G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

73 El Camino in Sweden -- please help with front bumper to rear tire distance

4 posters

Go down

73 El Camino in Sweden -- please help with front bumper to rear tire distance Empty 73 El Camino in Sweden -- please help with front bumper to rear tire distance

Post by JohnS Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi Folks,

We just bought a 1973 El Camino, and now we need to transport it home. We can rent a car transporter but the bed is not that long so if anyone with access to a 73 El camino could measure from front bumper to rear tire. I know the front bumper is huge, on a Cutlass 76 it's pretty easy to remove, is it about the the same on a 73 El Camino just in case we need to remove it to get it on the truck.

Cheers John

PS: Will post more when I get it all home Smile

JohnS
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

73 El Camino in Sweden -- please help with front bumper to rear tire distance Empty Re: 73 El Camino in Sweden -- please help with front bumper to rear tire distance

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:30 pm

I don't know what the bumper to rear wheel distance would be, but the wheelbase should be 116". I would think the bumper would clear height-wise most transports unless it has some kind of wall or obstruction that it can't get past. Welcome to G3GM.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

73 El Camino in Sweden -- please help with front bumper to rear tire distance Empty Re: 73 El Camino in Sweden -- please help with front bumper to rear tire distance

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:32 pm

And yes, the bumper is easily removed like the Cutlass.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Measured my 77 El Camino, don't know if it is the same as 73. From my bumper guards to rear wheel is 164 inches.
73 El Camino in Sweden -- please help with front bumper to rear tire distance Img_2323
73 El Camino in Sweden -- please help with front bumper to rear tire distance Img_2324
According to the factory specs it would be 156.1 inches to center of rear wheel.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:59 am

The front bumper is pretty easy to remove. If you take the nuts and bolts at the frame and pull the bumper with the shock bumpers, you will get alot more room on the trailer. Im going to go and look at a 73 elcamino original ss with 454. Its on the Way here from the us. A friend of mine is importing it. Welcome to the best site for 3G

Regards from Copenhagen Denmark
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnS Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:09 am

77camino wrote:Measured my 77 El Camino, don't know if it is the same as 73. From my bumper guards to rear wheel is 164 inches.
According to the factory specs it would be 156.1 inches to center of rear wheel.

Hi

Super thanks, looking at your pic and looks like it, add say 4" safe keeping to keep rear wheel from falling off would be 160". Bed is 159.5" and that is a transporter so the cab is in front, if it was a trailer no problem with bit overhang in the front but when a transporter/hauler the cab is kinda hard. Think removing the front bumper will help to have some safety margin. Thanks for all the support from you all.

Cheers John

JohnS
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down