G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New paint job needed soon....

4 posters

Go down

New paint job needed soon.... Empty New paint job needed soon....

Post by HDHugger Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Because of my leaky windows, when my car is not at stoarge and the rain is coming, I have been covering with a tarp then the car cover. This was fine for over 2 months, then last week after having the tarp and cover on it for about 24 hours, I took it off and there are white spots all over the roof. I think it steamed the paint. I am SO UPSET! We are going to try and buff it out, and I hope it works, but I doubt it. I am seriously bummed.

Crying or Very sad

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

New paint job needed soon.... Empty Re: New paint job needed soon....

Post by The Dude Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Sorry to hear about the bad news. Hopefully it polishes up OK.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:26 pm

I'll find out Saturday... right before the parade on Sunday Sad

If it doesn't buff out, I will be hanging back, taking pics of the other cars in the club as they go down the road, then going home.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:29 am

Well, the verdict is in.

Option #1: They can repaint the roof, blending in the color, for $350 but he can't guarantee that it won't show. The paint job is about 10 years old, and not much clear coat was put on it when they painted it. The moisture from the tarp steamed right into the clear coat and the paint, which made the white marks all over the roof. It pretty much changed the color of the paint itself.

Option #2: The paint underneath the car is shrinking and causing stress cracks in a few places. He said the car is so solid, it's a prime candidate for a proper paint job, and since he sees feather marks from the previous paint job, along with a few wavering lines in the passenger door and the stress cracks in a few places, he wants to take it down to bare metal, do the block, fill and sand, etc. and repaint the same color. The wheel wells are perfect with the full lips and factory markings, and he said he has never seen a 75 Malibu in such great shape and so deserving of total restore. Total cost of complete body overhaul: $5,000 to $7,500.

I may get a few more estimates, but I believe I will go with option #2. I guess I better work more overtime so I can shovel a lot of cash into the savngs account.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:42 am

That better be one heck of a paint job for that price! I could go to the local Chevy dealership paint booth & get a FACTORY quality respray for about $2,000 - $2,500 TOPS with prep work included. My dad did this with his Harley & you can see for miles into the black paint. His cost was obviously cheaper, but the quality is still the same.

A total respray will probably be your best bet if you are taking it to shows, but get several estimates first.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:06 am

Obviously Rago has not priced paint jobs lately! The price of paint jobs has been at an inflation rate even more than that for health insurance, and thats saying something. Because of government air quality regulations paint manufactorers have been putting in overtime to improve paint and as a result the price of paint has skyrocketed. Then you take into consideration how much physical labor goes into a paint job, you have to practally disassemble the whole exterior of the car and strip all the old paint off, do any nessessary metal straightening and all that sanding and buffing. And then reassembled after the paint is done. Its worth every penny of cost. One thing, there are paint shops and there are paint shops, DON'T go by price alone! All right, that is settled, what color ya gonna paint it? JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:22 am

Same color, I love the color it is now. Bonus: that should save some money as far as not having to repaint where the door opens, inside the trunk, etc... This won't be a respray, it will be stripped and all bodywork done to fill in any defects. Plus, like I said, there are already feathermarks showing from the last person's work, and I want them OUT of there. A respray won't help the undercoat (which was green) that is shrinking, stress cracks, or the few places where I see dimples either. I really want it done the right way. Based on the fact that the metal is solid all the way around, I think it's worth it. I'll get a few more estimates, but what I liked about this guy is that I didn't have to show him any of the stuff that's wrong with the existing paint, he found it all himself, and the things he said, I don't disagree with any of it. Something I appreciate in a professional is when you don't have to show them what something needs, they can see it for themselves and they SAY it. If I take it to anyone who just looks at it and rambles off a number, I won't go back. I don't care how cheap they are.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 74Malibu383 Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:29 am

That's really a pretty decent price for all that work. Have you seen anything else he has done? Talk is one thing, seeing is another. Even if he doesn't have any current in progress jobs, I would imagine he has a few good customers that he can take you to.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:02 pm

Hmmm...... I guess it has been a while since the last time I had work done. Used to you could get a decent budget paint job for $300-$600 if you done the work yourself. I used my estimates for a complete job from beginning to finish off of what I have been quoted in the past. Embarassed I guess I hadn't realized how much price has inflated.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by HDHugger Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:28 pm

I see the cars that they have done sitting outside for sale, but those are the collision cars they put back together, repaint and sell. That's one of the brothers. The other shop is over in the next town. That brother does the restorations. He has pics, I am sure references as well. We will do our research before hiring anybody, and that includes looking up records on court access. I just got crappy stuff from somebody local, and losing $130 pissed me off enough. I am not going to gamble with $5,000 - $7,500.

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down