G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what are proper fasteners for rear seat bottom?

4 posters

Go down

what are proper fasteners for rear seat bottom? Empty what are proper fasteners for rear seat bottom?

Post by clanceman427 Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:12 am

This is for a 1973 Chevelle SS. I noticed my project car is missing the 2 fasteners that go horizontally in and hold the sear bottom in below the seat at the end of the carpet on both sides.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

what are proper fasteners for rear seat bottom? Empty Re: what are proper fasteners for rear seat bottom?

Post by Keith Seymore Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:47 am

clanceman427 wrote:This is for a 1973 Chevelle SS.  I noticed my project car is missing the 2 fasteners that go horizontally in and hold the sear bottom in below the seat at the end of the carpet on both sides.

They are a pointed bolt with a captured loose washer.  They look like a radiator support bolt, or fender bolt, only (probably) a different size.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.ebayimg.com/04/!CBk)7hgBGk~%2524(KGrHqN,!ikE0HK%252BP)u,BNIQI3Po2!~~_35.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mercury-Lincoln-fender-bolts-5-16-18-x-1-black-/200561107136&h=225&w=300&tbnid=mcbrzSQ76xu8KM:&docid=41M46PqbyO_ozM&ei=SwX4VZitOMSTyATQ2KuQDA&tbm=isch&ved=0CEgQMygkMCRqFQoTCNj-xvb7-McCFcQJkgodUOwKwg

I'd have to pull one out to check the size, but they are relatively "big": like maybe 3/8" by 1.5" long.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

what are proper fasteners for rear seat bottom? Empty Re: what are proper fasteners for rear seat bottom?

Post by 77mali Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Here's what they look like.   They have a big a$$ washer.  I think Keith is correct on the size.  I can get you a more accurate disc. over the weekend but at least you know what to look for in the "misplaced screw & bolt" containers.  (I have a few of those! LOL)

what are proper fasteners for rear seat bottom? <a href=what are proper fasteners for rear seat bottom? Dsc01410" />
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:58 pm

What's the wire for..?
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:33 pm

Cool thanks for the info guys!
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:53 am

chevellelaguna wrote:What's the wire for..?

It's the speaker wire conduit.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:42 am

I pulled a bolt out last night; unfortunately it was an aftermarket bolt (not the factory issue version). But - it did look like it was maybe 5/16 diameter and measured 1.5" long.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:55 am

are the factory bolts a sheetmetal type thread, or a machine thread? I'm guessing sheet metal because I was looking at my car last night, and it appeared that there is only a thru hole in the floor reinforcement, i.e. no welded or captured nut inside the reinforcement for the fastener to hold the seat bottom in place.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:59 am

clanceman427 wrote:are the factory bolts a sheetmetal type thread, or a machine thread?  I'm guessing sheet metal because I was looking at my car last night, and it appeared that there is only a thru hole in the floor reinforcement, i.e. no welded or captured nut inside the reinforcement for the fastener to hold the seat bottom in place.

I believe that is correct (sheetmetal type).  I think that is why I had an aftermarket fastener stuck in that side because the hole in the sheetmetal had stripped out.

I may pull the other side at my leisure, just to make sure. I was doing this while the car is in the trailer so it is a bit awkward.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down