G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'74 el Camino on local CL - Opinions and info

+5
pila
crice63
Podor
Mcarlo77
77camino
9 posters

Go down

'74 el Camino on local CL - Opinions and info Empty '74 el Camino on local CL - Opinions and info

Post by BAS-Sr Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:20 am

I have seen this '74 el Camino up on a local CL for awhile now. Looked at it, from what I know the description opposed to what I see has some issues about being accurate.

Here is the URL to the ad:

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/6380436082.html

I had a '75 Classic back in the 1980's, really enjoyed that one, but it was a rust bucket that I fixed and after another 5 years was starting to rust out from the bottom up, so I sold it. Few years ago I bought another '75 SS, pretty clean, attached pic's of each.

I am fairly knowledgeable about these, but no GURU!

In the '74 the guy lists this as an SS numbers matching 454. OK, so 1st thing that jumps out at me is the body side moldings which I think only the Classic model had these, no SS's had them, should be like my '75 SS, stripes, no body side moldings. 2nd thing is the square headlights, '76-'77 only.

I asked the guy for a pic of the COWL tag and the VIN tag, should at least tell me if it was produced with a BBC if the 5th digit in the VIN is a Y.

I don;t see anything in my reference book for a note on the COWL tag other than 1AC80 for a "Pickup Delivery" and 1AD80 for a "Classic Pickup Delivery", nothing denoting a difference for an SS?

COWL tag should have AN7 if the swivel buckets are original.

If the VIN has the Y in 5th digit, I know how to check to see if the BBC 454 is original (should be stamped CWX, CWD, CXR, or CXS with last 6 digits of VIN on pad, might be stamped above the oil filter too!), same thing for the Turbo 400 and the rear.

Probably going to take a ride over to see it this weekend if the guy is available.

Anyone have any other input?
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

'74 el Camino on local CL - Opinions and info Empty Re: '74 el Camino on local CL - Opinions and info

Post by BAS-Sr Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:23 am

Pic's this time!
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

'74 el Camino on local CL - Opinions and info Empty Re: '74 el Camino on local CL - Opinions and info

Post by 77camino Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:28 am

The moldings are a dead giveaway that it is not an SS. I can't believe anyone would go the the effort to install all of the two tone trim, wheel well and rocket moldings. Also from my phone the dash emblem appears to be red, which would also mean a non SS. I'm sure this originally was a two tone classic.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:08 am

BAS-Sr wrote:Pic's this time!

I thought there was a way to post pictures to a message on this site not using an outside website?
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:58 am

I use the Host an Image icon when attaching photos from my computer.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by Podor Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Regardless, $5500 seems fair for a big block car with swivels and full guages. I'm sure if it was real the price would be higher.
Podor
Podor
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by crice63 Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:38 am

I agree with Podor—$5500 seems a fair price for all the options, SS or not. Do I see the cruise control on there too? It just irks me when someone represents a car to be what it’s not. I’d look closely for rust, and for the newer style headlights to be on as a collision repair. Still though, it’s a good looking car.

crice63
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:15 am

Podor wrote:Regardless, $5500 seems fair for a big block car with swivels and full guages. I'm sure if it was real the price would be higher.

crice63 wrote:I agree with Podor—$5500 seems a fair price for all the options, SS or not. Do I see the cruise control on there too? It just irks me when someone represents a car to be what it’s not. I’d look closely for rust, and for the newer style headlights to be on as a collision repair. Still though, it’s a good looking car.

Agree to a point, spoke with the seller, the rear wheel wells seem to have quite a bit of rust, he said there are holes so sounds like it is like the '75 Classic I had back in the 1980's (that's why I sold it, wheel wells and bed rusting out). Have to see how extensive the rust is (wheel wells, bed, smugglers bix, bottoms or doors....etc..).

I looked at some of the pictures, he lists cruise but did not see the cruise in the motor compartment.

Might get a chance to go see it on Sunday.
BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:45 pm

I see that it does have cruise. Headlamp assemblies are '76-'77. That's what I have on my '75, because that's what I had !! Very Happy
It is a nice looking Elco. A further inspection of the under-body would be mandatory in my opinion, like under the floors, beams under the bed & above the tanks etc.
Price seems OK to me...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by BAS-Sr Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:32 am

Called him several times yesterday, left VM's. He finally called me back early evening, said he was busy watching the game? We had talked on Saturday, said he was fine with me coming over on Sunday morning.

Tried to set a new time when I could go over to see it, guy just kept telling me how much it is worth, seemed really flaky, price kept going up. Did get some more info from him, rust is pretty prevalent, dash is cracked. He said is is available all week, but still could not set a time when I could go see it?

I think he really does not want to sell it, kept say that he just might keep it.

BAS-Sr
BAS-Sr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Sounds like a nut or a crook.
Let him keep it.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:34 pm

It has become daunting to buy a old car anymore. The games, the barrett jackson fever, the misinformed and the plain ole dishonesty.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:06 am

Other than the Barrett-Jackson effect, I think the rest of those things were always part of buying a car. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down