G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buyer of wheels from JEGS, beware

5 posters

Go down

Buyer of wheels from JEGS, beware Empty Buyer of wheels from JEGS, beware

Post by zucchi Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:28 pm

Moved and started a New section to Forum

Early last year, I bought four Rally wheels from JEGS that were made in China — I know, "Chinese made @%!#&$." I figured perhaps JEGS did rudimentary QC on them to make sure they spun true before they put their name on them. Anyway, of those four I received, only one was straight and true. I posted a review on JEGS along with this video (sorry for the initial handheld shakiness; the important parts are steadier)…

JEGS took the bad wheels back then sent out three replacement. The unboxing and QC video is here (this time, I used a tripod)…

Both videos speak for themselves. In summary, of the seven wheels I received from JEGS, only one spun true.

When I tried to post a follow-up review, JEGS rejected it and, in addition, deleted my original review. When I asked them why, they said only that it didn't meet their guidelines and gave no further explanation or details. Question I found that odd seeing how I gave them top marks in all areas other than the quality of their Chinese made product. Although I questioned their lack of QC, I praised their customer service because they paid for return shipping of the bad wheels and refunded me their cost.

I had been buying from JEGS for years but this experience has soured my relationship with them. I have since been shopping elsewhere for my performance products.

Your mileage may vary.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Buyer of wheels from JEGS, beware Empty Re: Buyer of wheels from JEGS, beware

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:10 pm

Hey. First off, welcome to the forum. I, like you, have been ordering from Jegs’s and Summit for a very long time. I got 3 cowl hoods from them for my 86 C-10 before we found one good enough to start with. They don’t have any quality control to speak of. Boxes come in and boxes go out. It’s just a Walmart for hot rodders. Too bad about your wheels. I hate waiting on parts to show up and then they are junk. I actually think it’s against the law to make anything in the USA anymore. Even our 4 home COVID kits are made in China.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by bucket Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:47 pm

Imho, Jeg's used to be a great company to buy from. The store workers were always super helpful, they were willing to sell individual parts from full kits (like exhaust pieces for example), returns were always no problem at all and they would even swap out worn parts when I felt they shouldn't even be responsible for it.

But not long after they built the new warehouse up in Delaware, they closed down two of the three stores in Columbus (or maybe the store closures happened first, I don't really remember anymore) and they did away with their master catalog booklet. They became harder to buy from around then. It seemed like nothing was ever in stock anymore either, you had to go back and get it the next day once the store received it from the new warehouse.

It doesn't surprise me about those wheels though. Most cheap steel wheels are not round in my experience.

bucket
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:52 pm

Lots of companies selling parts are having quality control issues. A buddy of mine just installed a new 454 in his square body truck and when we got ready to fire it up for the break-in it would not start. Squirted gas into the float bowl and down the throat and it fired right off but only ran for about 10 seconds. Turned out his brand new mechanical fuel pump was non-functional. Replaced it with a new one and completed the break-in procedure with no issues. Then several days later after he was driving his truck back from the muffler shop, it died on him half way home. Go figure, the brand new alternator he purchased for this build went bad. Had to replace it with a new one. When I finally got my Can Am running last year I had to replace the fuel pump as it when out shortly after it was brought back to life. No surprise there as it appeared to be original to the car. But when I replaced it with a new one from the local parts store, it immediately started flooding the carb. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it, and you guessed it, the fuel pressure was almost 9 psi. Had to install a pressure regulator on it and now all is good. I've had many other parts issues in the last 2 years that are too numerous to think about. Bottom line is the manufacturers of these parts don't have proper quality control procedures in place anyone as they once did. And I'm sure there are many reasons for this. Just be prepared to replace new parts along the way. Also, as far as customer service goes, both Jegs and Summit used to be great to work with. Now, not so much. I've moved all my business over to Speedway Motors since they had proved to have much better customer service. Just my 2 cents.

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:15 pm

Hey. Why didn’t you mention your friend with the bad electric fan module? I guess that guy is really not your friend.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:56 pm

REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP wrote:Hey. Why didn’t you mention your friend with the bad electric fan module?  I guess that guy is really not your friend.

Forgive me my friend, but I do have gray hair lol.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:53 pm

I bought my Ridler wheels a few years ago from Jegs and did not have any issues. I used the price match option and they matched the price from a different website.

I recently purchased Borgeson quick ratio steering boxes for the Malibu and C10. When the shipment arrived, the box only contained the steering box for the Malibu. I called customer service which asked a couple of questions to ensure it wasn't lost or stolen and they sent me another one which arrived a few days later.

A couple of weeks ago Jegs sold the majority of the company to a private equity firm. I hope that doesn't affect their service too much.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/44493/jegs-the-famous-auto-parts-catalog-company-sold-to-private-equity-firm
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down