G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dying seat belts.

+3
74MonteCarlo
Mcarlo77
Roadcaptain S3
7 posters

Go down

Dying seat belts. Empty Dying seat belts.

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:04 pm

The shoulder straps on my Monte Carlo are getting faded. Anyone know of a good product/dye to bring them back to life? Not Snaake Oyl either. Also, something that won't rub off on you while the belt is on. I'm so happy to have a 'new' shop for my cars, and I can actually work on them! I can take them out of the car and put them on my big ol' work bench and dye them! Anywho, if you guys know of anything that's good, let me know about it! Very Happy Thanks!

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Dying seat belts. Empty Re: Dying seat belts.

Post by laguna454/4spd Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:25 pm

post pics of your new shop then i ll tell you how to do that bounce
laguna454/4spd
laguna454/4spd
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:57 pm

I'd like to know how to do this, also. I hear people talk about trying this, but isn't the seat belt fabric a nylon type material? And, I didn't think nylon (or any other plastic type material) is capable of absorbing a dye. And, if you are simply painting or coating them, won't it rub off over time?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:19 pm

I used Duplicolor spray dye. Looks good but it stiffened them up enough that they aren't very comfortable. i didn't dye them all the way down cuz I was afraid they would jam the retractor. just hit the faded spots and they look ok. I did it back in the spring, and it hasn't rubbed off yet.

I read that just about anything you use CAN cause them to weaken, and most "experts" recommend having them re-webbed.

I looked into it and only found a couple of outfits that would do it and they charged mucho dinero.

http://www.seatbeltsolutions.com/

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

If I recall correctly, the ssnakeoyl guys wanted $250 to redo a pair of swivel seat belts.

You might want to look into buying the webbing and having an upholstery guy sew 'em up for you.

link to some Camaro guys discussing it;
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D133183&sa=X&ei=CsunTK-nMcT_lge_xYnVDQ&ved=0CCAQrAIoADAA&usg=AFQjCNEDE1UqrnvNLkvrQJcXtnQ_2kx54g

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:29 pm

After reading some of the Camaro link comments, it seems to confirm my previous thoughts...you aren't really "dying" the fabric...more like painting or coating it. And, I suppose it makes sense that the chemicals attack the nylon fibers and could weaken them. Be curious to hear from others who have tried this.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:35 pm

Guess I'll leaved them as is. I'm too cheap to get the re webbed =P

Thanks guys!

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by laguna454/4spd Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:28 pm

74MonteCarlo wrote:The shoulder straps on my Monte Carlo are getting faded. Anyone know of a good product/dye to bring them back to life? Not Snaake Oyl either. Also, something that won't rub off on you while the belt is on. I'm so happy to have a 'new' shop for my cars, and I can actually work on them! I can take them out of the car and put them on my big ol' work bench and dye them! Anywho, if you guys know of anything that's good, let me know about it! Very Happy Thanks!
post pics of the new shop and i can fix that for you Very Happy
laguna454/4spd
laguna454/4spd
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:57 pm

For my Malibu, I bought the webbing and had a guy who repairs shoes sew the new belts. I had to dis-assemble the retractors etc, which is a real challenge to get back together, winding the belts back into the ratcheting mechanisms etc. I wouldn't do it again. At the time, like 5 years ago, I couldn't find a place to re-web the belts, or I would have had them done.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Rockford Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:06 pm

http://www.thegaragegazette.com/index.php Best place to talk about your new shop. Feel free to drop in, Lotta nice guys there. and no drama like at garage journal.
Jim_Rockford
Jim_Rockford
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:09 pm

done and done

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down