G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps

5 posters

Go down

repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps Empty repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:32 pm

I am trying to find replacement wheels for my 76 sedan daily driver. I am looking at 15x7s so nothing exotic there. But I would like to keep my OEM hubcaps on them as they have Chevelle specific logos. Obviously different wheel designs can make it easy or impossible to mount any given hubcap. Any thoughts?
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps Empty Re: repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps

Post by 77camino Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:48 pm

You should be able to use the stock 15x7 rally wheels and just put your hubcaps on them.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps Empty Re: repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps

Post by Limey SE Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:49 pm

I have my four originals that Came on my second SE just plain Jane steel wheels if interested ??

repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps 100_2212

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:07 am

Limey SE wrote:I have my four originals that Came on my second SE just plain Jane steel wheels if interested ??

Did the SEs come with 15x7s? But I do wonder with 50 year wheels that they became a bit misshapen through use which is why I was looking for steel repros. It's a nuisance for you to ship them also. My only concern is that the OEM hubcaps wouldn't seat properly due to some slight change in the wheel design with repros. Let me first see if I can find something new that works but if not we can discuss if you still have them. Thanks
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:28 am

The 15x7's came on cars with the upgraded suspension (rear sway bar). I believe the RPO is F41
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:21 am

Iggy wrote:The 15x7's came on cars with the upgraded suspension (rear sway bar).  I believe the RPO is F41

Ah OK the 454 option. Was the later 9c1 option on the Impalas the same thing relabeled? They seem very similar.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:06 am

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:
Limey SE wrote:I have my four originals that Came on my second SE just plain Jane steel wheels if interested ??

Did the SEs come with 15x7s? But I do wonder with 50 year wheels that they became a bit misshapen through use which is why I was looking for steel repros. It's a nuisance for you to ship them also. My only concern is that the OEM hubcaps wouldn't seat properly due to some slight change in the wheel design with repros. Let me first see if I can find something new that works but if not we can discuss if you still have them. Thanks

These steel wheels were put 8n the car in 1984 when the turbines that came on it from dealer were robbed off it for another Vehicle from original owner and parked in a field of dreams till I got it a few years back so seen very little if any highway time .... Car was parked there for a blown motor and never looked at again till it was brought here

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:30 am

People do strange things with these poor cars. But that sounds promising. The wheels just sat in a field for 30 years. I suppose they can be cleaned up with vinegar and water or is there a better way? But yes I would be interested. There is no rush as my current wheels are quite functional at the moment. I would think we can proceed via PM rather than posting administrivia here. Thanks very much.

BTW is there a stamp code on them? I assume they were standard Chevelle NOS wheels bought in 84?

Last edited by 76Chevelle2Tone on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps Empty continuing the thread

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:53 am

After discussion, the offer by Limey is more of a backup plan in case repros don't work with OEM hubcaps. If anyone has experience with Chevelle 15" steel repros and then putting on OEM hubcaps I would appreciate greatly any info. Thanks again to responders here.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:36 pm

OK I contacted a few repro wheel makers and failed on some. But US Wheel has a series 65 (Rat Rod) wheel in 15 x 7 (and other sizes) that they say is OEM hubcap compatible. They furthermore said that a couple of people actually visited their factory site in CA with a 70s era hubcap and were able to successfully bang it on to the appropriate 65 series wheel. So unless someone naysays this company or wheel I plan to buy one such wheel to test my hubcap on. Wish me luck. BTW they are about $100 per wheel.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:59 pm

Up until about a year ago I had a set of original GM 15x7 JJ rims off of a 1977 Monte - basic black with a full hubcap.  When my son sold his 1966 Caprice as a roller, guess what they were rolling on!  I had used them as a spare set of rims since 1984!  But, I should not complain because his Caprice was rolling on a set of 1968 Corvette Rally  (15x8) which are now in my possession - and you know what they say about possession!
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:28 pm

Funny you say that Iggy LMAO

repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps 35760110
repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps 35699010
repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps 35756510

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:16 pm

I can now confirm that the US Wheel Rat Rod 65 Series does accept OEM Chevelle hubcaps as there is a perimeter flange. The 65 - 5743 is the !5 x 7 size I tested but the series ranges from 14" to 17" wheels so there are a number of size options. Surprisingly few repro wheels do accept the dog dish style hubcaps so this is a useful find. They have a decent black semi gloss finish.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:46 pm

So I finally got the US Wheel Rat Rods 15 x 7 wheels on with my new whitewalls. It is getting very tough to find the narrow whitewall design anymore from good quality makes. Ironically I saw more wide stripe whitewalls than narrow stripes. After a long search I ran across Nexen NPriz tires which had a narrow stripe model that was given a good technical rating. What held me up was drilling 4 hubcaps so that I could get the center plastic emblem on as described in a different thread. (https://www.g3gm.com/t13116-hubcap-wheel-cover-flapdoodle?highlight=hubcap)

It was nerve wracking because the tolerances were razor thin. The holes I had to drill were very close to the pre-drilled holes and if you miscalculated you merged the holes. I botched one hubcap and had to get another to finish. The large hubcaps fit very snugly on the Rat Rods so this was a big relief to be able to stay 70s stock. BTW I got DPA closed black acorn lugnuts.

repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps Ratrod10

Last edited by 76Chevelle2Tone on Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:53 am; edited 3 times in total
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:25 pm

This is what the Rat Rod series 65 wheel looks like FWIW. The 15 "  comes in various widths from 5 to 14.

repro wheels that can be fitted wth OEM hubcaps Series10
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:50 pm

Wish a guy could find the original 3/16" wide whitewalls without spending huge money with Coker. I went with the next best thing (3/8" wide) with Cooper Trendsetters a few yrs ago for the Monte.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:46 pm

Yes I hear you but it's getting tough out there with respect to narrow whitewall tires.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down