G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non-auto related

+4
Mcarlo77
chevellelaguna
clanceman427
JB2wheeler
8 posters

Go down

Non-auto related Empty Non-auto related

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:31 pm

Back when I was a youth everything was saved for parts. Now everything is a throwaway and nothing is repaired. Do you like to get your hands dirty working on things for the fun of it? I have a whole house and garage full of odds and ends, jars full of odd nuts and bolts. springs, etc. Nothing is worth a dollar. I need to give away stuff so my kids wont throw it in the trash. I have already gave away my air compressor and a cabnet full of air tools. JB2wheeler in Louisville KY
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Non-auto related Empty Re: Non-auto related

Post by clanceman427 Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:55 pm

Just had this conversation with my neighbor who's owned an auto shop for over 40 years. Cars, home appliances, hot water heaters etc all made disposable. Energy effeciency régulations on appliances have exact opposite effect. They need to weigh less so the parts are crap. I had to replace a compressor in a fridge that was only 2 years old last year.

We gotta keep the old stuff running as it's the only stuff that was built to last.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:57 pm

I hear ya on that. It's a shame how everything is just thrown away. I haven't bought a new lawn mower.... Ever. Lost count on how many I've gone through. Maybe 20. I get a free one before garbage day. We repurpose a lot of stuff. I make my son all sorts of stuff. Everything I have will be his, thankfully he's into tools and cars and stuff
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:19 pm

We have this conversation around our house all the time.  I'm one of the few among our family/friends/neighbors who actually does their own home/auto/appliance repairs.  Sometimes to the chagrin of my wife who has hopes of getting something new to replace an item such as a washing machine that quit working...only to learn I was able to tear it apart and replace a clutch A$$'y...LOL!  Just this past weekend, I repaired our 8 yr old 32" flat screen bedroom t.v.  Never attempted it before, but did some reading on symptoms on the interweb.  Went to Radio Shack and bought two capacitors for $4.00.  Spent about 20 mins with a soldering gun removing and installing new capacitors and it works like new. Seems this is a common problem among all brands. Makes me wonder how many t.v.'s are tossed when they could be so easily and cheaply repaired...
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:18 pm

clanceman427 wrote:   Cars, home appliances, hot water heaters etc

We gotta keep the old stuff running as it's the only stuff that was built to last.

I just replaced our Hot water Heater It was Manufactured 35 Years ago in 1981, Had ONE Element replaced in 1991 according to the writing on the side of tank

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:50 am

JB2wheeler wrote:Back when I was a youth everything was saved for parts. Now everything is a throwaway and nothing is repaired. Do you like to get your hands dirty working on things for the fun of it? I have a whole house and garage full of odds and ends, jars full of odd nuts and bolts. springs, etc. Nothing is worth a dollar. I need to give away stuff so my kids wont throw it in the trash. I have already gave away my air compressor and a cabnet full of air tools. JB2wheeler in Louisville KY

Just the other day was working on the Ambassador and on the truck/trouble light there is a spring loaded wire that goes into a connecter to a mercury switch. The wire had snapped off right at the end. Went to the junk drawer of my tool box and found an old broken glass tube type fuse holder with the same wire with the connecter attached. Wife was there and said she now understands why I keep the stuff I do. WIN WIN!
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:40 pm

It's a throw-away society ... very disturbing.

That noted, wish I lived closer, JB, I'd come take a look at what you have....

2-DAY EVENT Wink S Elgin IL, with restaurant & hotel discounts:
http://www.oldcarsstronghearts.com/2016/07/12/tuesday-trip-69/
"I just turned around & there's nobody there" __ Heart __ 'Stranded'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:00 pm

worked at a shop few yrs ago and customer wanted new headlight lenses and bulbs. told them nothing wrong with bulbs ( i just replaced 2 weeks earlier) . their buddy said it had to be done so i i did kept the bulbs in my tool box mind you that is a move from tenn to iowa and coulple moves in between and 6 yrs ago our little mini van had light go out and just happened to be the same number so holding that part for that long saved me $10
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down