts.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:20 am

brownbomber77 wrote:A little way late...I hope you have the car together...but I just ran to lowes and got some grade 8 stuff and that's what's holding my suspension together at all 4 corners.  Grade 8 bolts with washers on either said and steel locking nuts.

I did the same thing -- works like a champ.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:53 am

Just FYI to whom might need to know. But the front lower control arms on a 73 come with two different sized bushings and use bolts bigger than 1/2". I believe they are 5/8" to fit the frame brackets properly.

Just FYI.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:45 pm

That makes sense, they made the B-body's bigger, too. I just know on my Olds, they were 1/2 inch bolts. The bushings...I think...are the same way on most GM vehicles, 2 differnent sizes.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:28 pm

Yes the bushings are two different sizes but the bolts on the front of my 73 are not 1/2". They are bigger. I never measure them because mine were excellent so I just glass beaded and epoxied them.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:19 am

I too went down to the local fastener place and got gr8 with steel lock nuts zinc coated. About $8 a piece with the lock nut.

A bottle of anti-seize will do you well too.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down