G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear End Coil Spring Perch/Mount - Different Designs

+5
bigredlaguna
Joe73
77camino
73ss
ant7377
9 posters

Go down

Rear End Coil Spring Perch/Mount - Different Designs Empty Rear End Coil Spring Perch/Mount - Different Designs

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:53 pm

Today I stumbled across something I've never seen before when doing a rear end swap. When looking at the spring perch on the rear end I just removed from my 77 El Camino, it appeared to be a different shape and location from the one I'm installing on the vehicle. The replacement rear end came from a 74 El Camino. I've always assumed these housings where identical. Well that's not the case with this project. Here's a video showing both rear ends.

https://youtu.be/uAb2IXqIUfo

Rear End Coil Spring Perch/Mount - Different Designs 20190417
Rear End Coil Spring Perch/Mount - Different Designs 20190416
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Rear End Coil Spring Perch/Mount - Different Designs Empty Re: Rear End Coil Spring Perch/Mount - Different Designs

Post by ant7377 Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:56 am

The later one seems more robust. Maybe there was a problem with failures. Especially on an Elcamino with a load in it.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Rear End Coil Spring Perch/Mount - Different Designs Empty Re: Rear End Coil Spring Perch/Mount - Different Designs

Post by Joe73 Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:12 am

Any chance one is a chevy rear and the other is BOP ? Just a thought.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:29 am

No, both are c-clip rear ends but that's and interesting question. I have a BOP rear end that uses the axle retainers on my 75 454 El Camino so I'll get some pics of it and see what it looks like.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:13 pm

I haven't seen that before. When I did my rear I noticed that one of the perches was a degree or 2 off from the other side. I went ahead and installed it and the spring is sitting fine and the ride height is the same side to side. If it was off I was going to cut it off and re-weld but it's fine.

Of course I did not notice it until after I blasted, clean, Prime & painted the rear. It's a BOP rear, the perch looks like your first pic.
I would think the perch in your second pic would have started to fold over from the weight.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:34 pm

Looks like my 75 SS 454 El Camino with BOP rear end have the square spring perches like the 74 rear end. I have a 76 El Camino parts car that I'll check this weekend to see how its setup. I'm thinking the later rear ends have the round spring perches since GM tried to save weight and reduce production costs in the mid to late 70's.

Rear End Coil Spring Perch/Mount - Different Designs 20190418
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:49 pm

Thought that all the rear ends with 11" drum brakes might have the round spring perches. But that is not the case. My 76 SS El Camino parts car has the square spring perch. Does anyone have a 77 El Camino or Malibu they can check?

Rear End Coil Spring Perch/Mount - Different Designs 20190419
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:17 pm

My '77 Malibu has the round perches

Hawk03 wrote:
Rear End Coil Spring Perch/Mount - Different Designs 20130716
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Interesting... Might be a 77 only thing??? Hawk03, did you get your steering column installed?
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:34 am

My 77 El Camino has the round perches alsoRear End Coil Spring Perch/Mount - Different Designs 9fb75010
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:40 am

Cool. Looks like this is exclusive to most or all 77 A-Body vehicles. I'm wondering if they did this for better suspension geometry? Or this was some cost cutting change in production?
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:43 pm

I highly doubt a different style spring perch on the axle, that still lines up with the same pocket on the frame up top, would have any change to geometry. Geometry would be greatly effected with repositioning the upper and/or lower control arms or angles.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:34 pm

g3chevy wrote:Cool. Looks like this is exclusive to most or all 77 A-Body vehicles. I'm wondering if they did this for better suspension geometry? Or this was some cost cutting change in production?

Cost cutting 100%. This design change doesn't affect performance, and the miniscule amount of weight reduction per car translates into big savings on raw material cost.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:16 pm

Cost cutting makes perfect sense. But I'm still wondering why they would move the mount 1/2" further out from center than the original design? Could be so the brake line tucked under it nicely like the earlier version but using less material? Who knows. I've seen many different variations in designs from hoods, hood latch brackets, swivel bucket seat bases, fenders etc. so I guess this is just another one of those...
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:37 pm

g3chevy wrote:Interesting... Might be a 77 only thing??? Hawk03, did you get your steering column installed?

Not yet, the weather turn cold quickly last year before I could paint the shaft and touch the column from where I scratched it trying to install it before. I bought a dash pad too and wanted to install everything (shaft, column and dash) at once but need to paint the dash pad. Its finally warming here so I can start painting everything.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:16 pm

Winter just keeps lingering on this year. I've had the same issue with painting, but mine is because its been too wet or humid. We finally got a nice weather weekend so I'm hoping to get some stuff done as well. Keep me posted on the column install. Just want to make sure it works for your setup.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:34 am

There is sometimes weird things you find on 2 identical cars. Small brackets thats changed or different designs on latches. 
When i restored my chevelle 75 i actually bought 73 fenders thinking they where the same, however even if they look the same they fit like crap to the light buckets and the hood. Ive been having a tough time when i put the fenders on. 

They lined up Nice to the doors since they Came from the same car ( rustfree California junkyard elcamino) so there is defenently difference in parts from year to year or plant to plant.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:25 am

I was given a 1975 Olds Cutlass rear axle and was told it has a posi - it does not, but I saved it from being scrapped! My plans are to rebuild it and gear it for my 1975 Laguna as I like the idea of eliminating the C-Clips. This thread made me take a closer look and the Olds axle has the heavier square spring mounts - I am like this axle more each day! I have the backing plates from a 1977 Monte Carlo with 11" drums that I will be putting on this axle so it will be a true Frankenstein axle when done!
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down