G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2GC to QJet Swap

+5
Dinomyte
pila
Hawk03
Hs1973
73ss
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2GC to QJet Swap Empty 2GC to QJet Swap

Post by 76 Malibu Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:47 am

My Malibu has a 350 with a 2GC 2bbl carb. The carb is in need of a rebuild so I thought now would be the time to swap to a 4bbl. I found a used QJet in decent shape. Its carb number is 17082283. I believe this cross references a 1982 Chev truck with a H code 305 and a manual transmission.

Would this be a good carb for a 1976 350 2bbl? I'd buy a carb kit and overhaul it before I installed.

Besides the new intake, what else is involved with this swap?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

2GC to QJet Swap Empty Re: 2GC to QJet Swap

Post by Joe73 Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:11 pm

81 or 82 was the first year of computer controls on vehicles. Is that carb for a computer car? Its limited on what the computer controlled on the carb but I wouldnt use it if it were.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:25 pm

Sorry I should have specified this carb is a Canadian emissions carb. So it's like the pre 1981 USA carbs. Canada didn't get electronic Qjets until 1987 (for the most part). I have owned and rebuilt E4MEs and I much prefer the mechanical carbs.

I was just more curious how close the calibration, rods and jets etc, on this carb would be to run on my mostly stock 76 350.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:23 pm

That is a great carb to use. The trucks didn't get the electronic carbs, except for a few odd-balls with a computer controlled accelerator pump. It should be a 800cfm unit with electric choke. If no one has messed with it, the jetting should be very close if your engine is all stock. Once you install it and get it running, You don't want to see any fuel dripping from the boosters at idle. If you do, You'll need to open up the idle ports and the bypass air ports a few thousands.
If the throttle shaft is worn and has slop, There are several on-line companies that can rebuild the base plate for you. If its sloppy, It will be a vacuum leak.
I'm running a 17084228, same carb as you but mine was from an 84 305ci truck. I couldn't be happier with it. I have it on a 454. It did require alot of changes to idle happily on the 454. I get plenty of "armchair racers" that tell me I need to ditch it and get a holley. I just smile. You can pick up Cliff Ruggles Q-jet book and it will tell you exactly what to do. Lot's of good info.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:49 am

Thank you for the reply. Based on what you're telling me, this sounds like a great carb to buy. Being that this is a manual transmission carb, will it have provisions to hook up to a Th350?

Besides the intake, what other modifications are require to make this swap work? I am assuming I will need to make up a new fuel line, maybe modify the throttle linkage? Any parts needed?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:49 am

good catch, no it probably will not have the attachment for the kick down cable. See if you can get a pic. Unless you want to swap base-plates with another carb, You'l have to find another carb with the attachment.

You'll need to round up a 4 barrel throttle cable bracket & fuel line. The cable itself should be fine with the 4 barrel.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:41 am

1982 truck carb is a great on for replacement, you may want to look at Cliff's High Performance for your rebuild kit - his kits are compatible with alcohol in the fuel if you have that problem. He can also advise you on jetting for your set up. My experience with the 305 truck carbs is they were too lean with the factory jets, I usually had to step up to 74 primaries to get them to work properly on a 350 or 400 SBC
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will check out Cliff's for a kit. When I have a chance I will see if I can gets some pics of it to see if it has the kick down attachment.

How hard is the 4-bbl throttle cable bracket to come by? Will any 4-bbl Q-jet Chevy work?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:43 pm

The throttle arm on a stick-shift carb doesn't have the provision for the "kick-down cable". like mentioned. The bracket to hold the throttle cable & TV cable, is available from multiple sources, like Summit Racing etc, and maybe even local auto stores..usually in chrome plated versions. When I switched my '74 Malibu to a 4bbl, I had to get a new throttle cable, but mine is for a Holley, so yours may work with a Q-jet. The 2-bbl carbs were phased out bu GM, due to too many warranty issues,and went to the Q-jet.
Never had a issue with the 2bbl 2GC carbs myself.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:14 pm

I did that same swap this past spring and did not have to change anything when it came to the bracket for the cable or change the cable itself. I did have to change/ make a new fuel line though. Not a tuff swap at all.

On a side note. I usually get about 16-18 on the highway with mine running at about 2600-200 rpm on the highway.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:52 am

fasrnur wrote:I did that same swap this past spring and did not have to change anything when it came to the bracket for the cable or change the cable itself. I did have to change/ make a new fuel line though. Not a tuff swap at all.

On a side note. I usually get about 16-18 on the highway with mine running at about 2600-200 rpm on the highway.

Do you have any pics showing the setup?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:36 pm

2GC to QJet Swap Kimg0212
2GC to QJet Swap Kimg0213
2GC to QJet Swap 101018102GC to QJet Swap 10101811
2GC to QJet Swap 10101812
2GC to QJet Swap 10101813
Hope this helps and sorry for the poor quality of the pictures sir.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:46 am

For the folks needing Q-jet parts for tuning or repairs, here's a place I've used: http://quadrajetparts.com/shipping.php

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:39 pm

I am a bit confused. All of the elcaminos and chevelle i have owned has the kickdown kable attached to the trottle pedal under the dash? Why would he need a carb with a kick Down bracket ? On what looks like an original car. Mine have been different years and all have had the kick Down kabel going trough the firewall to the pedal, or am i missing something? Just curious
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:06 pm

As far as I know, the gas pedal for the cable was phased out around 1975.  My '74 had that, which I switched over to the later type....

Also, I have two throttle cables, if anyone wants 'em ...just for postage ! Very Happy

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks for the pics, they are helpful. If all goes well, this will be one of the swaps I do on the car next spring. I haven't had a chance to go check out that carb again, but its only $100 so I may go for it regardless.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:54 am

Ok that makes sense then. My current chevelle is a 75 wich has the gas pedal kickdown kabel. I havent had one from 76-77 so i just thought all years had them. Thanks for clearing that up
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:16 am

I don't even have my kickdown cable attached to the carb or transmission. Its attached to the bracket but not to the carb, its just hanging in the engine bay.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:14 pm

This got me thinking about what I went through when I converted from the 2gc to a QJet many years ago on my original stock 305.

Needed the following :
intake,
throttle cable bracket, and maybe the cable too (can't remember),
kickdown cable bracket,
breather,
and a fuel line

several years after that the 305 was replaced with a 355, that same QJet didn't need any major adjustments only minor tune up type adjustments.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying that Qjet. It looks in decent shape. I will rebuild it over the winter and do the swap next year. I might have Cliffs rebuilt the base plate and probably get a kit from him too.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:23 pm

There is a place called Mountain Man carbs, which the guys on the El Camino forum use, with great results. And they even have an exchange program, so the down time is minimal..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:33 pm

For what it's worth I got the kit I rebuilt the Q-Jet with at the local CarQuest.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:51 pm

Just to update, I ended up stripping the carb and sending it down to Cliff's. I had him rebuild he base plate and clean and replate the main body and top. He also fixed the leaking wells on the primary side (they had already been epoxied by the previous owner, but he said they were leaking). He also said that the carbs rods and jets too lean. So he sending me up some new jets and rods. It is on it's way back with a new rebuild kit. I should be able to get it together over the next month when I have time.

I will probably pick up a Edelbrock 2101 and get this swapped sometime in the spring early summer when I have time. If I eliminate the EGR, will I have to recurve the distributor too? I was thinking of checking it over while I was at it.

I was also thinking of doing a mild cam swap at this time? Not sure if it's worth while on a stock L65, since I still have 2.73 gears? The long term plan is to do a full rebuild on the engine, but not for at least a few years. So I'd like to have a good runner in the mean time. It runs great now, other than having very little power (the 2G seems to be running lean).
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:31 am

My 75 has a stock bottom end, heads and cam. I switched to a ZZ4 intake, Quadrajet carb, headers with 2 1/2" exhaust with Thrush welded mufflers. I'm not sure of the rear gear, but I'm pleased with how it performs. Still get's 15-18 on the highway and has no problem getting out of it's own way. Very Happy
2GC to QJet Swap Kimg0412
2GC to QJet Swap Dscf4113
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:58 am

Thats a nice tucked exhaust. What brand are the pipes or were they custom bent? Thanks
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next