G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2GC to QJet Swap

+5
Dinomyte
pila
Hawk03
Hs1973
73ss
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2GC to QJet Swap - Page 2 Empty Re: 2GC to QJet Swap

Post by 76 Malibu Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:17 am

fasrnur wrote:My 75 has a stock bottom end, heads and cam. I switched to a ZZ4 intake, Quadrajet carb, headers with 2 1/2" exhaust with Thrush welded mufflers. I'm not sure of the rear gear, but I'm pleased with how it performs. Still get's 15-18 on the highway and has no problem getting out of it's own way. Very Happy
2GC to QJet Swap - Page 2 Kimg0412
2GC to QJet Swap - Page 2 Dscf4113

Thanks for the feedback. Perhaps headers would be a better investment at this time. I am not sure though about getting my manifold bolts out without them breaking. I was also worried about cam wear on the engine as it has about 100K miles and I know SBC's from this era had some cam issues (mind you it runs fine). I already have dual exhaust on the car, but not quite as nice as your setup. Please share some details on the exhaust. What headers are you running and how was the install?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:39 am

Thanks Joe. It was done by a local shop. I've had them do my exhaust before and the young man that does it is a wizard with exhaust.
I have "Store brand" headers that I got from Summit 76 Malibu. They went in without a lot of trouble. I had to remove the frame braces to get them to clear, but other wise they went in pretty good. I believe I had to lift the engine just a little to get the drivers side in.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:08 am

Very nice. I've never had to lift my engine to install headers. I've installed several sets of "blackjacks" (back in the day), and hooker competition headers.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:37 pm

I when I say I had to lift the engine Joe, I mean I only had to take the bolt out of the drivers side mount and lift it up about an inch or two. Nothing too bad. And as for those Blackjack headers? They were in my book the best next to Hooker headers. I had a set on my BB 69 El Camino and I loved them. They had 2/18" primary tubes and very long tubes for sure. I would love to have put a set on my 75, but of course they went out of business years ago.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:06 pm

Thanks for the information about the headers.

Does anyone know if they may a repro air cleaner for the 4bbl carb? I'd like to keep my car factory looking under the hood after the carb swap, but I can't used the 2bbl air breather.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:21 pm

I've never had to take out the motor mount thru bolt. Might have to do with me not having power steering. Just a thought. The key to the install is MAX front end height if your not using a lift.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:15 pm

2GC to QJet Swap - Page 2 Kimg0215
2GC to QJet Swap - Page 2 Kimg0216
2GC to QJet Swap - Page 2 Kimg0217
I wanted to keep mine looking somewhat like it might have been if GM would have used parts from a 70 Z28.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:19 pm

Joe73 wrote:I've never had to take out the motor mount thru bolt.  Might have to do with me not having power steering.  Just a thought.   The key to the install is MAX front end height if your not using a lift.
I probably could have got the header in without pulling the thru bolt, but I just figured it would be a lot less headache pulling it and lifting it to slide the drivers side in.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks for the info on the breather and the engine compartment looks great. Pretty darn close to a 1970 Z/28. I will just go to an open element if I can't find a snorkel style. I'd like to find one that looks just like the factory if possible.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:14 pm

One word of advice on the air cleaner sir. Make sure it's off of a 75 up car. The 74 and older won't have the proper clearance on the rear of it to clear the H.E.I. dist. correctly as those had a points dist and smaller in diameter.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:02 pm

I may have the proper lower portion for the air cleaner laying around, will have to look. I do have a couple of cast iron non-egr intake for both small and big blocks laying around (q-jet intakes).
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:51 am

Iggy wrote:I may have the proper lower portion for the air cleaner laying around, will have to look.  I do have a couple of cast iron non-egr intake for both small and big blocks laying around (q-jet intakes).

Yes, I'd be interested in the base as long as it will work with my top. Do you have any pics? What kind of shape is it in?

I am okay for an intake, I already have one thanks.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:34 am

76 Malibu wrote:
Iggy wrote:I may have the proper lower portion for the air cleaner laying around, will have to look.  I do have a couple of cast iron non-egr intake for both small and big blocks laying around (q-jet intakes).

Yes, I'd be interested in the base as long as it will work with my top.  Do you have any pics?  What kind of shape is it in?

I am okay for an intake, I already have one thanks.

I will see if I can get over to my shop and get a pic, have not been there in a couple of weeks. No big deal on the intakes, I just threw that out there is someone needs one, not trying to sell but will if it helps someone out!
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:26 pm

I took a few minutes at lunch time today and went to my shop and took a quick look. I found an air cleaner from a 1986 Pontiac Grand prix with a 305, and one from a 1990 K5 350 TBI. I will have more time this weekend as I need to dig out a 454 block to take to the machine shop so I will have lots of time at my shop!
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:05 am

Thanks, let me know if you find anything else. I had a Chevy TBI truck, and I think those air cleaners are different.  The 305 GP once might be close though.  

This is what the air cleaner on my car looks like.  I'd like to have it look as close to this as possible.

2GC to QJet Swap - Page 2 76engi11
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:12 am

The TBI truck one points directly to the wheel well, the GP one is an air horn without elephant trunk. You are looking for the same one I have on my 1975 Laguna. I did have one somewhere (other than the one on my Laguna) but I did not have any elephant trunk so I will look more this weekend. I did have a couple of vehicles that went to recycler and I know some of the extra stuff laying around the shop got thrown in, I hope that was not one of them - I save all of my 4bbl air cleaners for this very reason!
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:53 pm

Iggy wrote:The TBI truck one points directly to the wheel well, the GP one is an air horn without elephant trunk.  You are looking for the same one I have on my 1975 Laguna.  I did have one somewhere (other than the one on my Laguna) but I did not have any elephant trunk so I will look more this weekend.  I did have a couple of vehicles that went to recycler and I know some of the extra stuff laying around the shop got thrown in, I hope that was not one of them - I save all of my 4bbl air cleaners for this very reason!

Thanks, let me know if you find it. I don't need the elephant trunk air intake, mine is in great shape.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2