G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discuss: Are Car Forums Dead?

+9
chevellelaguna
bracketchev1221
Roadcaptain S3
dynchel
ant7377
Dinomyte
Limey SE
bigredlaguna
Mcarlo77
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Discuss: Are Car Forums Dead? Empty Discuss: Are Car Forums Dead?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:03 pm

I've been out of the old car loop for a couple of years. (Long story, life happens) and have gotten back into the swing in the last few months. I've gone back to lurking in some of my favorite old car forums and they seem to be dead or on the way to being that way. Some have a few guys posting, mostly the same old trolls posting in the "bench racing" type sections. Some will go days or weeks without any posts at all. Odd because these are car forums relating to what are (or were?) popular models. Jeeps, Impalas, mustangs etc.
Some are easy to understand because the folks that owned or ran them killed them. Others just seem to have faded away.

Is it just me or are car forums becoming obsolete?

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Discuss: Are Car Forums Dead? Empty Re: Discuss: Are Car Forums Dead?

Post by driveit Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Still seem to be a lot of them around and still busy. I think that some of the older or smaller ones have sort of been pushed to the side as newer and larger or more well known forums have became more popular. I see you are in Ky. I live near Somerset, Ky myself.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm on a few forums, and not just for cars, and it seems to me that in the years I've been on them, that there is a rise & fall of activity during a long period.   People's interests change, as well as new people come to forums etc....
Also, there may be a couple hundred viewers, but only a dozen members on the site at times.....

A friend owns a golf course, and tells me that golf courses are going out of business an a fast rate. A sign of maybe younger generations not following the parent's leads etc. Of course, golfing is not exactly cheep either...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:12 pm

Understand that. Though about going once, then heard the price and decided to just go bowling. Bowling is fun, but don't get down there very often.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:19 pm

Age might be a factor, but I know plenty of younger folks that have an interest in 60's and up cars.
There's a Chevelle Forum I've been a member of for years.Activity there has dropped to almost zero. Same with a wrangler and fox mustang forums.

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:24 pm

I've noticed the past few summers that there seems to be fewer and fewer guys taking their cars out for an evening/weekend cruise around town like I used to see. The past couple of weekends, I've probably seen more on the road as people are getting in that last ride before putting them away for the winter.  Reminded me of what I used to see all summer long.  I think they're still in the hands of the owners...but, maybe this persistently sour economy and political atmosphere has dampened people's spirits and the enjoyment factor of getting the car out just isn't there like it used to be?  And, maybe that diminished interest has kept many from actively participating on the car forums?  Although, I follow a couple forums that seem to be strong...with many different members contributing.  So, who knows...
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:01 pm

I belonged to a forum (60oldsmobile.com) it was dead for a long time.  It finally dissapeared completely about a month ago.  Chevytalk is somewhat dead in most forums also. '58/'72 impala's, early '50's Chevy's, and trucks seem to be the only ones with daily posts.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Classic Oldsmobile.com is very popular on a daily basis
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:16 pm

I have been an active member on G3GM and Pro-Touring.com. I also drop by from time to time on gbodyforum.com All three of these are pretty busy. May fav is G3GM though... Smile
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:23 pm

G3GM seems a bit more active than in years past. Certainly more donating members than there used to be and that's GOOD.

CT is one of those I was talking about. Chevelles.com still active, but not a much as it used to be.

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:44 pm

Roadcaptain S3 wrote:Age might be a factor, but I know plenty of younger folks that have an interest in 60's and up cars.
There's a Chevelle Forum I've been a member of for years.Activity there has dropped to almost zero. Same with a wrangler and fox mustang forums.

The older Chevelles, Jeeps, and fox 'Stangs can practically be built via mail order. It would be rare to have a problem that hasn't been found and fixed already.

I see a lot of "older" forum members bash or otherwise be condescending to a youngster with a generic question for not using the search function. Behavior like this is a turnoff and decreases the chance of someone using a particular forum again. I have noticed that when I do a general internet search on a topic, the most recently active forum is more likely to be first in the list.

I also agree that activity in car forums is a bellweather of the economy to a certain degree. This is an expensive hobby. My daughter wants to get her old car fixed and painted. Just the paint is going to be around $500.00. Red can double that cost. Guess what her first choice is?
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Yeah, good point. Newbie bashing is a sport on some forums. There is an Impala SS forum that is croaking slowly for that reason.
"Do a search dumba$$" Being a common response there to any question.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:46 am

this forum seems to going just fine, and Welcome Back Captain !!
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:11 am

Ever check out yellowbullet.com ? That forum is booming! Its pretty harsh there though in the trash or be trashed section but the different tech forums are loaded with info. Mostly drag racing stuff but lots of good info anyone could use too. For pontiac stuff,performance years forum also has lots of activity. The hobby has for sure slowed down. I think the extra dough just isnt out there and thats what is doing it.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:41 am

I don't know about other board but this one has been great!! Help is always there, people are friendly. Information is good.

Nobody has ever bashed me and I know I've asked questions that I've found the answer to right after posting, still only gotten a "look here" type of answer.

I think it really depends on the members more than anything else.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:07 am

Yup^ thats really true.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:12 am

Most members here are a little older. A coworker was on a Nissan 240 forum and there was a lot of "bashing" on it, but you figure most of them were probably tuner vin diesal wantabes.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:15 am

Limey wrote:this forum seems to going just fine, and Welcome Back Captain !!

Thanks, Antonio!
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:47 pm

The forums I'm on wont tolerate flaming each other. The El Camino Central site seems to stay busy enough. Of course it has 3+ generations, so quite a few members are on there.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:20 pm

pila wrote:The forums I'm on wont tolerate flaming each other.   The El Camino Central site seems to stay busy enough.  Of course it has 3+ generations, so quite a few members are on there.

Bill, you're old and you dress funny. There you've been flamed here too!!! lol!
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:55 pm

I think you're giving him entirely too much credit....I'm sure there are days where he forgets to wear clothes at all.......
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:17 pm

I just KNEW I should keep those curtains closed ! Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:49 pm

lol.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:53 pm

I have to say I think these forums are doing great.  Some better than others, but still popular overall.  I have been a little quiet on here as I have started my normal winter projects.
  No matter what I am working on, I usually like to switch gears for winter a take care of a few little jobs.  This year I am:
- restoring a gas pump for in front of my garage
- doing some upgrades to my new Camaro; oh by the way I bought a new Camaro...
- cleaning, and tinting the glass for my 1974 and getting some of it set back in the car
- and if this all gest done, I have an older original motor cross bike I have been gathering parts to restore

I may have been quiet on this site, but I have been on the Camaro and gas pump sites everyday,  I could not do most of this work without these sites and the parts they lead me to.  Just like you guys....

Wait till I get some pics of the new Camaro posted!

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:30 pm

I just started color sanding the Elco, and I've never been flamed on a forum (YET !) Smile And my dog is a female boxer, a 75 pound lap dog......that is spoiled beyond belief ! Very Happy

And my '74 Malibu has a clunk noise underneath that I can't locate the source of.... Mad

Let's see....what else can I up date here.....

By the way, this is a great place !~ Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next