G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I finally got my 75 Chevelle!

+4
Laguna Budman
knightfan26917
Limey SE
BlackChevelleSS
8 posters

Go down

I finally got my 75 Chevelle! Empty I finally got my 75 Chevelle!

Post by HDHugger Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:57 am

Hi, my name is Jackie. My first car was a 75 Chevelle and I always wanted another. It has been hard to find one in good shape for a good price, but after over 20 years of looking, I finally did! It didn't help that I wanted the long rear-side window just like my first car. Original California car, it went to Michigan a few years ago and is now with me in Wisconsin. I can't wait until spring so I can get her out of storage! In the meantime, I may need some tech advise here. My husband is NOT a gearhead, but he can make any machine run and is willing to get down and dirty. That being said, this car is set up for racing, but we have never had a 383 Stroker motor, and never had a car with a timing gear in it. She seems a bit fussy in this weather, does NOT like the cold! I have a few other things to do before spring gets here, first and foremost being to replace the bench seat with buckets. With the shifter now on the floor, I can't move the seat far enough forward to reach the pedals! My other interests are photography and my 91 Harley. I look forward to chatting and am so glad somebody pointed me to this site!

~Carpe Diem~
Jackie

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

I finally got my 75 Chevelle! Empty Re: I finally got my 75 Chevelle!

Post by HDHugger Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:01 am

[img]I finally got my 75 Chevelle! Chevel12[/img]

Here's a picture of my new baby!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:10 am

Looks like a clean ride, welcome to G3GM. Post up your questions and im sure well help as much as possible.

I finally got my 75 Chevelle! SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:26 am

WELCOME ABOARD Jackie glad you could Join us here at G3GM I love the color of your car and what part of Wisconsin are y'all from I am just across the IL/WI border by 30 minutes in Byron,Illinois.

anything you need you will prob find here INCLUDING a set of buckets you need, they will need recovered but have them available.........well should say my buddy has them and now isn't gonna use them.

But none the less welcome aboard to both of y'all up there in packer country GO PACK

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:14 am

Howdy Jackie. Nice car, love that color.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:58 pm

Welcome Jackie. What exactly is the purpose of your car, is it going to be a daily driver? Just a weekend cruiser? A dual purpose cruiser/ weekend part time racer, or a full time racer? The engine sounds like it is so hopped up that you probably will not be able to use it as a daily driver and may be a little difficult as just a cruiser. When I built my car I built it as an all around car, but NOT a daily driver. I wanted the engine to be mild enough to cruise the criwded cruising sites but strong enougfh to get er done as a street..er, I mean..part time weeekend drag racer. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:41 pm

I bought it because it's the car I always wanted again, but I would have taken a stock 350 as long as it was in the right body style. I had no intentions of getting a car with this kind of setup, but the price was unreal and it was good timing. Took over a week to talk my husband into it, he finally figured out that I wasn't going to let this one go. Had to do the whole stomp my foot, hold my breath, get all upset thing, but now that we have it, he likes it too. Anyway, I can get about 11 or 12 mpg if I drive it nice, 5 mpg if I romp on it, so it's definitely not a daily driver! I am plannig to fix up the details that are left, like interior stuff and eventually a new paint job (same color I think) but in the meantime, it's pretty much ready for local car shows. I joined my mom's car club (she has a 57 Chevy) so I am hoping that we gt a lot of ideas from there as well.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:55 pm

Welcome to the club! If you look through some of my older posts, you might notice that your story is similar to mine! I lost my 76 & searched for nearly 8 years until I could find a large quarter window car with round headlights. Along the way I passed up on a couple of cars that just didn't fit the bill or had too much rust until I came here & was pointed out my current 76. Sure it had a 305 which isn't exactly what I had in mind, but here I am swapping in the motor that I want & doing upgrades as I can. What I'm trying to say is that even if the motor turn out to be too much (is that really possible? lol), swapping in something more tame isn't too hard & from the sound of it, you could probably get some decent cash out of the one that's in there.

I dig the Cragars & is that like a Black Cherry color? I look forward to seeing some more good pics from a photographer!
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:50 pm

They are actually American Outlaw II rims and yes, the paint is Black Cherry. It goes good with the tinted windows, and I need to put on some trim around the windows, so I think I am going to go with black trim. The car came with louvers for the back window, but those might go up on eBay before next winter. I'll have to put them on the car to see how they look, but I had loubers on my 80 camero and I hated cleaning the window under them. But for the pics, I might keep them around. I'm a little undecisive about it right now, although I've never seen a 75 with louvers, so we shall see. I look forward to chatting and am glad that you finally found your car too!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 pm

Now if he would just polish those cruddy wheels Razz

Joking-sounds like you got plenty to do at the moment.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:34 pm

LMAO! Yeah yeah... if it weren't for my car - the first G3 Chevelle to model these wheels - you probably wouldn't have given it thought. Razz
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:43 pm

OOOOOOO, Ya got me....

My nose is bleedin' Blow Up
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:36 pm

Haha, take it... take it all!

J/K man, I bet this could be the next trend. Kinda like how 68-72 guys used to use 3rd gen Z/28 wheels. They just look right. Probably because they remind me of an aluminum version of the Nascar wheel from back in the day or something.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:49 pm

I don't care what kind of tires are on the cars in here... I just love looking at all of them! After years of hardly any pics of G3 Chevelles, I feel like died and went to Malibu Heaven! This site rocks!!!! I never saw a 75 with a spoilier on it, that was diffferent. And all the cool motors, paint jobs, etc. The 15 year old with a Malibu, that is so great! I fell in love with my Grandma's when she bought it and I was only 8. I had to wait until I was 16 to get that car. Someday I will post pics of it, but I'll warn you now... the pics I have are from when they had to tow it out of the river in 1978! Pretty funny though...

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:01 pm

Yeah we got quite the diversity of G3 lovers here. Actually there's 3 or 4 teenager members here if I'm correct & the site owner is just 21. Just a shame that we haven't picked up many Buick or Pontiac guys along the way.......yet. Only one or two elky guys which is also a big surprise. There's guys like Limey who enjoy jacked up cars with tunnel ram & guys like Orangejuiced who like to go low & slow. I really don't think there is one solid theme on this site except that we all enjoy burning rubber in a G3 A-body. GoFast
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:34 pm

I like all of them, had a 73 Grand Prix, I think all G3 years of Cutlass, a few Monte Carlos and novas, but none got me like the Malibu. When I was my in my early 20's we bought and sold cars like they were pairs of jeans. I tried buying another car like my 76 Cutlass but it just wasn't the same. Taught me a good lesson though, I knew this one wouldn't be the same as my old 75 going in from the start, but now I like it just as much, so I'm good with it. I guess some cars or specific styles just get you and don't let go.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by knightfan26917 Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:36 am

Nice, Chevelle ... and WELCOME, Jackie! Smile

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker * my radio show.03/13/10 *
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"It's time to take a leap of faith" ... Steven Curtis Chapman ... 'Dive'
knightfan26917
knightfan26917
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Laguna Budman Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:45 am

Welcome Jackie and by the way very nice looking car. Look forward to seeing more pics!
Laguna Budman
Laguna Budman
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

I finally got my 75 Chevelle! Empty Pics of a "Chevelle River Boat"

Post by HDHugger Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:09 pm

HDHugger wrote:I fell in love with my Grandma's when she bought it and I was only 8. I had to wait until I was 16 to get that car. Someday I will post pics of it, but I'll warn you now... the pics I have are from when they had to tow it out of the river in 1978! Pretty funny though...

]I finally got my 75 Chevelle! Networ15[/img]

[img]I finally got my 75 Chevelle! Networ11[/img][img]

[img]I finally got my 75 Chevelle! Networ13[/img]

[img]I finally got my 75 Chevelle! Networ14[/img]

My grandma had a lead foot too... didn't care about snow, deer, bridges... I think it's in the family genetics now.

Last edited by HDHugger on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:38 pm

Go Granny GO!!
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:47 am

HDHugger, its a shame that beautiful car was totaled. Insurance companies will not repair a car that comes near the book value of the car and that model is valued by insurance companies at about $500.00. I had a Chrysler New Yorker that was restored and about a month or two later some guy pulled out of a liquar store parking lot in front of my daughter and the car was "totaled". They gave me exactly half what I had in it and I bought it back from them for scrap price and fixed it up again. It just was not the same car in my mind, so I traded it off. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:31 am

Shoooooot that ain't totalled, granny just went offroading & got stuck. Looks like she was rock crawling & got hung up.

Honestly, I've been in the same situation in one of my Eclipses because of a deer. I even drove it home after I got it yanked off of the pipe. The rear axle locator bar ripped from the subframe & it made for one hell of a 15 mile swervy ride though. affraid

On a side note, what is it with you northerners & your snow? Keep it up there, y'all seem to be sending the crap down my way a lot this year, lol.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:11 am

They didn't total it. She got it stuck there in 1978. In 1975, when it was 3 months old, she hit a bridge, smashed in the front end, spun 3 times and smashed in the back end. THAT time they should have totalled it, but in 1975 they didnt do that with new cars, they put it back together. I was with her one time when she hit a deer, but it wasn't any more damaged than when she put it in the river. My mom bought the car from her in about 1980 and I bought it from my mom in 1983 and drove it for 3 years before I finished her off. It sucked when I had to junk it! But by then, she was an old dog and had to be put out of her misery. I tell you, that car was a tank!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down