G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Power Steering tighting advice

Go down

Power Steering tighting advice Empty Power Steering tighting advice

Post by KC77Monte on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:34 am

So I am replacing the belts on the monte this weekend and while tighting the power steering pump,can not find a good place to apply pressure to the pump to tighten the belt other than the reservoir. To me that doesn't seem like a good spot to be applying any pressure. Any tips you guys care to share on this? Thanks
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Power Steering tighting advice Empty Re: Power Steering tighting advice

Post by Joe73 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:25 am

Dont know if yours has this but I had an 83 oldsmobile years ago and the power steering bracket actually had a square hole on the edge of it. Stamped into the metal. It was on the front of the bracket top edge. It allowed me to put a ratchet (dont recall if it was 3/8 or 1/2") in the hole and easily pry on it to get the belt tight.
Just a thought in case you have that hole and havent noticed it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino on Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:15 pm

I’ve had the same problem. I do not have a square hole for a ratchet. I have just planted my feet against the tire and pulled back as tight as I can with my hands and have my wife tighten the bolts. Seems to be tight enough, no slippage.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:50 am

I remember seeing in a manual or someplace a technique that GM recommend for doing this,but I can't remember where I saw it or what it was. I'm going to see if I can find it.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:29 am

Always used a large pair of channel locks and pulled up using the brackets. Works quite well.
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down