G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring/C-Arm Tool

+3
riddick75
clanceman427
ant7377
7 posters

Go down

Spring/C-Arm Tool - Page 2 Empty Re: Spring/C-Arm Tool

Post by riddick75 Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:57 am

when I put my front springs in I didn't even have the weight of the body, just the frame. what i did was compress the spring with the compressor the most I felt comfortable with (seemed like the screw was starting to strip). I set it in the bottom arm and lined it up where it should go in the frame. took my floor jack and some strong straps and basically turned it into a press.
Spring/C-Arm Tool - Page 2 Imgp1210

started jacking till I could get the knuckle bolted, granted it was probably dumb but it worked, probably a few extra straps as safety would have been good, but I just worked quickly. Just throwing an idea out there if you haven't got them in yet.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:28 am

Thanks for posting.

I saw a similar method on youtube the other day. I'll most likely do something very similar. The only things I'd change is maybe using the spring compressor tool through the bottom of the lower arm just to hold it on so it doesn't pop out. I'll need a bigger jack too like what you have. Curious if you know what those straps are rated for?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:54 pm

I'd just watch the straps getting cut on any sharp metal edges. I always put the spring in a vice on the last coil and use the impact wrench to quickly compress the spring.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:13 pm

Or just use the threaded bolt and threaded hooks from an internal spring compressor.  Put a washer on the bolt and drop it through the shock hole in the frame.  Then suck the spring up into the frame pocket.  Then install the arm easily.
I know some have had a problem getting it done this way.  But I was super easy and quick for me.  Did it by myself in a very short time.

BTW, I'd install your motor mounts prior to putting the lower arm in place. Way easier to get to the bolts without that arm in the way.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:04 am

I had the compressor tool in there, think it was the center one but the hole on the top of the pocket was too small to fit the tool so I had to work it from the bottom.

Spring/C-Arm Tool - Page 2 Imgp1211

I tried with the tool on the lower arm but trying to swing the arm up the spring wouldn't move the way I needed it to, so I compressed the spring separate of the arms, set it in the top pocket, brought up the lower arm so the spring was lined up the best I could, got the jack in place and held and went from there. Not sure what the straps are rated for and being I didn't know how much force I was dealing with It wouldn't matter, in this case ignorance was bliss. lol don't get me wrong it did concern me if the straps would break thats why I made sure I was at least out of the firing direction of both the spring and strap snap back. For all I know it might have been the same video I watched that gave me the idea.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Oh Lord Joe....your avatar is the best!

Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks , Someone sent that to me.  I love that one.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by brownbomber77 Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:58 am

I did the same thing but used a chain wrapped around the bottom of the jack and wrapped through the upper control arm for stability.

brownbomber77
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:29 pm

We being car-nuts, we can usually figure out a way to do things, even without all the special ( read $$) tools to get the job done Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down